Why become a member? ×

New York

Dropzone

Liberty Island trip is good. Take comfy shoes, you will walk miles. Katz' Deli on the lower east side is ace too. Def worth checking out. Empire State of course. Staten Island Ferry is free and lets you rub shoulders with real NYers. Madison Sq Gdn do a tour which is great value. Worth a look. If you get The Village Voice on line, there are always events on that you might fancy. Its a great place. Plus Grand Central Stn food court and of course Times Sq and Central Park. Enjoy

Congratulations.

We went last year for my Wife's 30th.

One of my highlights was a central park bike tour it was great few hours and the guide was very knowledgeable, this should be good entertainment for the kids.

Top of the Rock (Rockerfeller centre) at sunset is great, we booked this for our first night so we could get a feel for NYC. As my mate said - 'if you go up the Empire State you can't see the Empire State' afterall the Empire State Building is part of the skyline you're up there to see.

If you get the free Staten Island ferry it goes right past the statue of liberty and costs nothing.

Just walking around the place and exploring is great - but have a plan i.e we're walking from here to here via these places. Walk or cycle Brooklyn Bridge.

Definitely get over to Brooklyn, i'ts good to get a different perspective and see Manhattan from afar.

Go to the Baseball - we went to the Metz and had a great evening out.

Katz deli is good but be careful of the rules or they'll shout at you! Loads of great pizza places too.

We did a Green Bus company open top bus tour - not recommended. The bus was terrible and none of the headsets worked so we couldn't hear the guide - there are better companies.

If you don't know about Air BNB and haven't booked accommodation have a look a look at the site - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/ you can stop in peoples apartments or houses often cheaper than 'official' apartment rentals .

Would recommend a trip out top Coney Island on the subway - it takes a while but it's a great place to visit. Look out at the sea and think "next stop is Ireland!" Skylight Diner is a great place to eat, as is the ESPN bar if you're a sports nut.

Many congrats too :)

Edited by DaytonaRik

Make sure you leave plenty of time on your wedding day? Assuming you're getting married at City Hall(?) you'll have to go to three or four different places to get different stamps and seals etc. from different people to make everything legit. They're all within walking distance from each other but they keep you waiting for a while. The ceremony is short but the other stuff will take up half a day!

If your kids are young take them to Toys R Us on Times Square. It's huge and has a Ferris wheel inside!

Aside from what others have said I hear the High Line is cool but I haven't actually been yet.

I took Mrs Bigjas there last year for 2 nights. I loved it there and wished we had longer there. We stayed at The Edison Hotel in Times Square , it was a nice hotel with lots of character and very central in Manhattan. Take very comfortable walking shoes and walk as much as you can. You will miss so much if you take a taxi. We visited all the usual popular tourist attractions and had a great time.

Jas

Amazing place and can't wait to go back

Number 1. Really comfy trainers are a must and totally acceptable virtually everywhere It's a film set you have seen before on nearly every street corner so try walk as much as possible rather than by tube and that way you will see more.

Having said the above we took the tube to Brooklyn then walked back over the bridge, amazing skyline.

Central Park, yes they do really roller skate round it pushing prams !!

Statue of Liberty, Empire State, great value considering the iconic status. Might be good to do Empire State and Top of the Rock as one at night and one during day as they are equally amazing views.

You are in for a brilliant time

Got to New York Sunday night, with wind chill it was -35 as we stepped out of the airport! I like cold but that really took my breath away.

Central Park is fantastic, even more so with all the snow, really beautiful with a couple of skating rinks and plenty to see and do, I'm sure you're kids would like it. It's huge and for 90 ish dollars you can get a rickshaw tour that takes in all the sights if you don't fancy the walk.

Times Square was pretty good and even as an adult the toys r us there is great, has a huge animatronic T. rex and tons of cool stuff.
We'll probably check out the Statue of Liberty and Coney Island over the next couple of days.
Just being here and wandering round is just great, been to places up and down the west coast and New York is such a different experience, well worth a visit.

Also dragged the Mrs out to red bank NJ to go to Jay and Silent Bobs secret stash, Kevin Smith's comic book store.

Edited by Subbeh

The best steakhouse I've ever been to in Manhattan is a place called Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. It's on 51st between 6th and 7th avenues, not cheap but the food was fantastic. Some of the open top bus tours are good too, you can hop on and off all day. I can't remember the name of the one I did but the buses were like a burgundy and cream sort of colour, you can haggle with them and get the uptown and downtown loops for a pretty good price. The Twin tower memorials are also well worth a visit, beautifully understated. Can't agree enough with the take comfortable shoes, you will walk a LOT! Don't know how long you're going for but its worth maybe making 2 lists of activities, one list of things that you most definitely want to do and a second list of things you'd like to do if time allows. Time flies and it's easy to get to the last day and realise there's loads you still want to do. Most of all just enjoy, take it in, it's an amazing place. I've been to plenty of places and if I could only ever go back to one place I've visited I'd pick NY without hesitation. I absolutely love the place.

A lot of what you get to do will depend on where you are staying and how much you want to walk. And if you don't want to do a lot of walking you are going to miss out on a lot of things.

I would agree that Coney Island is worth a visit, but I only went there because it happened to be at the end of the line whose station was closest to the apartment where I was staying.

If you are interested in that sort of thing a visit to the Transit Museum in Brooklyn is well worth the time. If you like art the Met, Guggenheim and MOMA are all essential. Don't bother going to the cinema unless you can stand the overwhelming stench of stale popcorn.

Have fun.