Why become a member? ×

Pre Amp...Why

timmo

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1424527649' post='2697337']
For me its simple. I dont have the luxury to always use my amp. Therefore I use a preamp to be able to get the same sound to FOH at every gig. Its an 'always on' thing
[/quote]So a pre amp, is basically an amp? Sorry for sounding dumb, which i do quite often, but i just don`t really understand what the function of one is.

A pre-amp pedal is often used to simulate the effect of pushing the pre-amp stage of a valve amplifier so that you get an overdriven effect (by turning up the gain control) - that's bringing in warm harmonics as opposed to unpleasant clipping. If you have a bass amplifier head/combo that's already all valve or has a valve input stage then a pre-amp pedal might be of little use unless your bass doesn't put out enough signal to overdrive the input stage (which AFAIK is pretty unlikely). In the world of solid state amps and the likes of lightweight Class D amps then a pre-amp pedal might well add a nice touch of warmth or grit plus these types of pedals often have a DI out socket allowing you to send a signal to the room PA just in case your bass rig doesn't have that option.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1424528960' post='2697358']
I was just looking at the amps and cabs for sale and saw this. Just didn`t get what the function is, as i thought you would have an amp for all the functions.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/253503-rare-gt-groove-tubes-bass-preamp-swr/"]http://basschat.co.u...ass-preamp-swr/[/url]
[/quote]

Quite a few of us use pro sound grade power amps in our bass rigs, for one reason because virtually no bass amps make enough power to satisfy some people. Since that power amp doesn't have tone controls and since it typically wants a higher level input signal than our basses provide, a standalone preamp like that becomes necessary. The often large-ish form factor also leaves lots of room for extended functions that are less often seen in integrated bass amps. Floor pedals tend to just provide another tonal flavor, and they can be very handy for getting "your sound" through someone else's rig as well.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1424527649' post='2697337']
For me its simple. I dont have the luxury to always use my amp. Therefore I use a preamp to be able to get the same sound to FOH at every gig. Its an 'always on' thing
[/quote]

This is it for me too. Luckily my pre-amp is the same as my amp, Aguilar Tonehammer, so I always get my sound no matter what I`m using. Great for recording too, plus if your amp fails having the pre-amp going to the PA gets you out of the mire for the gig.