Why become a member? ×

What alternative to my Orange AD200 mk3

Amazoman

Hi all,
currently playing my mm stingray through the above amp and 2x10 Genz Benz Focus cab. Plenty loud enough for what I do and the tone is to die for IMHO. I have a Laney 1X15 that I add if I ever need to go loud!!!

I descibe the tone as warm and creamy. I do not overdrive it to get a dirty sound, not really required for church music! The valves I have in the power stage at the moment are KT100 which also do not break up too early.

The simple matter is it is getting a pain to carry the amp up and down stairs to the car and back etc.

Has anyone any suggestions of a much lighter solid state amp that is in the same ball park tone wise as the AD200. Anything that sounds Hi Fi or glassy would be out of the question. What should I go and demo?

Thanks

I would say if you are thinking Orange AD200, then give the Orange Bass Terror a go, a lot of people say it breaks up quickly, but I didn't find that problem.

It is kind of a one trick pony, but if you like its sounds, its amazing.

I sold mine and went to an Ampeg PF500, as I felt there were a lot more tones and sounds you could coax out of it. a couple of years down the line and I miss my Orange Bass Terror, cos I definitely loved its one trick! ;)

I had the luxury of owning Marshall VBA and Peavey Tour 700 with Barefaced Big One , then Dubster. I moved the VBA on, for me the Peavey just sounded better, had graphic etc and way lighter. As 0175westwood29 says - try some amps out.

Thanks for the responses all.

I will definitely go and demo some amps but with so many options and manufacturers I am trying to narrow the field. I have never heard an Orange bass terror, the name 'Terror' brings aggresive rock sound to mind so I've never considered that!! I'm probably wrong.
I have heard a few Mark Bass amps so they are a possibility.

There seems to be a lot of love for Tonehammer on the forum would that emulate a clean, warm, creamy, bluesy sound.

[quote name='Amazoman' timestamp='1425635117' post='2709193']
Thanks for the responses all.

I will definitely go and demo some amps but with so many options and manufacturers I am trying to narrow the field. I have never heard an Orange bass terror, the name 'Terror' brings aggresive rock sound to mind so I've never considered that!! I'm probably wrong.
I have heard a few Mark Bass amps so they are a possibility.

There seems to be a lot of love for Tonehammer on the forum would that emulate a clean, warm, creamy, bluesy sound.
[/quote]

Dnt be scared of by the terror in the name well worth a look,

Just a thought If you want a lighter valve head give Ashdown a look.

Andy

I sold an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro for my TB500 - I'd be quite happy to swap it for your AD200?? :D

It's true the 12AX7's break up a bit early. I got some Mullard 12AT7wa's for mine and the headroom is immense now and the gain break up much more controllable. Never had the volume above 3 live and gain @ 12o'clock.
Same pre section as the AD200 mate so, you won't do much better...

Nothing will sound like a valve amp....
To keep valve purity you could go Ampeg V4B or Ashdown CTM100 through something from Barefaced as their cabs a very sensitive and light so you will get the same volume out of the 100watts they both put out. Both these heads .aren't that heavy. The new Mesa tube bass stuff will deliver and its lightweight, but not on price.
Ashdown 550spyder (UK one) with some low end compression is the closest I have heard to a clean tube amp, but they are quite heavy as they have a huge transformer. I would say even heavier than the above but not as heavy as the AD200
There is the Markbass TT500 and TTE800 I have not tried but they are supposed to emulate a big tube amp from the 70's, streamliner or veyron might be worth a look also.
As someone else said you will not get the dynamics and the weight behind the note with class D stuff, because a switch mode power supply just wont deliver the high transient current and that valve tone is coming from a physical thing, the valves and the output transformer....

Another poster said go and try them before buying, totally agree on this point. I am not sure you will find what you are looking for without having an all valve rig.
I have been through this and come out the other side I have a CTM300 and if you think your AD200 heavy try one of them!! I the tone of this amp to me just cannot be bested. I wish I would have bought a CTM100 as in the real world this is plenty loud enough.

All of this for me was solved by buying a lightweight old school sounding cab and a foldable sack barrow.................. I don't carry anything the amp stays in its flight case for transit, and its amazing when you use a stack barrow everyone seems to help to lift it up stairs. When I carried the amp myself no one did!!! and mine weighs 40Kgs....

Edited by dan670844

Solid state sounding clean valvey?
mesa walkabout
Aguilar TH500
Tecamp Puma (well the powersoft ones)
Purple Chili Phat bass....
even the TC RH750 - not my cup of tea but emulates a big old valve amp (more SVT) fairly well

or depending on the church I've had good results in my church using a Zoom B3 to feed both the PA and my own amp and use that to provide the tone

:)

Hi ,Ive got the terror bass 500 and a sp212 cab.
I played an AD200 with an OBC 410 cab last week and I,ll stick with what I,ve got cause they sound in a live situation very close to each other IE -they sound like a good Orange rig should.
If you like the Orange sound stick with Orange.
I used the same settings on the AD200 as I do with the OTB 500 and to me they sounded very close ,closer than I thought they would.
Tin hat and body armour on

• 2 weeks later...