Why become a member? ×

Want to start another audio discussion here. The longer this goes on the better) ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1424334981' post='2695151']
Nice setup Leonard ;) Does the turntable have a lid ?
[/quote]

Nope! :D

[IMG]http://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/v/t1.0-9/581960_10150842727836672_210105221_n.jpg?oh=cdd350a5dfa624fe3da1ceb8f6b41904&oe=5589E9DC[/IMG]

I still buy cds although quite often I will get a .....cut price......download first if it's a new band I want to check out, but I still NEED a physical product, as much as anything so I can just grab what I fancy in the morning ,depending on mood, off the shelf, chuck it in the car and it's ready to play, no faffing around trying to find it on a digital device,assuming I remembered to put it onto a digital device in the first place!
Maybe if I was starting out in the download age it'd be different, but with 300 cds already,and all accessible....and filed alphabetically...!!!!.....its actually easier,for me, this way.

I tend to just Bluetooth everything from phone to Orbitsound soundbar now. Would still love a really nice amp/speaker set up but like most modern things, convenience wins. We have a lot of bbq's and people around in the summer and it's just so easy to select a spotify playlist on my phone, switch soundbar on and let it run. Bit of a cop out I know, but I like the easy life! 😊

I like to have physical media. I have quite a lot of vinyl, but don't generally buy it now. I usually buy CDs and then rip them on iTunes as mp3 for convenience & sharing around the family iPods

Vinyl: Rega Planar 3 / Arcam Alpha / Kef Coda 7
CD: In car or the Philips mini system in the kitchen (the best [u]sounding[/u] one within budget in the big electrical retailer shop back in the day)
MP3: Computer with 5.1 system or iPod nano 3rd gen + my new Betron DC950 earbuds (highly recommended - excellent quality/price!)

I still buy vinyl if it's something I really want & occasionally buy CDs at gigs if they're a good unsigned act (and they haven't got any vinyl on offer). I see streaming as an extra rather than a replacement.

If I'm having a proper listening session I'll plug my phone into my hi-fi but most often I just blue-tooth it to a little bose speaker, in all honesty I can hardly tell the difference between the two at low to medium volume, though it's not as good as vinyl.

CDs and mp3s: on the PC via a set of old Yamaha YST-MS30s. CDs: via the video player through another set of the Yamahas. Brilliant sounding speakers. In the loft somewhere is a 70s mid-range HiFi by Bush Arena (built in Denmark, B&O?), with a Garrard Sp25 MkIII deck. It was given to me and I've never used it because I can't find a new stylus. The cartridge is a Goldring Lenco, but has no model number. One day I hope to replace it, and play what little vinyl I have left. Also, if I can source appropriate converter cables (OBBM?), I'll add a separate CD player.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1424289755' post='2694862']
Get an Ariston RD11 - essentially the same thing only much cheaper, to buy nowadays that is. There was some controversy over who actually invented the Sondek, with the founder of Ariston having originally gone to Ivor Tiffanbraun (sp?) to manufacture them.

I had the Sondek, my brother had the RD11 ('S' version I think) and they sounded very, very similar with the Ariston sounding a bit more exciting for rock. Though maybe that was the arm - we weren't bothered enough to swap the tonearms.
[/quote]

It is more likely that Ivor copied / refined the design of the Thorens TD150. I asked him this question once. He didn't deny it.

Have had LP12 t/t since 1973. Latest is current spec. Through a Linn 5103 pre-amp into a pair of Krell KSA100 power amps driving a pair of Apogee Caliper signature speakers.
Digital formats are through Linn Akurate DS streaming player.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1424386143' post='2695911']

It is more likely that Ivor copied / refined the design of the Thorens TD150. I asked him this question once. He didn't deny it.

Have had LP12 t/t since 1973. Latest is current spec. Through a Linn 5103 pre-amp into a pair of Krell KSA100 power amps driving a pair of Apogee Caliper signature speakers.
Digital formats are through Linn Akurate DS streaming player.
[/quote]
Nice system. :)

Both the RD11 and Sondek clearly owed a lot to Thorens, but the Ariston and Linn also shared a factory for some engineering - owned by Ivor's father.

I either use my laptop (Quite a nice 6 speaker setup in there, for a laptop) turned up nice and loud, or my phone using a pair of SoundMagic PL50's, both running Spotify, purely for convenience's sake. I do want to get a nice amp & speakers, but i don't have the space or need for it currently, so what i have'll do the trick for now.

Liam

listening to music is all about ambiance for me, if I just to sit there listening to vinyl or CD's through my Hi Fi (rega planar 3/Nad 3130/Arcam Alpha plus/ Mission 760i) I soon get bored, but cycling home from the pub listening to my mp3 player (hopefully on a cycle track) is marvellous, or in the car whilst driving is great to.

I have a second hand Audiolab A8000 driving some original Mission 751 (not Freedoms) taking many a source. Pro-jet Debut II Turntable gets a mix of my old Queen and Level 42 vinyl along with growing collection of 70's Funk favourites. There's a NAS drive containing FLAC files, processed by a WDTV Box and a Cambridge Audio DAC. I still, and will buy CD's rather than downloads unless just after the odd track. Eventually I will get a decent streamer that can handle HQ internet radio as well as the FLAC files.
Like the fact my favourite albums get played on vinyl as a special, almost ceremonial treat.

Moved from vinyl to CD, then to MP3, and then to steaming a year ago. Have sold all equipment and items along the way.

Now I have a Geneva Bluetooh speaker (their stuff is awesome, superb sound), and I use Deezer Premium, £9.99 a month. Used to have Google Play, but Deezer has the biggest library of all the sites.

Do I regret it? Never. It's the best thing ever - imagine this 20 years ago! I had no emotional attachment to any format beforehand, no misty eyes here. Having such an unlimited library at your disposal really is music fan heaven for me.

.....and get well soon Ray, all the best!

Edited by spongebob

Thanks sponge bob ;) I forgot to mention an observation . I have ceiling speakers , in bedroom/ hallway as mentioned. I have a lot of remastered CDs . However, playing cds that were released and not remastered sound good through these also . Regarding streaming etc. the only off putting thing for me, is the fact that you have to rely on a wifi connection. Listening to tune in radio for example, can infuriate me . Some of you have seen my rants about bt broadband already ;)

In the spirit of "the longer this goes on the better", I though I'd stick my audio thoughts of the day on to this thread.
I have a fairly humble hi-fi setup which is a mix of old and newer stuff. I have a 70s Pioneer PL11 turntable, Cambridge Audio phono preamp, Denon DM39 CD receiver/amp and a pair of old Wharfedale Dovedale SP speakers. I've got to move flat next month and any flat we can afford to rent has a smaller living room than our current tenement. So I've decided to move on the massive Wharfedales in favour of some bookshelf speakers. I've just picked up a pair of 80s Kef C10 speakers for a tenner, and I'm sat here listening to them and trying to get used to them. I had to re-glue the dust caps on the woofers, but otherwise they seem in good order.
The Wharfedales have bass that goes quite deep and they're quite relaxed and mellow sounding (not sure what words someone more into hi-fi would use here, but you get the picture I hope). The Kefs don't have the same depth in the bass, and they seem a bit more forward-sounding with anything rockish, but they feel a little more detailed somehow. So it may turn out to be less of a compromise than I had feared. Now I need to find some decent wall-mounting brackets...

Edited by Beer of the Bass