Why become a member? ×

How was your rehearsal last night?

Cameronj279

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nicked this thread from another forum but it just seems like a good idea for a thread really.[/font][/size]
[color=#6C737A][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It went pretty great. We've been working one song for a good few rehearsals now and it's starting to come together. Guitarist had came up with a new section that sounds great and really fits the song. And despite it being the new section being in 7/4 (I think it's that anyway!) he got it really quickly. He's not got a few of the other weird timing stuff quite as quick but luckily we rarely use anything other than 4/4.

Although we're now stuck for what to add to the end of that song but I'm sure it'll come eventually!

The singer made the song into a midi file -which generally sound hilarious- and I think it sounds pretty great even as MIDI nevermind real instruments.[/font][/size][/font][/color]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]So how was yours?[/size][/font][/font][/color]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Cameron[/size][/font][/font][/color]

Not last night, but last week we did the first session and first of 2 sets worth of 80s songs for an 80s tribute, first gig booked for April

I have got to say, It was the most satisfying session for a long time, musically and vocally wonderful, and lots of fun songs as far as I'm concerned

Our new band, The Bluespots' in rehearsal....Take 4 :rolleyes:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLWf_ClXBA&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be[/url]

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1425849069' post='2711488']

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLWf_ClXBA&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be[/url]
[/quote]

Sounds really nice - good reworking of that song :-)

Decent session with prospective new band, decided to dust off the PK5 pedals and give the lads a demo to see if I could add a little extra background washes for a few of the songs. They could see the potential immediately which was encouraging so I can see about 5 or 6 in the current set which I can use them on, just worthwhile enough to merit hauling the extra gear. This was only the third proper session I've had with them and one of the guys is already looking at potential venues to tap up for gigs which is encouraging. There are so many songs on the set list that would meet with howls of derision on here so I won't bother listing them. The main thing is it is a workable set that should get us gigs and then we can work up new stuff from there.

Not too good. Everyone bar me rates the drummer. He's from a jazz background, has excellent timing and is very competent around the top of the kit. BUT, he doesn't us the bass drum properly - no oomph and nothing to dial into. He's too busy doing twiddly bits on the cymbals. Feels as if he's playing along half the time. Could be time to hand in my notice.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1426339547' post='2717090']
Not too good. Everyone bar me rates the drummer. He's from a jazz background, has excellent timing and is very competent around the top of the kit. BUT, he doesn't us the bass drum properly - no oomph and nothing to dial into. He's too busy doing twiddly bits on the cymbals. Feels as if he's playing along half the time. Could be time to hand in my notice.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with just mentioning this to the drummer. Mention that you need the bass drum to have more oomf for your playing.

[/quote]

...or you could diplomatically share your feelings on the matter, with the option to hand in your notice if no notice is taken? ;)

[/quote]

Discuss it with him first.....you've got nothing to lose and you will at least have tried diplomacy first.

Edited by Number6

Tonights rehearsal was fun and mentally exhausting. A new song we've been working on is practically filled with time changes (not for the sake of it, just ended up that way) so today was spent getting the ending of it as tight as could be. I'd say we're all competent as far as playing goes but this songs proving difficult...although great fun! We appear to have mentally exhausted the drummer.

Edited by Cameronj279

Rehearsed with my funk band last night. We have a female singer who can't make all the rehearsals so was good to be able to move things along a bit. We mostly write our own tunes but I introduced a cover, Come On, Come Over from the Jaco Pastorius album last time we got together and was good to hear the vocal part in the mix. Still to get the horn players up to speed on that one too but our take on that tune is sounding very interesting indeed.

Not one of our better rehearsals. As we're gigging next month, we tried a new sound set up meaning how it would look on stage. Not used to this as it sounded dreadful compared to how it normally sounds with everything in a circle. Completely different ball game.

Also having guitarists advice on bass gear and saying things like "You can't use a JCM 800 as a bass amp as it's a guitar amp" and general nonsense like that.

But here's to gigging soon.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1425816166' post='2710925']
Not last night, but last week we did the first session and first of 2 sets worth of 80s songs for an 80s tribute, first gig booked for April

I have got to say, It was the most satisfying session for a long time, musically and vocally wonderful, and lots of fun songs as far as I'm concerned
[/quote]

Had another wonderful session like the above quote last week, but last night a change of venue and Ive gone from this to starting a thread on rehearsal rooms issues.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1426798249' post='2722181']
including the epic but tricky Roisin Dubh
[/quote]

Would love to have a crack at that, we have the twin guitars, but not sure about the competencies for a song like this!

Why is it some songs our singist can nail 1st time and then every time, but others (Foos 'Walk' for starters) he seems to have a mental block in the same places every single effin time we have a go. Musically it sounds great which makes it all the more annoying!!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

We ran through a 45 min set we're playing on Saturday a couple of times, mainly to check timings and transitions between songs. Good fun, as always with this band, and standing two feet from Jenny while she sings her heart out is never going to get boring!

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1425849069' post='2711488']

[/quote]
Well done guys, that's working a treat.
B)

As for my rehearsal last night.
Well the keyboard player turned up, hadn't looked at any of the five new songs....at all. We don't rehearse as a band that often but in the three years I've been in this band he's not turned up to a single rehearsal having done his homework and prepared.
Suffice it to say we spent the entire night sorting out his parts. :angry:
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers

Yesterday morning for me. Never been playing at 9am on a Sunday in my life before and hope it doesn't become a regular thing. Four hour session as well and we still didn't play some of the songs on the set list! Possibility of a gig in April and I'm off for a week just before it so we needed to have a more rigorous run through some stuff, got some stuff sorted. Might get one more in before we test the set in front of punters.