Why become a member? ×

How you finding the music scene/gigs where you are?

ellie

I am in the[i] "It's hard work to keep the gigs rolling in Camp". [/i]If your a new band it will be even harder, and if your an unrepresented bar or pub band even harder yet.

Here are 2 other factors, is your band based in a big market area? If not I have no idea how you would be successful on the gigging scene unless the band is willing to travel. Another fact is, does everyone in the band feel the same way about gigging.

Me, if I could gig 5 nights a week it would be heaven. There are some guys that want to gig, but only once a month. That's fine, but for me I would not really consider that gigging or a passion for gigging. To me that's more like [i]"I have other more important things in my life, I'll gig once a month if I can fit it in."[/i]

I still don't have a good handle on forum members and where and how they stand on gigging. When I hear comments like, [i]" I haven't had a paying gig in 2 years" or "Once a month is all I can handle" [/i]I become completely confused.

I know that some guys don't like gigging and never have. I don't understand it, however music hits us all at different levels and it's all cool. I could make an assumption and say if a guy doesn't like gigging it probably means he's tried it and it was to much work and didn't like it, health limitations or again, he doesn't connect with live performance or things in his things in his life that are more important.

My apologies for going off topic.

Blue

Edited by blue

My job means I can't play all the time. I work month on, month off, so we have to make bookings to suit that. The guitarist has a young family, as has the drummer, so basically everything is conspiring against us, but we still try and get gigs, it's just that there's not very many gigs left up here. It's all very well saying work for it, but the distances involved in the west of Scotland are pretty big, so prospective venues are unwilling to pay you, plus your fuel and possibly bed, consequently, we have to try and get local gigs and as I said earlier, there are less of them every day.

We said 2 gigs a month from the start and it is prety much still that.
We are wary of taking 2 gigs in a row as this hurts the vocalist but
in the summer we may feel it is workable. We have very good BV's
but none of them is good enough to frontline a song so that isn't an option.

Other factors are members with younger familes so altho we 'accept'
bookings via an online diary, we still put it out by e-mail for members to
confirm as they do have other lives. We don't flog things and everyone
is mostly ok with a dep principle but mostly this doesn't really work.
It might be ok in a pub and/or a party but some gigs just aren't depable.

I do have a new project and that is hard sell to get people to commit on
it as we will only do 5-6 shows in the summer. The booker insists that we
invite them to a preview show and that is going to be difficult to arrange.

I was in a band that took this all very seriously. We put in a hell of a lot of effort, but it turns out we didn't know what we were doing. In the folk band I'm with now, at first I assumed that it was easier to get gigs as the music is more commercial than my old rock band. Then I started noticing the posters up in all the pubs we play. It turns out our frontman/booker/boss actually mails posters out to venues a month in advance, and then calls them to check they have them, and politely asks them to put them up. Then he actually talks to the audience when we're on stage! And afterwards! And he networks with all the promoters etc.

It seems obvious now, but ten years ago we really thought all we had to do was land a CD on the right desk, and we went to extreme lengths to try and achieve that to no success.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424862546' post='2701214']
I was in a band that took this all very seriously. We put in a hell of a lot of effort, but it turns out we didn't know what we were doing. In the folk band I'm with now, at first I assumed that it was easier to get gigs as the music is more commercial than my old rock band. Then I started noticing the posters up in all the pubs we play. It turns out our frontman/booker/boss actually mails posters out to venues a month in advance, and then calls them to check they have them, and politely asks them to put them up. Then he actually talks to the audience when we're on stage! And afterwards! And he networks with all the promoters etc.

It seems obvious now, but ten years ago we really thought all we had to do was land a CD on the right desk, and we went to extreme lengths to try and achieve that to no success.
[/quote]

I assume the guy who does all that gets admin money from the kitty..??

I think the pub covers scene is dying on it's arse. The majority of pub bands are not of a good enough quality to make it worth going out to see. I'm sure most of us are guilty of throwing together a casual pub band just to make a bit of extra money at the weekends which obviously forces out the better bands who are after more money.

On the originals scene I think that most bands are just too rubbish to bother with. Writing good songs and performing them properly is really really hard so it's no wonder a lot of bands can't get gigs together. Last time I went to a small unsigned gig, all four bands on the bill just didn't cut the mustard. Listless performances, no stage craft, derivative material and bereft of inspiration.

What is also sad, is that the smaller bands that I enjoy on soundcloud or YouTube, for example, never seem to play in the local area. I'm happy to travel, but I don't really want to have to drive to the next city and not be able to have a drink or pay £25 for a train and spend ages travelling. I think a lot of people are guilty of allowing their laziness to get in the way of supporting live music, me included!

It's a tough world out there. But as BRX says, if you're an original band and you want gigs, you need to be an act that's worth selling!

It is interesting to see where the market ebbs and flows.
As I said, I know 3 pubs that are putting on special nights ...and I'm
guessing that the bands will cost £1k plus for the night...?
How much extra value the pubs will get for that is open to question
but maybe it is the LL playing at promoter..?
With the right act, I can see them doing ok..ie, not losing
money on tickets and it might also get the place more on the map..?
But I think the acts agents have actually prospected the venue.

To put it a little into context... I know quite a few people who will
pay £20 for a ticket as they see that as a cheap but a bit more special
night out for live music..??
In that sense, pub bands will be nowhere... and to a degree, that is their
fault as they don't offer anything different so one £250 band is the same
as another...

my band currently struggle to get shows, we havent done one in 6 months.
every time we play we bring people AND people come in when they hear us, the promoters says the love us, as do the punters, the local radio stations have had us on and like us.

we are all seasoned veterens in the scene and know who to talk to, but apparently, we have hit a niche, and our brand of blues rock does not fit the indie/acoustic scene around here so we are really struggling to get shows.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1424871623' post='2701384']
my band currently struggle to get shows, we havent done one in 6 months.
every time we play we bring people AND people come in when they hear us, the promoters says the love us, as do the punters, the local radio stations have had us on and like us.

we are all seasoned veterens in the scene and know who to talk to, but apparently, we have hit a niche, and our brand of blues rock does not fit the indie/acoustic scene around here so we are really struggling to get shows.
[/quote]

We are similar. I.E. We are seasoned veterans who have done this for ages. Ok, we are not in the first flush of youth and our stage craft is not exactly hello Wembley, but we know we are a tight unit with a great sound. We have been told numerous times that we make a great noise, but still, the gigs are few and far between. The pubs are not so keen on paying for entertainment when they could get a disco or even just stick the juke box on and get folk in . We know that they are never as busy when there's no live music on, but the venues seem to think it's ok to compromise and lessen their overheads :(

More to do with what music you play, Old school. blues, rock, well the grass has grown over that genre.
Mention Oasis say and musco's spit on floor in anger and stay away on mass , yet a tribute to said act sold out the local club within the hour, the AC/DC tribute had about twenty in.
It horses for courses, it's muso's vs tone deaf easily pleased punters.
Give em what they want and you will never be short of work.

A friend of mine says he never fails to make money on blues gigs and they may range from
a pickup band in the local to supporting blues artists from abroad.
Blues is an 'easy' genre to make work but you need to be step up from a bar band...

Having said that..a recent tour did indeed cost him money promoting it... he'd have done
better just MD'ing it..???

Sorry mate, blues has been done to death up this way and it would need to be an astonishing step up from the norm to get any kind of crowd. We play exactly what the public want to hear and sometimes it irks me, as I want to play something a bit beefier in the rock sense. We still find it hard , but as I said, it's not the bands that are the problem, it's the lack of venues that want to push live music. In the 90's and early 2000's, every band had their pick of venues. We used to all do the circuit with no jealousy or animosity cos there was so much to go round. It's very different now!

Edited by ubit

At the local level blues is tough. I still don't know why we do well with gigs. We play at least once a week and in the summer it's closer to 3-5 times a week with all the Festivals and Fairs. It might be our female lead guitarist which is rare in this part of the country.

I think blues still has a decent market for those doing national and international tours. Eric Gayles, Anna Popavic and Samantha Fish and Sena Ehrhardt are good examples.

http://www.ericgalesband.com/

http://www.senaehrhardt.com/

http://anapopovic.com/home

http://www.samanthafish.com/

blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1424807010' post='2700710']
I do note the irony of the first two posts, saying too many bands, too few venues, while playing in 3 bands!
[/quote]

Perhaps I should have added I don't just play in Essex, the three bands do different things in different places lol.

The blues bands round here are going to have an exceptional gtr and they are just as valid than the 80's bands
and they can work cheaper if they want....
I'll have a more up to date take on in as I have some blues dates coming up... not really my thing but will
see how it goes. Some of the best players play in the blues pick up bands and they never struggle for people
at the gigs. I think they struggle to pay 7 people but also they probably pull £350.. which is good round here in pubs.
Since some of these guys normally only do pro dates otherwise, you can understand why people turn out.
But sure, if it isn't done properly, it wont work. Maybe there is a bit of BS about the credibility of being able to
play in a good blues band as well.... I'll enjoy if the drummer is funky, otherwise, a bit of a yawn..

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1424771944' post='2700149']
Too many bands playing the same music in the same venues..... It's boring as hell in Essex. Oh look another Classic Rock/indie band..... I wonder if they'll be playing Zombie/SOF/Dakota/Highway to Hell......

I think there are too many bands not trying to be anything different any more.
[/quote]

Hello you. Spoken like a true funk funster lol.
Actually I agree with you those four songs you mention are done to death. Don't do them now. It is horses for courses though, if I had a quid fir every time I've been asked to play them........ I'd still be poor!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424907315' post='2701929']
The blues bands round here are going to have an exceptional gtr and they are just as valid than the 80's bands
and they can work cheaper if they want....
I'll have a more up to date take on in as I have some blues dates coming up... not really my thing but will
see how it goes. Some of the best players play in the blues pick up bands and they never struggle for people
at the gigs. I think they struggle to pay 7 people but also they probably pull £350.. which is good round here in pubs.
Since some of these guys normally only do pro dates otherwise, you can understand why people turn out.
But sure, if it isn't done properly, it wont work. Maybe there is a bit of BS about the credibility of being able to
play in a good blues band as well.... I'll enjoy if the drummer is funky, otherwise, a bit of a yawn..
[/quote]

Were lucky to have recently replaced an unhappy drummer with a veteran "[i]in the pocket[/i]" drummer that is probably the funkiest I've played with since 1971. And this guy has no tempo issues which is really quite wonderful.

Thing is, were a true blues/rock band and we mix things up. We have a funky version of Dusty Springfield's [i]"Son Of A Preacher Man"[/i], Nancy Sinatra's [i]"Boots Are Made For Walking" [/i]Jeff Beck's version [i]"People Get Ready"[/i] we do some Robin Trower, some catchy originals, and a lot of other stuff. Having a young female lead guitarist and vocalist also helps.

I think you would all agree that if you want to do the blues band thing, it has to be honest, you have to understand the genre ( I grew up in the height of the blues explosion ) and you really don't want to play 12 bar blues progressions all night. People get bored with that.

Blue

Edited by blue

I think these guys think that playing the blues is their musical salvation from the pro day job.
Some gtrs stick with a blue genre others cover all styles.. which is good for them, but rather waters
down their blues credentials..??
Still, it is a fun playing gig.

From reading all the responses here, my age is a double edged sword. At 62 and single, my age excludes me from opportunities with some bands. So I'm lucky to be in a blues /rock band with a respectable gig schedule.

What I like about my age is, I'm retired, my children are adults. Basically, it's the time of life when I can do what I want, when I want ( within reason ). In short I can gig all week I wanted to, and I do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424944071' post='2702116']
I think these guys think that playing the blues is their musical salvation from the pro day job.
Some gtrs stick with a blue genre others cover all styles.. which is good for them, but rather waters
down their blues credentials..??
Still, it is a fun playing gig.
[/quote]

For us it was a well thought out move. The band realized early on they wanted to gig and charge an appropriate market fee. So they decided to add a significant amount of clever covers with a blues rock edge. It's simple as this; at the local bar band level here in Milwaukee, you want to play straight up credible blues, you don't gig or maybe I should say you won't gig very much.

So, we chose paid gigging over blues credentials. Works for us, might not for others.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424994591' post='2702873']
For us it was a well thought out move. The band realized early on they wanted to gig and charge an appropriate market fee. So they decided to add a significant amount of clever covers with a blues rock edge. It's simple as this; at the local bar band level here in Milwaukee, you want to play straight up credible blues, you don't gig or maybe I should say you won't gig very much.

So, we chose paid gigging over blues credentials. Works for us, might not for others.

Blue
[/quote]

No, I get it... a bit of forethought and planning is the right path to set you apart.
Play to your strenghts...and the strenghts start with what you want to do..

I find I can't interest certain people as they don't want to flog covers... and they have enough work
to be to able to turn that away... so I need to approach them from a slightly different angle and make out ...
and be able to deliver it... that it is a worthwhile gig.
Plenty of people will cover a dep gig and walk away but that is just as frustrating as well and chances are
unless it is major fun and NO hassle for them..altho it will be for the band leader... they'll not need to stick
around either.
The best way to sell it is with a vision and purpose so these guys buy into your ability to carry this off
either financially or artistically, or, hopefully, both.

Too many bands take the short cut and just do what they can and know and think what will make them popular..
and I can understand that is all £250 a gig in a pub is worth,
Often that gig is too much work for the money... but we still do them..???