Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 - Considering A Change?

spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424454034' post='2696552']
I think this is the matching cab? I think it's either just out, or coming soon -
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-rumble-210-cabinet-v3/111426?gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRm2ZTFSnZvmFC0ksnQg3CnZOQ8lkgpoAUhoJ1rNjAeohoCq9zw_wcB"]http://www.gak.co.uk...jAeohoCq9zw_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

That one's 22.5" wide, according to PMT. The spec isn't on the Fender website. Duh! :rolleyes:
I'd really like a Rumble 500, but my OCD demands a matching-width extension cab.

Edited by discreet

I have had my rumble combo for about a month now and I honestly think it is a great amp. 350 @ 8ohms does make a big impression (the slight boost with vintage control on is a real bonus and to my ear gives a slightly richer bass tone). Played in a medium venue (150 seats) and it was on about 9 o'clock on the gain and master and it really needed no more.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424368386' post='2695621']
Excellent! We do a mix of covers/originals, all classic R'n'B as well. The covers are mainly Dr. Feelgood, funnily enough! :D
[/quote]

They had a supplied Ampeg SVT 810 for the backline, so I didn't have to get the Rumble out of the car in the end :)

Just got home after my first gig with the Rumble.

In a word, awesome. It was a loud gig, but I cut through with bags of presence. Volume only on a quarter. I can't see myself needing a cab with this, it's huge, unbelievably so.

I think I can call this a success. Thanks to all for their great advice on this!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424567165' post='2697931']
It was a loud gig, but I cut through with bags of presence. Volume only on a quarter. I can't see myself needing a cab with this, it's huge, unbelievably so.
[/quote]

Well that's what we want to hear. So presumably there's plenty of headroom and it doesn't run out of steam... Pretty good if its running at 350W without an extension cab. :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424589095' post='2697971']
I don't know how Fender do it but even the v2 350w combos were plenty loud enough for a decent sized pub
[/quote]

Yep, I had the predecessor, the Fender Pro 210 combo and that was plenty enough for pub gigs on its own.

Must admit, I was amazed. 1/4 on the volume was plenty, with bags and bags on power left in the tank. Years ago this thing would have weighed about 3 tons!

I think it's the vintage switch which is the big winner here. As soon as it's engaged, the tone goes from normal tone to wow! It's supposed to emulate an old vintage valve amp, and the difference is huge - I've left mine in permanently - gives it the edge over any other solid state combo I've tried before...The presence it gives just fills the room.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424600619' post='2698063']
I think it's the vintage switch which is the big winner here. As soon as it's engaged, the tone goes from normal tone to wow! It's supposed to emulate an old vintage valve amp, and the difference is huge - I've left mine in permanently - gives it the edge over any other solid state combo I've tried before...The presence it gives just fills the room.
[/quote]

From what you're saying I'm guessing this is not any kind of mid-scoop control? I'm thinking of the VPF on Markbass gear. Also the VLE control, which emulates a 'vintage' sound by basically cutting the top end somewhat... how do you think the Rumble vintage works?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424601370' post='2698075']
I used to make sure that my Markbass filters were off as they all zapped the tone IMHO - whereas this vintage option actually increases power and presence.
[/quote]

Again, this is what I want to hear! Also the size, weight and cost are very favourable... and it looks cool, too... dammit! :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424602570' post='2698099']
My apologies to you Mark - I'll write to your bank manager!!
[/quote]

Thanks! But I'd be happy if I could just find out who he actually [i]is[/i], because [i]someone[/i] at my bank keeps stopping me from buying stuff! :huh:

Interested in views on this, i'm currently using an Ashdown ABM500 210 Combo which i really like the sound of, however it's becoming a pain to move around so i want something a bit lighter,

My Thoughts are either one of these or the Markbass 1x12 with the extension cab, i play in a covers band usual function stuff 60's to date, bit of everything really rock, motown, pop,you know the stuff, generally using a P with flats, prefer more vintage sound with plenty bottom end would these fit the bill ??

don't want to mess about with eq much pretty much looking for simple plug and play type

Cheers steve

[quote name='peety' timestamp='1424764068' post='2700043']
Thanks Loz

other comments seemed to indicate that, can't seem to find anywhere nearby to try one out so would be buying blind so to speak, guess i'm just after some reassurance, although at the price you can't really lose out

Cheers steve
[/quote]

I bought mine 'blind' as well - and can only re-enforce my previous posts....these are as good as many have said. You can't go wrong.

Just don't get it from GAK, as you might end up with the broken one I returned....and somebody had clearly returned before me! :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424602364' post='2698093']

Again, this is what I want to hear! Also the size, weight and cost are very favourable... and it looks cool, too... dammit! :)
[/quote]

I'm in Anerley these days Mark - you're more than welcome to pop over and have a blast through my 40 (not quite the same, I know) to get a feel for the different preamp voicings/tones available.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1425069436' post='2703713']
I'm in Anerley these days Mark - you're more than welcome to pop over and have a blast through my 40 (not quite the same, I know) to get a feel for the different preamp voicings/tones available.
[/quote]

Well that's very kind of you, sir... I will PM you in a day or two if that's OK..?