Why become a member? ×

I hate my Fender!

phaty

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1426233422' post='2715832']
...no bass is supplied with flats, I'm never going to get a 100% bond with a bass in a shop.
[/quote]

Tru, dat. You always have to say to yourself, 'well, the action will go much lower and the strings won't shred my fingers...'

• 5 years later...

... by the way. The Fender was gone for 3 years to support a young musician in my family who now switched to Tiktok Singing I guess and what can I say. I LOVE MY FENDER NOW! 4 years playing a boutique bass and all of a sudden I enjoy the Fender Sound. I will however get it pleked and adjusted. Because boutique basses are such a joy to play ... 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I never doubted that @Chiliwailer - to be honest I hated myself because in my mind I am that badass punk kid with a P bass .. being 53 now ... but I think I wasn't able to appreciate it a few years ago. The better I get the more I "understand" ... also look what the 4 years did to the looks ❤️ 

117408323_10221990375461142_2857276325535890118_o.thumb.jpg.443044f6c8f943f40b098b43045ddd1d.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/02/2015 at 23:18, Beedster said:

Precisions don't sound good soloed, the magic is in the mix

Not according to my taste and opinion, I like the way a P bass sound soloed, and much prefer it over the thin burpy tone of a J bass, it needs to be played through a proper cab or cab sim though, not through a full range speaker or even worse a set of headphones without going through a proper cab sim before.

If you only option for practicing is through headphones then you need to get some kind of decent cab simulator pedal, preferably with the option for loading 3rd party cab IRs, to place between your bass and headphone amp.

I can warmly recommend the NUX Solid Studio IR & Poweramp Simulator, which use over double the IR resolution of for example the Mooer Radar, while only being ever so slightly more expensive, although not having as many features, though I'd prefer the higher resolution of the NUX Solid Studio over the extra bells and whistles of the Mooer Radar, since all you will really need is 1 great cab IR (the NUX will require of you to find a 3rd party cab IR, the Mooer got a couple of bass cab IRs unlike the NUX, which only features guitar cab IRs from stock, but you'll likely want just the right 3rd party cab IR anyway, so I don't really see that as much of an issue, for that I recommend you checking out https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/ , his trademark HyperReal cab IR mixes sounds amazing (included in all the IR packs he offers, I personally prefer the ones recorded with an AKG C414 XLS microphone)).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 15/02/2015 at 11:06, theyellowcar said:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423990261' post='2691120']

It did indeed, at the Herts Bass Bash, and it wasn`t a close call - it won by miles.
[/quote]

That's my bass! There was some stiff competition too!

Any link to the shootout for those of us who missed it! I’ve heard about it before and that the results were rather unexpected and interesting!

Regarding the OP, I think the dry lined signal in headphones of any bass is sort of an aquired taste. I happen to like it but many use an amp sim when practising through headphones.

1 hour ago, Vanheusen77 said:

Any link to the shootout for those of us who missed it! I’ve heard about it before and that the results were rather unexpected and interesting!

With a bit of digging through the search function I found the blog post that wrapped up the day including the fulls results of the shootout and a couple of video clips of how Lozz ran the show at the time.

https://bassclef141.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/herts-bass-bash-2014/

edit: and Lozz’s post: 

Edited by theyellowcar

I never got the Precision thing when I was younger until I joined this forum. Decided one day to take a shot on a lovely MIJ Fender FSR Classic 60s Lacquer Precision, and couple years later it was long gone.

... and I owned two pre-CBS Fender Ps. So be careful, it’s a dangerous game...