Why become a member? ×

Future generations musical ear worries

Mook

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1424342407' post='2695264']
I have a great ear. Just the one; looks like the BFG's. The other is all shrivelled and weak.

As for TABS done by 'professionals', can I be a professional TAB writer? Can I? Can I? How much will I get paid? Is it millions? It is, isn't it? Yum yum!!
[/quote]

If I was paying for something I'd expect full proffesional notation, not of this amateurish TAB. What is it anyway?

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1424267021' post='2694526']
... that's the way ... uh huh, uh huh ... I rather like it ... uh huh, uh huh
... that's the way ... uh huh, uh huh ... I rather like it ... uh huh, uh huh

[/quote]

You see, that's how you personalise a cover version. :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1424279582' post='2694699']
This a good reason to not start saying, I like to put my own take on covers

[media]http://youtu.be/TLR8bOAA4-8[/media]
[/quote]

But then we have this brilliance

[media]http://youtu.be/CsiP-GrbbD0[/media]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1424340175' post='2695227']
On a slightly off-piste (but related note), what worries me more is that most younger people seem to listen to music on tinny iphones (or similar) where you can't hear the bass properly anyway and just sound generally awful. With that being the case, does it matter what you play or how you play it, as no-one's going to hear it reproduced properly anyway.
[/quote]

Have you got an iPhone? Have you heard what music sounds like on one with a half decent pair of earbuds?

You sound like you don't know what you're talking about, that's a stupid statement with no grounding in reality.

I DO have an iPhone with a half decent pair of earbuds and the varied music I listen to, from Delius to Rush, all sounds rich, warm, deep and very detailed.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1424807993' post='2700728']
Have you got an iPhone? Have you heard what music sounds like on one with a half decent pair of earbuds?

You sound like you don't know what you're talking about, that's a stupid statement with no grounding in reality.

I DO have an iPhone with a half decent pair of earbuds and the varied music I listen to, from Delius to Rush, all sounds rich, warm, deep and very detailed.
[/quote]

It's a crying shame that you've got great sounding ear buds and play such dreadful music through them :P

:)

I agree, an iPhone with a decent set of ear phones can sound great especially if encoded using the apple lossless encoder but unfortunately a great many younger people listen to a lot of their music through their phone's in built speaker which just doesn't do justice to the original recording especially as much of the lower end is lost. Similarly, technology has made the distrubution of music far more convenient (through streaming and MP3s) but arguably at the expense of the quality of the reproduction. So is not valid to surmise that these factors may lead to future generations not developing a musical ear for the quality of a recording in the way that perhaps previous generations did?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1424807993' post='2700728']

[/quote]
Ouch!
My daughter has an iphone and earphones - it sounds atrocious! I think she's fairly representative of the way "young people" listen to music these days. They use whatever is supplied and don't realise the difference a decent pair of phones can make. I've tried educating her, but she shrugs in a kind of "whatever" kind of way!

I've a quality pair of noise canceling good bass headphones so I know what good phones sound like , but I've got to say the standard apple ear buds , in a quite enviouroment produce an amazing sound for what they are

So we all grew up with access to good hi fi ? I certainly didn't , don't think B B king did either :)

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1424825885' post='2700986']
I agree, an iPhone with a decent set of ear phones can sound great especially if encoded using the apple lossless encoder but unfortunately a great many younger people listen to a lot of their music through their phone's in built speaker which just doesn't do justice to the original recording especially as much of the lower end is lost. Similarly, technology has made the distrubution of music far more convenient (through streaming and MP3s) but arguably at the expense of the quality of the reproduction. So is not valid to surmise that these factors may lead to future generations not developing a musical ear for the quality of a recording in the way that perhaps previous generations did?
[/quote]

Oh OK I see what you mean. I doubt many kids do that, I've seen them do it on the bus, and I have seen a friend's kids do it with their iPad, but I doubt your suggestion is widespread and that that's how a great many kids listen to music through choice. Most kids I see are using headphones.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1424826385' post='2700988']
Ouch!
My daughter has an iphone and earphones - it sounds atrocious! I think she's fairly representative of the way "young people" listen to music these days. They use whatever is supplied and don't realise the difference a decent pair of phones can make. I've tried educating her, but she shrugs in a kind of "whatever" kind of way!
[/quote]

I have the latest iPhone headphones and they are very good, if I can get them to stay in my ears, they are certainly not atrocious by any stretch of imagination. I use a good pair of ear buds normally. The pair I got with my work Samsung are crap, but they still chuck out some bass.

I think too many people assume kids don't know what music should sound like.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1424842376' post='2701007']So we all grew up with access to good hi fi ? I certainly didn't , don't think B B king did either :)[/quote]

Plus ça change...

Phil Spector developed the Wall of Sound to deal with people listening on things like this

[url="https://flic.kr/p/e1Y3NW"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/e1Y3NW"]Vintage Regency TR-1 Transistor Radio[/url] by [url="https://www.flickr.com/people/51764518@N02/"]France1978[/url], on Flickr

Edited by cybertect

I listened to all my music on tapes in the 70s on something like this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9091821.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12488199530%7Ctsid:59158%7Ccid:200217410%7Clid:94808390930%7Cnw:g%7Ccrid:52795789490%7Crnd:15759072608373656342%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o2%7Cbku:1

Can't believe they're still being made!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1424871335' post='2701379']
Yes. I know all the words to a bunch of ELO, ABBA and Baron Knights songs.
[/quote]

And I'm guessing you can tune a bass from a single reference tone without using an electronic tuner... (bringing this back to OP's observation about a musical ear rather than hi-fi)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1424871519' post='2701383']

And I'm guessing you can tune a bass from a single reference tone without using an electronic tuner... (bringing this back to OP's observation about a musical ear rather than hi-fi)
[/quote]

Yes. I used to tune my violin using a tuning fork.

I've also been known to accidentally knock a machine head on a cymbal stand and have to retune mid song without stopping. Although I don't think that is something you practice, you just learn it from necessity.

Edited by TimR