Why become a member? ×

NCD: Zilla 2x12

umcoo

Picked up a Zilla 2x12 cab this week for bass duties. Used to have a Matamp in a similar spec but moved it on a few years back. As practices and gigging seem to be picking up again lately, I thought it a good investment to find something fairly lightweight that I could move myself, small enough to be manageable on my own, but still have enough presence to kick it out, was pretty cheap, and most importantly sounded great.

Enter Zilla cabs. They're perhaps more well known for their 2x12 guitar cab variants, and there isn't much at all on the website about bass cabs. They seem open to building pretty much anything and have a great selection of tolex and cloths to choose from. I began emailing Paul at Zilla about 12 months ago to discuss what I needed, but no funds and no band put things on hold for a while. I then got back in touch a few weeks back and we hammered out specs of what I wanted. Cab was built in a very reasonable time, about a week, which was great. I had it fitted with neo Celestions and just a classic black tolex and salt/pepper style grill cloth.

Tough to say what the weight is - it definitely feels lighter than my old Matamp cab which I believe was 30kg - it's maybe in the region of 25kg, which is an easy enough carry for even a weakling like me. Slides in the back seat of the car and load in and out is super easy. Ideal! Amp came in at £495 delivered which I thought was excellent. There was a slight surcharge for the neo's which is to be expected.

Sound wise, I'm running a 70's Matamp GT120 which is 120 watts all valve. Took both out at practice for the first time this week and got to run the amp at un-neighbourly volumes. Cab handled it just fine and the trousers were flapping and filled the room with valvey gritty bass tonez :D

If you're in the market for a new cab, it'd be worth your while seeing what Zilla can do for you. Really open to options, great prices, quick turnaround and much better than most off-the-shelf cabs.

Pics or it didn't happen...

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/goat_punisher/media/DSC_0334_zpslnp1zxzt.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/goat_punisher/DSC_0334_zpslnp1zxzt.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

One of our guitarists uses either a Zilla 2x12 or a Marshall 4x12, no real difference in volume (he's still too loud either way) but the tone of the Zilla is much nicer. What is the spec on your cab (watts, ohms, front/rear ported etc)?

• 2 weeks later...