Why become a member? ×

Peavey - is there something wrong with the company?

Jenny_Innie

Half the issue was the old stuff lasted too long.
You still see those late 70's bass heads gigging and they sound just as good as ever.
Then they started making stuff in China that drops apart, frying pan to fire.
The Firebass, nitrobass range heads had the most wonderful vintage Valve type tone that today they would sell like hot cakes

Peavey seem to be the victim of their own success and their insistence on manufacturing in the US. Their equipment has always been bullet proof and often innovative, particularly in speaker design, but thanks to their affordability they've nor really gained the same status as say Ampeg. Now they're being undercut by stuff made in the fat east, and have left it late to switch to offshore manufacturing (unlike Ampeg - my 2007 SVT CL was made in Vietnam). I hope they recover, as I've always rated their gear and have owned both Mk III and Mk IV heads as well as an 1820 cabinet before switching to Ampeg.

Edited by chriswareham

Peavey are now distributed by Barnes & Mullins in the UK. They also distribute Aguilar and have done a brilliant job in sorting out all the supply chain problems previously experienced with Aggie cabs being shipped from the States.

They really are a 'gold standard' distributor. Superb service, great stock control, fast delivery and solid back-up for warranty issues and spare parts.

They are already contacting dealers and arranging trade displays of all the new Peavey gear available.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1424783839' post='2700388']
Watch the US version of undercover bosses with Peavey...
[/quote]

Sad to see that the Peavey episode of that TV series dropped a quarter of the show's regular audience. They really couldn't catch a break, could they?

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1424816305' post='2700897']I tried to watch the link , but it said it couldn't be watched in my area/region , or something
[/quote]

It's also on youtube - search Peavey Undercover Boss - so can be seen in UK and probably most other places.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1424853938' post='2701087']
Peavey are now distributed by Barnes & Mullins in the UK. They also distribute Aguilar and have done a brilliant job in sorting out all the supply chain problems previously experienced with Aggie cabs being shipped from the States.

They really are a 'gold standard' distributor. Superb service, great stock control, fast delivery and solid back-up for warranty issues and spare parts.

They are already contacting dealers and arranging trade displays of all the new Peavey gear available.
[/quote]

Hopefully this should get Peavey gear into more shops and turn things around for them. I know that back in the late 1990s I had to special order Peavey stuff from the US, as the range they normally shipped to the UK was quite limited. They seem to have lost out in the rehearsal studios - from the early 1990s to ten or so years back the typical bass amps in London rehearsal studios were reliable, workmanlike Peavey combos or stacks. Now it's all that terrible bottom of the range Ashdown stuff (ABM 400 series I think) that sound muffled and underpowered in comparison.

They held two auctions of loads of stock from their UK distribution centre recently. I managed to pick up a ridiculous amount of quality gear for a very good price (Powered PA speakers, 16 channel mixing desk, two full guitar stacks plus valve amp heads and a few other bits and pieces)

One of the amp heads needs new power valves - understandable as the stock I bought was all ex showroom / festival backline etc. But the other kit hasn't missed a beat.

I think Peavey gets a hard ride for their brand image of working man's gear rather than being top shelf kit, but as previously said, it's bulletproof. There's no point turning up with an expensive amp that's unreliable.

The American built stuff was almost military spec.
It was boring to look at, functioned like Army gear, but it always delivered and still does.
What changed was buyers, they got more stupid as people got more stupid.
Put some bling on, sling it together in China pile it high sell it low and everyone raves about it, until it breaks mid gig, then you wish you had kept that 20 year old American peavey head.
Buyers lost the concept of durability and well built as opposed to trendy and cheap.

The market changed, blurb and bling is king now.
Performance and durability come last.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1424872928' post='2701411']
It was boring to look at, functioned like Army gear, but it always delivered and still does.
Put some bling on, sling it together in China pile it high sell it low and everyone raves about it, until it breaks mid gig, then you wish you had kept that 20 year old American peavey head.

Buyers lost the concept of durability and well built as opposed to trendy and cheap
[/quote]

So true about many things today!

Edited by jgmh315

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1424872928' post='2701411']
Buyers lost the concept of durability and well built as opposed to trendy and cheap.

[/quote]

Exactly this. I switched to an Ampeg from my Peavey Mk III based on experiences with hired in, American made Ampeg SVT CL heads and 8x10 fridges that I used for studio sessions. The Vietnamese made SVT CL head I bought had quite bad fit and finish in several places, and broke down on me despite being treated very carefully - something that the solid state Peavey had never done, despite being dropped down a flight of metal stairs on one occasion. I had a Peavey Mk IV as a stand in while the SVT was fixed.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1424869338' post='2701343']
Watched the episode. How to change a PR coup into a PR disaster in 2 minutes! :o
[/quote]

Incredible isn't it? What they did do that fella that handed his notice in and then retracted it was unforgivable. They must have known it was on the cards so the kindest thing would have been to let him go to his employment elsewhere.