Why become a member? ×

Why, Why, Why can't I find a drummer!?

Lord Sausage

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424775554' post='2700229']
While true that it's difficult enough to find ANYONE who is really good at what they do and persuade them that you have something to offer,
[/quote]

Agreed, as most have said finding a good drummer that can commit to joining a team is very hard.

We auditioned drummers last fall and it was tough and we had a lot to offer for a bar band ( 8 years of stability and a book of paying business )The problem we ran into were,[list]
[*]Inexperienced drummers,
[*]Had family responsibilities we thought would conflict with our schedule
[*]The guys that showed up unprepared.
[/list]
Somehow we fell arse backwards into the best drummer available in my opinion. The guy was a laid back, nice guy, experience all over the board, great timing and funky as hell, a real pro.

Be patient.

I would stay away from anyone you have reason to think commitment could be an issue. And while many here will disagree, going with a drummer with commitments to other bands is going to be a real problem sooner or later.

Blue

Edited by blue

Going thru this now..
I want great sound from the kit which is only achievable if he hits it right.
Fluency thru the hands....so good hand speed is essential..
Great time and great feel.. and educated chops..plus he must be musical
and I'll know as soon as he hits the skin whether he is worth perservering with.
Oh..and he must be drum-fit

For all that, I'll put up with a few 'foibles'...

My band are on the look out for a new singer. A particularly bad practice. Our guitarist was incandescent...which is odd as he's never been that bright before :D. Being serious, our singer is just not pulling her weight and isn't really up to standard.

I always find tracking down a good singer really difficult, more difficult than drummers to be honest. Perhaps I'm a tad lucky but I know of two drummers who I could have asked if ours had left. However, singers are a nightmare in my experience.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425198961' post='2704845']
I want great sound from the kit which is only achievable if he hits it right.
[/quote]

Which in turn is only achievable if he can tune a kit properly. Not all drummers can, strangely enough.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425234176' post='2705394']
Which in turn is only achievable if he can tune a kit properly. Not all drummers can, strangely enough.
[/quote]

I've met some who don't even realise that drums CAN be, let alone, should be tuned :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425234306' post='2705397']
Particularly if they don't also play an instrument, for some reason.
They obviously have too much time on their hands.
[/quote]

...and, as in this case, bone idle and not up to scratch. :)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1425235125' post='2705414']
I thought singing was physically hard work , well it always looks that way after one of our gigs :D
[/quote]

Nah, they're just swinging the lead and playing it for the sympathy vote, mate! :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425233751' post='2705384']
My band are on the look out for a new singer. A particularly bad practice. Our guitarist was incandescent...which is odd as he's never been that bright before :D. Being serious, our singer is just not pulling her weight and isn't really up to standard.

I always find tracking down a good singer really difficult, more difficult than drummers to be honest. Perhaps I'm a tad lucky but I know of two drummers who I could have asked if ours had left. However, singers are a nightmare in my experience.
[/quote]Luckily we have two. the lead guitarist is also a great lead vocalist but is happy just playing guitar and doing bv's. But ready made dep in the band. Zero ego! Anomaly, I know! Lead guitar and vox, no ego, no prima donna.................well the other singer makes up for it! Worth it for the voice and stagecraft though! She's a good girl really but a diva too!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425234176' post='2705394']
[/quote]

Still wont make any difference unless he hits the skin correctly.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425247298' post='2705594']
A badly-tuned kit will sound like crap whether it's hit correctly or not.
[/quote]

As will a well tuned kit. Some drummers hit correctly and some slap
it and it sounds horrible. Nothing they do will change that...and that
'style' will likely define them as a drummer.