Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Gibson Thunderbird Ebony/97. Buy me.
£750

NancyJohnson

My plan for 2015 is to clear out some stuff and spend a stupid amount on something very special.

With this in mind, the next to go is this, my 1997 Gibson Thunderbird. It's got a Hipshot Supertone Bridge and Dunlop straplocks; I have the original three point bridge should any purchaser wish to revert it back to stock. Since this photo was taken, I've put Gibson silver top hats on it.

OK, the dirt. This has been my main bass for a few months now, it plays great and sounds (to my ears) the nuts, just like a Thunderbird should. Super low borderline rattly action, plays easily and fast. Understandably for a well gigged bass approaching twenty years old, it's seen some action, so much so that this was a bass I was considering having refinished, but now that I have another plan afoot I've shelved that, so let's just say that it's got some [i]mojo[/i]. (Quite why I put that in italics, I'm unsure.) Comes with the original case (it's an orangy/brown one).

Happy to ship at buyers expense. Will post more photos if anyone want to see them. Local collection is fine (near Reading).

Happy to answer any questions.
P

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]In answer to the questions, I can't honestly say what the fingerboard wood is.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]Colourwise, it‘s very flat/black (which suggests ebony) and doesn’t have the tonal figuring colouration of rosewood boards that I’m familiar with (on other basses).[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Insofar as the finish goes, it’s got a few chips and dings, plus there’s a 10p-sized patch on the back of the neck where the finish has kind of peeled back revealing the black undercoat.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]None of these affect the playability.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]This was pretty much the condition it was in when I imported it about five or six years ago.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]P[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1425626283' post='2709109']
Wow that's black! Is the fingerboard ebony? It looks super dark to me.
[/quote]

I seem to remember Thunderbirds having ebony fingerboards back in the 90s, according to the Guitar Buyer's Guide, so I would imagine it probably is!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...