Why become a member? ×

Stolen from another forum - your tips for FREE tone!

Moos3h

Turn the bass control nearly completely OFF. I did it a year ago and it's changed my life! Much more expressive, cleaner, drier, distinct and there's more room for everything else on stage/in the venue.

I can get more volume out of a lower powered amp, low B sounds epic, note clarity is improved, dynamic changes in playing style are enhanced and generally everything is better! I always wondered how to get the sort of tones you always hear on recordings and it's achieved by removing most of the bass! Try it for a couple of weeks and see I you don't think you sound better.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1424101499' post='2692594']
Listen to what all the other instruments are doing and play something appropriate.
[/quote]

+1

Learn to love the other instruments in the band more than the sound of bass.....

One I read somewhere - practice songs with the treble turned right up and the bass cut..... all about the attack....
then turn the bass up and the treble down... all about the sustain.... obviously don't play live like that but it's useful to get a feel on the envelope of the note and your right hand

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1424106054' post='2692677']
Turn the bass control nearly completely OFF. I did it a year ago and it's changed my life! Much more expressive, cleaner, drier, distinct and there's more room for everything else on stage/in the venue.

I can get more volume out of a lower powered amp, low B sounds epic, note clarity is improved, dynamic changes in playing style are enhanced and generally everything is better! I always wondered how to get the sort of tones you always hear on recordings and it's achieved by removing most of the bass! Try it for a couple of weeks and see I you don't think you sound better.
[/quote]

That's an interesting one. Almost seems counter-intuitive but I'll give that a go next time I've go the combo out in a live situation.

Great topic! However, to me it seems like some of you are addressing EQ and processing your signal and some are indeed addressing tone.

Tone, well good tone like anything else comes from hours of wood shedding. If you invest in it you will have the tone you want, [i]"you can't buy tone." [/i]You can buy EQ & Processing.

Tone comes from our fingers, dexterity, muscles control and a good understanding of what you want to do with them.

Do you have a good understanding of how you want to execute your parts, are you aggressive or more laid back and smooth?

A guitarist asked me a few weeks ago after he noticed I grab a lot of notes with my left small finger (pinky) on the neck. He asked me how I do it. My response, [i]"You really have to build up strength in your pinky finger and that takes time, dedication and of course practice".[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424140322' post='2693151']

A guitarist asked me a few weeks ago after he noticed I grab a lot of notes with my left small finger (pinky) on the neck. He asked me how I do it. My response, [i]"You really have to build up strength in your pinky finger and that takes time, dedication and of course practice".[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

Showoff :D

It's nothing to do with improving tone, but I became a more useful bass player when I started boosting the height of my cab (by using the keyboard combo as a handy amp-stand) during rehearsal... I could hear what noise I was actually making, not what I thought/hoped I was making.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424140322' post='2693151']

Blue
[/quote]

Haha I play a lot with my winky, especially with big hands using it makes playing a breeze.

I know its not 'Free' but they are extremely cheap so I would suggest looking at guitar pick choice and how you connect with the strings whether you use the face of the pick or use the side of the pick.

Also look at picking the string closer to the neck and closer to the bridge, both make a difference as well.

[quote name='b7l4s' timestamp='1424433456' post='2696219']
It's nothing to do with improving tone, but I became a more useful bass player when I started boosting the height of my cab (by using the keyboard combo as a handy amp-stand) during rehearsal... I could hear what noise I was actually making, not what I thought/hoped I was making.
[/quote]

Yes this, especially at gigs it makes an absolute massive difference - providing the guitarists do it as well.

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1424110366' post='2692747']
Embrace your mids :D
[/quote]

This! Flatten that eq or even get the sad face eq, either way, your sound will improve. Get rid of those nasty boominess lows!

Record your practice session such that you can solo the bass part if possible.

Listen back critically and evaluate what leaves you underwhelmed in your attempts

Figuring out what is actually wrong may require the help of a more experienced player but once you know what to work on and how to work on it you can

Until you do this you are just guessing about how you really sound to the rest of the band and the general public IMO

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1424605289' post='2698143']
Record your practice session such that you can solo the bass part if possible.

Listen back critically and evaluate what leaves you underwhelmed in your attempts

Figuring out what is actually wrong may require the help of a more experienced player but once you know what to work on and how to work on it you can

Until you do this you are just guessing about how you really sound to the rest of the band and the general public IMO
[/quote]

If I'm practising my band's stuff then I usually load up the recording of it in Reaper, remove the bassline and play along to the recording using headphones. Then I can go back and solo the drums and bass, or just the bass and do this type of critique. It throws up a lot of issues with fingering notes properly and fully. Quite often I use the top of my fingers when I pluck and I get a fairly hollow sound. So after listening to is soloed, I use more flesh in the attack and that helps with getting a fuller deeper note.

I have started to cut the real lows with an EQ pedal (or should I say the EQ effect in a zoom ms60b). The lowest band is 50hz, so I cut that a good bit. It doesnt affect the proper bass being produced by the amp, but it tightens up the sound massively. Well thats what I find anyway.