Why become a member? ×

Check this female bassist out.

bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425923933' post='2712336']
It still sounds like I am being forced to like it to me, if I do I'm a pervert if I don't I'm still a pervert but a jealous one!
[/quote]

It is a well-known fact on this forum that you are a jealous pervert - I have proof... :D

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1425929049' post='2712440']
Oh well - seems I should go back to my bedroom then...
[/quote]

Me too. For a crafty Sherman on the strength of it.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1425929049' post='2712440']
I won't argue with you all given that this is seen as a form of achievement, [b]but I would have never thought of this kind of video as 'instructional'[/b]. Oh well - seems I should go back to my bedroom then...
[/quote]

Why not?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1425839312' post='2711324']
She's great! Really relaxed and totally moved by the groove.

She makes it look easy. Which it isn't.
[/quote]

That's what I enjoy about watching players of either sex. I really like Miki Santamarias' playing, good to listen to & easy to watch on the other hand Anna Sentina sounds great but I find it off putting watching her.

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1425931279' post='2712484']
Miki Santamaria
[/quote]

Funnily enough I once depped in the late Mr [url="http://www.nndb.com/people/467/000045332/"]Mongo Santamaria[/url]'s band. His version of Begin The Beguine' on solo congas was unforgettable. We just stood there open-mouthed.

If Mongo had put something on YT no doubt some idiot would dismiss him as a bedroom hobbyist, which is just a reflection of modern societal norms.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425913545' post='2712116']
So what's the diffence between someone performing or playing a song on you tube, and playing the same song at a gig..... viewers or an audience...its the same thing.
[/quote]

No it's not - who knows how many takes somebody has done of a YouTube clip before they get one they are happy about letting people see. You don't get that luxury at a gig.

This was demonstrated perfectly by that YouTube girl who played all the Jamiroquai stuff but couldn't replicate it live with them when she had the chance.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1425913545' post='2712116']
So what's the diffence between someone performing or playing a song on you tube, and playing the same song at a gig..... viewers or an audience...its the same thing. Unless its the the original song writer playing it, it's always going to be someone else trying to re-create the original as best they can. Whether you are male female, old or young, you are basically saying..."look what I can do... And I love it.." So all you folks who think its not right to show others what you can do, what is it that you do at gigs then...hide behind the drummer ? One of the key things about music, is the sense of achievement at having learnt something, and then wanting to share, or show this to other people. Scott Devine is the bass player I have learnt more off than any one on You Tube, as have thousands of others...this is because the signs over his door say 'lessons' or 'learn.' If this girl had used a similar title, would she still be the cause of such debate. For all the folks who are saying its nothing special, remember there are hundreds of players who are no where near this skill level yet, and at some stage in the past, none of us were. If I was trying to learn this song, I would be glad it was available.
[/quote]

Well, quite a lot really. A gig is a real time social occassion with direct interaction with othe musicians Possibly) and an audience. Also you are doing it live - One take only.
Sitting in a bedroom playing into a camera with a backing track seems (to me ) to be the antithesis of social interaction.

And, for the record, I freely admit that the player in the original posting completely knocks spots off anything I'll ever be able to do. But I still can't understand this compulsion people seem to have to post everything on the bloody net (Other than the money thing, or the publicity thing - but even then you'd surely be better off gigging, for both the money and the exposure).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425933353' post='2712528']
Well, quite a lot really. A gig is a real time social occassion with direct interaction with othe musicians Possibly) and an audience. Also you are doing it live - One take only.
Sitting in a bedroom playing into a camera with a backing track seems (to me ) to be the antithesis of social interaction.

And, for the record, I freely admit that the player in the original posting completely knocks spots off anything I'll ever be able to do. But I still can't understand this compulsion people seem to have to post everything on the bloody net (Other than the money thing, or the publicity thing - but even then you'd surely be better off gigging, for both the money and the exposure).
[/quote]

What are you doing on here posting all your thoughts on a subject then? Or is it a matter of degree for you?

The woman in the OP is a professional bassist. I am sure she posts and interacts on FB, YT, fora, face to face, on a stage, etc etc, just like most of us.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425933353' post='2712528']

[/quote]

I agree to a certain extent. I for instance can play a large number of pieces, but have never felt the urge to film myself playing them and post it on facetube. However, I do know some people have used this medium to promote themselves and get gigs from it. Look at that wee dude that's singing with Journey!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425930252' post='2712459']

Why not?
[/quote]

Because it is not the intention - you can't clearly see what she's doing, nothing is explained etc etc. Therefore it is as instructional as watching any other player doing his/her thing. It is a showcase, my original point being that I find these videos of little significance as such. But of course political correctness prevails so anything is worth admiring, or so it would seem. If you don't agree, then you MUST be a frustrated bedroom bassist or an idiot that has no social life etc. All because you didn't have the *guts* to dress sexy and do a bass karaoke for the world to see.

Ok then! 😊

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1425935779' post='2712575']
Because it is not the intention - you can't clearly see what she's doing, nothing is explained etc etc. Therefore it is as instructional as watching any other player doing his/her thing. It is a showcase, my original point being that I find these videos of little significance as such. But of course political correctness prevails so anything is worth admiring, or so it would seem. If you don't agree, then you MUST be a frustrated bedroom bassist or an idiot that has no social life etc. All because you didn't have the *guts* to dress sexy and do a bass karaoke for the world to see.

Ok then!
[/quote]

WTF relevance has 'political correctness' to do with this?

Do you understand that human beings are diverse in their needs and wants?

Every thrwad on this tired website is eventually OT these days. Used to be a bass forum, now pretty much a bunch of bored folks looking for an argument as far as I can tell?

Anyway, back on topic, web is how things are done theses days, no ones making anyone watch her, she's no doubt better than 99% of BC members, and whilst I can play s lot of parts, if I were in stage with JK I'd probably make a balls up of it also.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1425917372' post='2712173']
Yes, the point stands though. Everyone in music uses their image to enhance their performance, Slipknot/Ramones/Madonna/Taylor Swift, everyone does it - I'm sure @Blue could tell you all about it.

Yes, she's wearing jeans & a t-shirt; do you think she just happened to pick those clothes up that day then decided later to record a video? Then look at the make-up, the hair, the way she's moving, the way she looks at the camera, the camera angle etc etc... - there's nothing wrong with it & I'm not having a go, she's a music performance artist & is putting on a good show.
[/quote]

I'd put money on it that she thought about it, from a 'sex sells' point of view, about as much as Huw Foster did for his video.
Her clothes? Yes I imagine she did just pick up some jeans and a tshirt and put them on to record a bass video. I imagine that she did her hair and makeup like any number of females do in the morning.....whether they're a musician has nothing to do with it. The way she moves? She's playing the bass to some groovy music, how would you expect her to move? The way she looks at the camera?!?!

"Hey dude, did you see how that girl looked at me?"
"Think she was just looking around the room man"
"No way, she looked at me with a look in her eye"
"Pretty sure she was just using her eyes to look at a number of people around the room in a non-descript way"
"Whatever, I'm going to talk to her, think she likes me"

Check out her cover of Dry Cleaner From Des Moines, next someone will be telling me that she's using her image to sell her playing because she's got her hair down! lol

Maybe I'm just very naive ;)

This, of course, is all separate to 'Why post up videos of you playing'......which I don't really care about.

Si

That is nonsense about doing re takes for a video recording until you get it right...so what !!!! Have you forgotten how many hours, weeks or even months you spend in rehearsal rooms or even at home going over and over the same bit til you get it right. Of course she may have given it a few tries til she got it right, but so what..it's right now. How many of you can honestly say you could turn up at a rehearsal, or sit in front of a camera, and play that song,that well straight off... It's blindingly obvious she plays with an ease and fluency that can't just be learnt, it has to come naturally...there is playing a bass, and using a bass, lots of folks can do the first one, but not many the second.. That song is five minutes long, and must have a couple of thousand individual 'hits' on the strings... That's like trying to type at 100 words a minute without making one mistake... Come on.

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1425931279' post='2712484']
That's what I enjoy about watching players of either sex. I really like Miki Santamarias' playing, good to listen to & easy to watch on the other hand Anna Sentina sounds great but I find it off putting watching her.
[/quote]
I was watching a couple of Miki videos earlier, he's great to watch and sooooo many basses! Anna on the other hand, well I don't how she manages to play anything with those nails, good effort missy :-)

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1425944082' post='2712719']
really?
[/quote]
Why be so damn judgemental then?

I've done a few myself, partly for fun, partly to show a line as accurately as possible so others might find it useful (given the number of inaccurate versions on YT), partly as a personal challenge, partly to see what I look like when I play, partly to see if other people like it or not, partly because I'm a self-aggrandising vain **** with fabulous norks.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1425937893' post='2712605']
Every thrwad on this tired website is eventually OT these days. Used to be a bass forum, now pretty much a bunch of bored folks looking for an argument as far as I can tell?

Anyway, back on topic, web is how things are done theses days, no ones making anyone watch her, she's no doubt better than 99% of BC members, and whilst I can play s lot of parts, if I were in stage with JK I'd probably make a balls up of it also.
[/quote]

this.

The girl has posted her playing which i'm sure she is proud of, but understands she's still learning.
If you are of less ability then it can inspire, if you are better, then you know what it takes and don't need to put her down.

Edited by lojo