Why become a member? ×

Big change in tone needed?

Lozz196

The other night I tried out a couple of new picks - .73mm as oppose to my usual 1.14mm.

And I was amazed at the difference in tone. Suddenly the solid bottom end went, and the mids were cutting through something rotten, giving the impression of being a fair bit louder. I`d not made any changes to the eq, and was playing the same as I always do, but even our singer/guitarist noticed and asked what I`d done differently. Must admit I didn`t like the sound, so went back to the old faithfulls, and normal service was resumed.

So to all pick players, if you`re not really happy with your tone, and think there`s something missing, try changing the thickness of the picks to see how it works out before new strings/pickups etc. These were the same brand/design, just a different thickness and really made a difference.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425035190' post='2703166']
Sort-of, it was the triangular tortex ones I was using, the .73 at the start, then the 1.14 which are my usual ones.
[/quote]

My faves are also the 1.14 purple triangles but do check out the . 73 regular shaped yellow tortex picks. I love the feel and sound of them when played back to front with the point pointing away from the strings. Read here recently that Bobby Vega uses them this way round and it works! Much less clacky and plastic sounding than striking with the point of the pick, alot warmer with faster attack I find. You can indeed get pretty funky too with ghost notes sounding great and even.
In my experience anyway.
The purple triangles are my faves though but it is great to have a big change of tone (and technique to a certain extent) in my pocket :)

I might add that I've only been using a pick since new year as I've spent my 22 years of bass playing just with my fingers as I always found it hard even holding a pick! Made it my new years resolution to only play with a pick til I get it down as alot of my favourite players use one.
It's coming on great now and I'm absolutely loving it!

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425035062' post='2703161']
Jim Dunlop nylon (not tortex, too stiff I find) 1mm all the way for me for those I play pick on. Wish they came in other colours than black, easily lost!
[/quote]^^^^ this, especially the colours comment, the times I've put it down on the top of my black amp and have to take my sunglasses off to find it :)

I have used Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm for the last twenty years. Then, a little over a year ago, I think, I switched to Dunlop Primetones in 3mm, because they sounded a bit nicer and, as it turned out, lasted much longer (the first one lasted a year, but considering how much they cost...). Then, recently, I have been playing a lot more Death metal, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Cradle of Filth (I know... Not death metal...) and an awful lot of Amon Amarth, amongst other things. And it turned out that I got a better, less muddy, more defined sound with a flappier tip, when playing the really fast parts.

I have quite a collection of types, material and sizes in my pick box and found the Tortex .60mm to be ideal. I went out to a couple of local shops and bought some more to try to fill in any gaps around that size, just in case, and didn't find anything more suitable. I still use the 3mm Primetones when I want a more finger like sound, especially if I am using a pick for the main notes but plucking chords with my fingers.

Edited by KingBollock

use the green tortex picks, they are the perfect size and for what i do, ive used the triangle versions and they are really good as they have 3 playing edges.

but i did learn something from watching nolly getgood, if you have a slightly thinner pick then it can kind of act as a comp and flex a bit if you hit the string to hard, i actually think there is some truth to this my sound is more even with the .88 rather than a 2mm.

andy

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1425035556' post='2703174']
Interesting - I've always used a .96mm, I've never looked beyond them.
[/quote]

Same, I settled on the Dunlop 500 .96 twenty odd years ago and always been happy with it. Randomly bought a handful of them and it's really never occurred to me to change. I think I'll try a few different thickness picks next time I'm buying, see if I like anything else more.

Edited by Subbeh

After about 5 years of trying just about everything i could get my hands on i finally settled on the Yellow Tortex .73mm ones. I used the .88mm ones for a while but i prefer the little bit of extra flex the .73's give me. I do prefer the .88's for picking on an acoustic guitar though.

Liam