Why become a member? ×

TC BG250-208. What's the verdict?

obbm

I'm using one and so far I'm very pleased. Rehearsal on Saturday so I'll report back after that. However, we're a quiet band (un-mic'd trumpet and sax, piano and excellent drummer who uses those bundled twig-type sticks) so I won't know how it stacks against a guitarist with a Marshall. The e/q is very powerful but the toneprint on its own is not really useful in a gig situation - you can't beam a new setting to it between songs. It was great to try out different effects and means I use a chorus now (Boss CE-3), but I've set it on SpectraComp and left it there.

p.s. With a phone call GAK matched Thomann's price with next day delivery :)

Edited by ColinB

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-combos/pid35362/cid687/eden-ec28-180w-2x8-bass-amp-combo.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-combos/pid35362/cid687/eden-ec28-180w-2x8-bass-amp-combo.asp[/url]

What about one of these. I know very little about them, but the price is good. Quite a massive reduction!

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1425559704' post='2708565']
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-combos/pid35362/cid687/eden-ec28-180w-2x8-bass-amp-combo.asp"]http://www.andertons...s-amp-combo.asp[/url]

What about one of these. I know very little about them, but the price is good. Quite a massive reduction!

Frank.
[/quote]

Agreed that it's a good spec and a good price but it's half as heavy again as the TC. :o

I had one that blew up, which sadly seems to be more common an occurrence than is ideal (I've seen two others returned to the same shop just while I happened to be in there), but that aside it wasn't a bad sounding little combo for the money while it was working. My main gripe was that the output was disappointing; I could get most of the way round the volume dial in the house and it needed PA support at an acoustic rehearsal in a decent sized prac room. I've always tried to be fair to TC and say that could have been because mine was obviously defective, but I've since played through another just to try out a bass and it seemed similar. I replaced mine with a MB Minimark 802 which is a singularly more impressive piece of kit, but then I suppose for the cash involved (when I got mine they were still small change away from £800 but seem to be a fair bit cheaper now) it should be!

Had a chat with the TC Product Manager at the show today and it transpires that they did not appreciate that UK mains voltage can sometimes be much higher than the European 230-volts. Our mains supply of 240-volts was causing a resistor to blow in the power supply. They have assured me that this has now been fixed and that all new stock is OK.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1425841579' post='2711362']
Had a chat with the TC Product Manager at the show today and it transpires that they did not appreciate that UK mains voltage can sometimes be much higher than the European 230-volts. Our mains supply of 240-volts was causing a resistor to blow in the power supply. They have assured me that this has now been fixed and that all new stock is OK.
[/quote]

All electrical equipment sold in the EU must be capable of working on a range of voltages that spans both UK and continental voltages. I think it's 230 +10% -6%, i.e. 216 to 253 volts. So it sounds to me like TC man was bullshitting.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1425861958' post='2711670']

All electrical equipment sold in the EU must be capable of working on a range of voltages that spans both UK and continental voltages. I think it's 230 +10% -6%, i.e. 216 to 253 volts. So it sounds to me like TC man was bullshitting.
[/quote]
Ah yes, the TC measurement system strikes again. Perhaps they work at 236 Volts ;)

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='MindGoneBlank' timestamp='1426287880' post='2716741']
The Ibanez Promethean P3110 blows the TC out the water. Plus it's smaller, to boot.
[/quote]

Very interesting. Who has one?