Why become a member? ×

Strings question

Bob G

I have recently acquired a bass and have no idea what strings it has on it (other than that they are metal as opposed to gut or synthetic) or how old they are. If I were to describe the winding at each end by colour would it be possible to identify them that way?

The reason I ask this is because, as I develop my technique I may want strings that produce, say, a warmer, or punchier, or more sustainy, or louder (!) tone so it would be useful to know what I am currently using as a reference point for further exploration. Perhaps I should point out that I am working towards playing jazz, and pizz only, for now at least.

If this is any help the silk at the tail end is a darkish red, at the headstock E is green, A black, D red, G brown.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Bob G

[quote name='Bob G' timestamp='1424217728' post='2694101']...
If this is any help the silk at the tail end is a darkish red, at the headstock E is green, A black, D red, G brown....
[/quote]
[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1424250465' post='2694248']
There is a string identifier on here somewhere....
[/quote]

...and here it is... :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209121-string-identifier/"]String Identification ...[/url]

[quote name='Bob G' timestamp='1424217728' post='2694101']
I have recently acquired a bass and have no idea what strings it has on it (other than that they are metal as opposed to gut or synthetic) or how old they are. If I were to describe the winding at each end by colour would it be possible to identify them that way?

The reason I ask this is because, as I develop my technique I may want strings that produce, say, a warmer, or punchier, or more sustainy, or louder (!) tone so it would be useful to know what I am currently using as a reference point for further exploration. Perhaps I should point out that I am working towards playing jazz, and pizz only, for now at least.

If this is any help the silk at the tail end is a darkish red, at the headstock E is green, A black, D red, G brown.

Thanks for any help!
[/quote]
Could be Pirastro Obligatos. The peg end colours are correct. Is the ball end dark red with some black in it?