Why become a member? ×

Just pre ordered a Chowny Semi Hollow Bass

sk8

I've had some atrocious basses made in America but we don't seem to tar them with the same brush. You should try one of these if you can and see what you think. The fit and finish are certainly not poor, in fact quite the opposite!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1436116561' post='2815103']
I've had some atrocious basses made in America but we don't seem to tar them with the same brush. You should try one of these if you can and see what you think. The fit and finish are certainly not poor, in fact quite the opposite!
[/quote]
Fair point. Yeah would like to try one, don't know where I'd get the opportunity though. I'm supposed to be saving for a Bergantino CN212, god damn you GAS!

In my experience, Chinese quality is often pretty damn good nowadays. Obviously, there will be exceptions - as Muppet rightly points out that there are with MIA stuff. For me the beauty of the Chowny deal is that Mr C comes across as the sort of guy who knows how to spec a good bass, has a personal relationship with the Chinese manufacturer, and takes personal responsibility for ensuring that each bass he ships is up to snuff. If Scott Whitley manages to do the same with the SWB-1 he's commissioning from the same manufacturer, then us short-scale fans will have two great instruments to choose from - both offering exceptional value for money backed up by personal service. How good is that?!

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1436177147' post='2815533']
In my experience, Chinese quality is often pretty damn good nowadays. Obviously, there will be exceptions - as Muppet rightly points out that there are with MIA stuff. For me the beauty of the Chowny deal is that Mr C comes across as the sort of guy who knows how to spec a good bass, has a personal relationship with the Chinese manufacturer, and takes personal responsibility for ensuring that each bass he ships is up to snuff. If Scott Whitley manages to do the same with the SWB-1 he's commissioning from the same manufacturer, then us short-scale fans will have two great instruments to choose from - both offering exceptional value for money backed up by personal service. How good is that?!
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words.

That reminds me! The missing cases are finally coming this week I hope. I need to send everybody an update. :)

I'm also about to put in my 3rd run on production. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Nipped up the road last night to meet Stephen (not forgetting Scottie dog Fergie) and try a Chowny. Very impressed - a quality piece of kit that's a really nice player. Based on last night, I'd say anybody who's ordered should give themselves a pat on the back.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1437121622' post='2823695']
Nipped up the road last night to meet Stephen (not forgetting Scottie dog Fergie) and try a Chowny. Very impressed - a quality piece of kit that's a really nice player. Based on last night, I'd say anybody who's ordered should give themselves a pat on the back.
[/quote]
It was good to meet you Mike! And it was Hamish. ;-)

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1437143128' post='2824001']
Congratulations on your 3rd run Stephen.

If that doesn't say you're doing something right I don't know what will :)
[/quote]

The entire 3rd run is sold through as well. Every bass is going straight to a customer. I think the 4th will follow really close behind it.

We have a big retail launch coming soon. Just waiting on the mods to find out if I can post the details on one of the forums on here. :)

- Stephen

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1437145021' post='2824025']

The entire 3rd run is sold through as well. Every bass is going straight to a customer. I think the 4th will follow really close behind it.

We have a big retail launch coming soon. Just waiting on the mods to find out if I can post the details on one of the forums on here. :)

- Stephen
[/quote]

Great news. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody is near Stoke and wants to try one out, we're having a launch event on 1st and 2nd August. Lots to try (including a lefty)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266612-chowny-launch-event-academy-of-sound-1st2nd-august/"]http://basschat.co.u...-1st2nd-august/[/url]

- Stephen

Edited by Chownybass

• 7 months later...

Chowny CHB1 semi acoustic Bass guitar

Short Scale 30” set neck
2 x Artec pick ups Tone and volume for each pickup
3 way toggle switch for Bridge, Neck or both pickups
Moveable 1 piece wooden bridge .
Quality chrome Tuners
This Chowny bass was a xmas present from my wife
Its in White with a cream binding around the body and neck
The finish is stunning.
I believe the body top is maple , maple neck with ebony fretboard
White mother of pearl block type markers.

The strings that came on the bass look like d’addario roundwounds
I prefer to use flatwounds for the type of music I am using the bass for
Mainly 1950’s 60’s rock n roll.
I fitted a set of thomastik short scale flatwounds.
I have now done 6 full rehearsals and 10 live shows using the Chowny
The bass is very light and the neck is realy comfortable to play
It also looks fantastic on stage.
It gives me every sound I need , from deep ,double bass type tones using fingers
To the Eddie cochran type click sound using a pick, and anything in between.
No noise or feedback issues that sometimes occur with semi basses.
Stays in tune throughout your performance without having to retune.
I currently own 3 fender precion basses a 51 reissue, 57re issue 62 reissue
And a standard jazz bass. I also have a burns shadow bass and a vintage stingray copy.
I find the Chowny as versatile as all of these.
It is now my first choice bass for this genre of music
I purchased a hard case for a Hofner verythin bass Which fits perfectly.
I would highly recommend these basses for anyone wanting a great looking
And sounding Bass at a very reasonable price