Why become a member? ×

Ampeg - China V USA

mik900

As far as I know everything but the Heritage stuff is now made in the Far East. As for quality, there was a lot of discussion about the use particle board and other cost cutting under the last (USA made) owners regime, so shifting production abroad wasn't necessarily a bad move.

They are being made in Korea now, they used to make them in China and Vietnam.

Nothing to worry, they are as good as US made ones. There quality of plastic parts (switches) and lacquer may not be as good. Electronical components are either the same or as good as US originals.

I recently had a brand new Chinese Ampeg V4-B that lasted less than a week before it went back for a refund.

Loose preamp valves, even when fully inserted. A mis-pressed valve cover with the bayonet fitting all wrong, but just wedged on. Kept switching to half power. Would scream like a banshee when you used the Hi Boost switch

Might have been a Friday afternoon job, but for an £1100 amp, it was pretty shoddy

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1426004130' post='2713310']
I recently had a brand new Chinese Ampeg V4-B that lasted less than a week before it went back for a refund.

Loose preamp valves, even when fully inserted. A mis-pressed valve cover with the bayonet fitting all wrong, but just wedged on. Kept switching to half power. Would scream like a banshee when you used the Hi Boost switch

Might have been a Friday afternoon job, but for an £1100 amp, it was pretty shoddy
[/quote]

That would make me lose quite a bit of confidence in the marque, tbh.
I tend to get updates/chit chat about the way 'production' is moving from
an amp tech I use as he says he sees a lot of Boogies and Ampegs.
Now, he already hates them as they are so heavy to get onto the bench
but I think the disproportionate amount of Boogies he gets points to
a tendency/pattern, whereas Ampegs and Marshalls are much more
prevalent in the local scene...
Marshall get off scot-free, pretty much, Boogies and Ampegs much less so...
I will ask if the Far Rim is a factor here.

Personally I don't mind paying £1100 plus for a Western made amp but I would bulk at that money
going straight to the shareholders for far east production models. If the amp maker is getting £25k p.a
or equivalent, then fair enough or less of an argument, IMO..??

Edited by JTUK