Why become a member? ×

Drum machine help

Nicko

I dusted off my old DR5 drum machine. I've never successfully programmed a song into it bacause I struggle to develop anything other than simple patterns anytime I try to add a fill it just ends up sounding horrible. I think the problem is that I'm not thinking like a drummer plays. I'm only looking to get to the point where I can demo a track to the rest of the band at least initially.

I spoke to a few drummers who tell me the best way to program these is in step time, prefearbly thinking in terms of drum tab.

If you guys agree this is the way to go can anyone direct me to a beginners guide to drum tab? If you have any better ideas by all means throw your hat in the ring.

Thanks
N

TBH unless you have a specific drum part in mind for a song (and it doesn't sound as if you do from your post) you are IMO better off with a simple metronomic beat all the way through the song just to keep you in time and then your drummer can come up with their own ideas without being unduly influenced.

Edited by BigRedX

Sack the drum machine & stick a DAW on your computer. Download some drum loops of various styles & that's you sorted for simple or complex grooves. You can record the rest of the song in here too. :)

If you're still wanting to go with the drum machine, then you need to think like a drummer. Listen to songs with a similar feel or drum style & try recreating the basics of it on the drum machine. Start with just the kick & snare, then add the hats, etc.

Download some drum software ('Hydrogen' is free; others have at least free complete demo versions, such as MDrummer Small...) and surf around in their loops and patterns to see how they are 'constructed'. It's much more convivial than the LCD screen on the DR5. Once you've worked out how [i]they [/i]do stuff, try it for yourself in the DR5. I would, however, echo the remark above if you're doing this for your group. Just make enough of a beat to show the essentials, and let the drummer use his/her own musical qualities to add their part. This won't apply, of course, if you're composing from scratch the whole shebang.