Why become a member? ×

EQ question

MacDaddy

Depends what you mean by "low mids". What is the frequency at which your amp's controls boost "mids"? Unless the midrange is sweepable or selectable (like in the TC RH amps) then you are stuck with whatever the amp's designers/manufacturers decided was an appropriate midrange frequency.

You could always invest in a cheap graphic EQ pedal like the Behringer, or fit an East onboard preamp which features sweepable mids.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425299197' post='2705900']
Why do you want to do this...?
Any amp should get you there..???
[/quote]

You haven't played a Hartke LH amp, have you? They are a mid-range desert... (as opposed to a mid-range dessert, which would be something like a Sticky Toffee pudding :) ).

Unrelated to the OP but I've got an LH and it's got a really weird tonestack I must say. Decent sounding amp though, if limited in toneshaping. I just whack a VT bass in front which covers all the tone shaping bases.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425300342' post='2705915']
You haven't played a Hartke LH amp, have you? They are a mid-range desert... (as opposed to a mid-range dessert, which would be something like a Sticky Toffee pudding :) ).
[/quote]

No, I haven't but the OP doesn't say that is his problem..???

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425289223' post='2705778']
Is it possible to boost my low mids, with a 3 band EQ - bass; mid; treble?
[/quote]

On a preamp, or an amp?

Is this question one that I should assume you are being positive?

What was the question again?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1425305033' post='2705995']
MacDaddy has many long-standing problems involving Sticky Toffee pudding, but he doesn't like to talk about them in public.
[/quote]

We agreed, what happens on tour...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425305285' post='2706000']
On a preamp, or an amp?

Is this question one that I should assume you are being positive?
[/quote]

Yup otherwise I would have been asking how to cut the low mids.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1425379625' post='2706629']
It's on an amp. When I had a graphic EQ I always had a bump at the low Mids, I found the bass cuts through without losing the bottom end or sounding muffled.
[/quote]
Mac, you need to find out what the freq band is on your amp's mid control. What's the amp?

The VIP 3 is a modelling amp and the EQ is modelled to each amp. It only has 3-bands (low, mid, high) and no indication of frequency centres. The only thing to do is probably just mess around with the various amp models and find one with a mid EQ that is closest to what you have in mind. If that doesn't work then looks like an EQ pedal is your best bet.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1425308931' post='2706059']
I love my LH!! :(
[/quote]
They are great amps! Don't get me wrong, I used mine for five years with no complaints or problems. But I increasingly find myself playing J basses, and using them with both pickups on full. That sucks the mids out of my tone, and with the LH tonestack there seemed to be no way to add them back. So I sold it! :)