Why become a member? ×

Looking for Advice on Strings

BruceBass3901

Hi guys,

I've had a read of quite a few topics on strings but still not sure where I should be heading, so thought just asking would be the best bet...

I'm just starting out on double bass after several years playing electric and am looking at changing out the steel strings that came on my bass (secondhand) for something a bit more slap friendly as they seem quite high tension and harsh on my fingers.

I'm looking to play slap mainly, with a bit of piz. I fancy trying arco at some point but I know that getting strings for all three will be tricky, so I shall focus on the slap and piz for now.

I like the quite bright sound that my current strings get piz, but the tension is too high for learning to slap with. No idea what my current strings are... they have light blue silks at the tailpiece with yellow, red, green and black at the peg box. Very smooth feel to them under my left hand which I like.

I have been looking at the Innovation strings that seem to get a lot of love around here, but can't decide between the silver/gold slaps or the rockabilly set.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?

I'm going to measure the speaking length of the string when I get home as my teacher has described by bass as a 'small 3/4 size.'

Thanks in advance!

I currently use Spirocore Weichs
They are low-ish tension, and you can bow with them
I think they're still a bit harsh on my fingers for proper slap style though....

On my last bass I had Innovation "Silver Slaps" which were much better for slap,
but not good for bowing....
These are chunkier strings, and are nylon coated, with a sort of rope core, I believe
Innovation also do a set called "Rockabilly" which are also suited to Slap (as you may have gathered)

It's a whole different world of choice, from that of Bass Guitar eh?

Good luck & let us know what you discover

BTW. Innovation strings are also rather cheaper than most steel strings....

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am definitely looking at a set of Innovations as opposed to another steel set just to save my fingers a bit.

From reading the descriptions here, the Silver Slaps are thicker and lower tension than the Rockabilly set, but the Rockabilly set are wrapped so would have the smoother feel that I am I used to at the moment. But as everything else is changing anyway, maybe a different feel wouldn't be too bad.

I am leaning towards the Silver Slaps at the moment.

A very different world here compared to bass guitar!

I have Rockabillys on my main gigging bass and they're not as easy to slap as the name would suggest.... silver or golden slaps (same string, just different colours) much easier to slap.
I have Spiro weich E and A with Innovation Super Silver D snd G on another bass and I find this combination to be very slap friendly.

Another set worth trying are the Superior Bassworks nylon whacker strings. They're very low tension so not great for pizz, but you can bang triple slaps out like crazy. The set has six strings so you can choose a heavy or light setup. They're pretty cheap too, about 40 qiud a set if I remember correctly.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1424895481' post='2701722']
I have Rockabillys on my main gigging bass and they're not as easy to slap as the name would suggest.... silver or golden slaps (same string, just different colours) much easier to slap.
I have Spiro weich E and A with Innovation Super Silver D snd G on another bass and I find this combination to be very slap friendly.

Another set worth trying are the Superior Bassworks nylon whacker strings. They're very low tension so not great for pizz, but you can bang triple slaps out like crazy. The set has six strings so you can choose a heavy or light setup. They're pretty cheap too, about 40 qiud a set if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Rev! Which Superior Bassworks set are the nylon whackers? There are several different types on their website

I fear I'm not helping here, but whatever you choose today, and when the DB bug bites you, you will end up trying all of the afore mentioned strings plus many more before you settled on your "holy grail" string.... For a couple of months, then you'll try some more and finally settle on the real "holy grail" string for 6 months.... Then you'll suffer some more as you hear a great bassist sounding divine on a type of string, which you will rush to buy, only to discover you sound crap on it... And this will go round in circles... Your initial resolution to get cheap strings will turn into a twisted vortex whereby you start thinking that £200 for a set of strings is a bargain... Sounds like torture, but it's great fun: you will have a blast!

Edited by Rabbie

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1424900544' post='2701786']
Thanks for the advice Rev! Which Superior Bassworks set are the nylon whackers? There are several different types on their website
[/quote]

I have a set of the 'Dirty Gut' Deluxe jobbies:

[url="http://www.superiorbassworks.com/Superior_Bassworks_Deluxe_Upright_Double_Bass_Strings_Dirty_Gut/p693784_6219678.aspx"]www.superiorbassworks.com/Superior_Bassworks_Deluxe_Upright_Double_Bass_Strings_Dirty_Gut/p693784_6219678.aspx[/url]

They're all the essentially the same strings, but the Deluxe and Gripmax sets have roughened/spiral cut surfaces to mimic gut strings and give your fingertips a bit more to grab onto.

Some good advice on here
But also keep a look out in the for sale section

To many, it may seem odd that people would sell second-hand strings
But given the price of DB strings, it's quite understandable

As Rabbie says, you may end up tinkering a bit, and trying different types
So paying out for some slightly used strings makes perfect sense...

It's a shame Daf Lewis no longer does his Innovations Trial sets of strings
That was ideal!

Just a word of caution here too
Depending on your DB - you shouldn't take all your existing strings off,
like you may on a bass guitar

It has to be done properly, with the bass on its' back
and changing the strings one at a time...
... or the soundpost could fall over :o

Cheers again

Thanks for the advice there Marc. I had been keeping an eye in the classifeids for some strings to try and will continue to do so!

And I am all too aware of the dangers of releasing all the tension on a double bass... luckily I know I am safe to do so on my bass as when a luthier needed to re-shape the bridge feet he looked at the soundpost and found that it was nicely wedged in place and would not move easily. I will still be careful when I put these new strings on though.

Thanks for your help everybody :) I shall report back once my new strings arrive and I am slapping away