Why become a member? ×

Future generations musical ear worries

Mook

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424175550' post='2693421']
...I see absolutely no reason for aping another drummer's style, note for note.
[/quote]

It can be done, but most drummers I've worked with in covers bands wouldn't do it or were not able to do it. As far as covers go, drums are the most difficult to get right from the point of view of how they sound, particularly with an acoustic kit. To be honest, I'm usually more than happy enough if the drummer can actually play in time and hits the kick drum more than once per bar. :D

I don't think a covers band is obliged to try to replicate a song at all. I love putting your own spin on a song. For example, a band I used to play in did our own version of 'Come Together' by the Beatles. It was quite a heavy sounding band, and when the singer announced the song there would be a bit of a groan from the audience. They soon shut up when we launched into it in a drop D tuning. Sounded wicked and we used to get asked to play it over and over.

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424169479' post='2693299']
Just getting a gripe off my chest......I have been playing bass for many a year now and like to think that my ear is good enough that I can get a close enough approximation of a bassline by listening to it. But I find that now whenever I need to learn a bass part I reach straight for the dodgy youtube clips of people playing the lines. Even if their wrong it gives me the general impression of the line and saves me doing the hard work of working it out by ear.

It is way too easy now and I can totally understand why people use them or tabs to learn bass parts, but this has to come at a price when you are
learning to play.

I have, what limited musical ear I have, because I had no choice but to sit down and pick out a bassline bit by bit which could take weeks. It's a shame that no-one really needs to do this anymore and it can only limit future generations musical ears which is so vital, not just for learning songs but for improvisation and last minute dep work.

It's a shame.......that's all.

[/quote]

Not really my experience. Youtube has helped me crack a few tunes in the past, where notation didn't exist and my ear fell short. The lightbulb moment where you realise how something was played is the important bit, less important is how you get there.

Agree ear training is vital (and IMO, so is reading music), but tab / videos can all help.

Edited by Drax

People not learning by ear will be one of those first world problems.

:D

Most of the people who I've been in bands with that swear blind they can play by ear make an absolute balls up of the songs they try...I wish sometimes they would maybe get some guidance from a decent score or tab.

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424169479' post='2693299']
Just getting a gripe off my chest......I have been playing bass for many a year now and like to think that my ear is good enough that I can get a close enough approximation of a bassline by listening to it. But I find that now whenever I need to learn a bass part I reach straight for the dodgy youtube clips of people playing the lines. Even if their wrong it gives me the general impression of the line and saves me doing the hard work of working it out by ear.

It is way too easy now and I can totally understand why people use them or tabs to learn bass parts, but this has to come at a price when you are
learning to play.

I have, what limited musical ear I have, because I had no choice but to sit down and pick out a bassline bit by bit which could take weeks. It's a shame that no-one really needs to do this anymore and it can only limit future generations musical ears which is so vital, not just for learning songs but for improvisation and last minute dep work.

It's a shame.......that's all.

Thanks for listening :)
[/quote]
was thinking about this the other day. Before the internet we had to record an LP or single to cassette, then spend time forwarding and rewinding, while trying to work out tuning issues because the tape player was running fast or slow.

Nowadays just find some bloke on Youtube to walk you through it.

Ahh yeh I am just being an old grump, things were better in my day, type thing........Just pointing out how lazy it has made me regarding learning songs......and laziness can't be a good thing if you were looking to progress your playing. Not saying it's only way to progress but surely being able learn a song by ear has to be a big advantage in a lot of musical situations.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1424177235' post='2693453']
Dunno about you, but I find a lot of stuff online isn't actually correct or misses a lot of the nuances. If you want a job doing properly...
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1424178459' post='2693472']
The form of music you are talking about is dying anyway.
[/quote]

What form of music [i]are [/i]we talking about anyway?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1424177235' post='2693453']
Dunno about you, but I find a lot of stuff online isn't actually correct or misses a lot of the nuances. If you want a job doing properly...
[/quote]

This is part of what I was trying to say really....

Edited by Mook

I transcribe everything (but I don't write it down so is it really transcribing), in fact it's probably the thing I enjoy most.
Admittedly I'll use Audacity in order to loop parts & slow them if necessary.
I also play in a three piece covers band & we play everything our way, because we can. Anyone can play the original but I prefer it when a band add their own stamp to their set.
Our reggae version of 'I Need a Dollar' is killer even if I do say so myself :-)

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424179733' post='2693494']
Ahh yeh I am just being an old grump, things were better in my day, type thing........Just pointing out how lazy it has made me regarding learning songs......and laziness can't be a good thing if you were looking to progress your playing. Not saying it's only way to progress but surely being able learn a song by ear has to be a big advantage in a lot of musical situations.
[/quote]

Is it lazy? Or is it more efficient? If you acheive the same result in less time, I fail to see anything negative about this

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424185809' post='2693582']
Is it lazy? Or is it more efficient? If you acheive the same result in less time, I fail to see anything negative about this
[/quote]

It's more efficient yeh but surely not using your ear to learn can't be as good developmentally.

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424186537' post='2693596']
It's more efficient yeh but surely not using your ear to learn can't be as good developmentally.
[/quote]

But you said you have to refine what you learn as the clips you watch just give you the basics. I'd say that's the most important part. You wouldn't be able to do that without a "good ear"

[quote name='Mook' timestamp='1424186537' post='2693596']
[/quote]
So you recommend everyone to attend formal classical training so they all get the most rapid and effective development?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1424188774' post='2693628']
So you recommend everyone to attend formal classical training so they all get the most rapid and effective development?
[/quote]
If Mook was interested in being a "classical" musician, then, that would be good advice. However...
Assuming that we all have a limited amount of time per day to devote to our instrument, having things like Youtube, electronic tuners and any other time-savers allows us to spend the rest of our allocated time to something more beneficial - that would include proper ear-training exercises.

If somebody came up to me after a gig and said 'You played that line differently from the record' the first thing I'd say would be 'You're a bass player aren't you?' and he'd say 'Yes' and I'd say 'I thought so, because nobody else would know or care' and he'd laugh nervously and say 'Yes, I suppose so' and I'd say 'Are you in a band?' and he'd say 'Yes' and I say 'Do you play that song?' and he'd say 'Yes' and I'd say 'Do you play it like it's done on the record?' and he'd say 'Yes' and I'd say 'That's fantastic. I'd love to hear you play that. When are you gigging next?' and he'd say 'Next Tuesday week' and I'd say 'Oh, that's a shame, I promised the wife we'd stay in that night and fold some towels.'

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1424194128' post='2693703']

If Mook was interested in being a "classical" musician, then, that would be good advice. However...
Assuming that we all have a limited amount of time per day to devote to our instrument, having things like Youtube, electronic tuners and any other time-savers allows us to spend the rest of our allocated time to something more beneficial - that would include proper ear-training exercises.
[/quote]

True, fair comment

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1424211738' post='2693981']
Fair comment? Electronic tuners? How do they help your ears?
[/quote]
Eh?

EDIT: Not wishing to put words into his mouth, but my interpretation of his post is that Mook was merely conceding that [i][b]perhaps[/b][/i] time saving devices have their uses after-all, allowing more efficient use of ones limited practice time.

Edited by SteveK