Why become a member? ×

Alpher Mako Elite five string - Warning: Buckeye Burl content

Kev

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1426265710' post='2716396']
I'm pretty sure your claro will equal if not better chris's (if that's even possible! I love that bass)
[/quote]

It certainly looks like it will blow mine away, that's for sure! I look forward to seeing the end product... Although who doesn't? :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so a few updates!

We have gone for the dual Nordstrand Bigman pickups with a pretty cool electrics package if its possible, more details on that if it happens!

Change of neck, Chris has got some superb 'Ribbon' figured Indian Rosewood so I have opted for this as opposed to all-claro.

Here is the rosewood:

Final position of the Ziricote board:

and here is the body, all glued up and ready for final routing/sanding and oiling!

Edited by Kev

Well, the ribbon figured Rosewood billet has now been split, and my god was the inside a treat!

Anyone ever see two-tone rosewood before?? :D

I can't wait to see this carved!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1432989268' post='2786826']
I love the vaneer between the body and the top (wenge?) it looks like little blocks cos of the grain!
[/quote]
It is indeed :) Thought it would add a little more character than just a black one.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1432989288' post='2786827']
and... tell us more about the electronics!
[/quote]

The plan is to have it Volume (push pull active/passive), 3 Way rotary switch (Neck pup/ Both/ Bridge Pup), Neck Pickup Pan (Pan between the two single coils in the Bigman), Bridge Pickup Pan, Bass, treble.

So, basically it will be like having four Nordstrand Big Single's in one bass, with each coil selectable in every combination possible. I'v opted for a rotary switch rather than a blend between the pickups to stop it getting too fiddly, but with this setup there should be few tones I cannot get :)

This is if it works, of course!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1433000474' post='2786953'] with each coil selectable in every combination possible. [/quote] except, series parallel....
3 way switch sounds size going through two blends and a volume would put more loading on the pups.
Other way you might not have thought of would be T40 wiring with the coil tap on the tone control, a 3 way switch for selection and phase switch

Series/parallel is jot apparantly possible if the coils are individually controlled. I have never had a use for series parallel so not interested much in that anyway.

The rest, I don't really understand haha! The Bigman is quite literally two big singles under one cover and as such an effective blend between each should work. But, my faith is an Alpher for this as I know nothing at all about pickups and how they work in truth!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1435887749' post='2813378']
that was the least sexy shot of the build so far.... unless you like Metal clamps, in which case you're in boner inducing clamp territory!
[/quote]

This any better? ;)

[attachment=195643:11058562_10155709728045405_2115648685457363903_n.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...