Why become a member? ×

I hate my Fender!

phaty

I was totally okay with my Mark Hoppus Fender until I stated to play through the PJB Bighead Headphone Amp and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Headphones ... that is all good stuff!
But the sound of my bass now is horrible - to a point where it is annoying so I want to stop. If I play it through my Hughes & Kettner combo or through my bass teachers mixer in his studio it sounds just wonderful to me.
So what do I get there? Is that headphone sound simply the naked truth of what the instrument sounds like?

The 'sound of truth' is what does it sound like live, then how does it record? You say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If I play it through my Hughes & Kettner combo or through my bass teachers mixer in his studio it sounds just wonderful to me" which gives you the answer :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Caneronj279 states it well, "[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]why fix what isn't broken? " [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Enjoy your Fender, otherwise it is a long expensive trail that can be never ending to find the tone.[/font][/color]

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1423952286' post='2690923']
Precisions don't sound good soloed, the magic is in the mix
[/quote]

Absolutely. That's why Victor Wooten doesn't play one. :)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1423952587' post='2690926']
...unless you plan on having a music career playing through a headphone amp Into your headphones, I'd suggest you don't have a problem.
[/quote]

A P bass needs to be played through an amp with a band. Air needs to be moved. Trousers need to be flapped. Wombs need to be vibrated. And quite possibly in that order. Playing solo bass through headphones is like having a hand shandy on a bus. No-one does it unless they [i]really [/i]have to.

• Haha 2

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1423957658' post='2691000']
Rickenbackers have no low end.
Ashdowns are ill-defined and muddy.
Gibson have never made a decent bass.
[/quote]

All true, and I would add that as well as sounding muddy, Ashdowns will also spontaneously burst into flames - so be careful.

[/quote]

Yep, found this one out a while back. All my fave bassists played Precisions, yet when I first tried one I was distinctly underwhelmed. But then I played it with the band, and suddenly it all made sense.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1423957658' post='2691000']

Also:
Rickenbackers have no low end.
Ashdowns are ill-defined and muddy.
Gibson have never made a decent bass.
[/quote]

I'm going to assume this is a critique on the whole "opinion as fact" thing. If I'm wrong about that, shut your piehole ;)

[/quote]

Mine sounds bloody lovely, sounds good on its own or in a band.

The hoppus has the 1/4lb pickup which my nate mendel came with...I wasn't getting on with it, so I got an aguilar 60's one and it's perfect.

With the kids in bed I use the GK amp emulator app through headphones, and it sounds alright.

But I use Ashdown so what do I know 😂

I don't have a band and I don't mix it - I am a beginner who needs to practice this way because I am on the road a lot. When I am with my bass teacher it is something like "in the mix" because I play along songs or drum computers and it is okay there. Doesn't help me too much when I practice without any music and simply annoy myself with the noise I make :) But it seems like I have to live with that, which is okay ...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1423952587' post='2690926']
Yup, unless you plan on having a successful music career playing through a headphone amp Into your headphones, I'd suggest you don't have a problem :).

Si
[/quote]

Can't argue with this !

[quote name='phaty' timestamp='1423980453' post='2691081']
I don't have a band and I don't mix it - I am a beginner who needs to practice this way because I am on the road a lot. When I am with my bass teacher it is something like "in the mix" because I play along songs or drum computers and it is okay there. Doesn't help me too much when I practice without any music and simply annoy myself with the noise I make :) But it seems like I have to live with that, which is okay ...
[/quote]

I mostly play with headphones at home. I've been using the Panasonic ones in the link below for years now. That are well rated by what hi if and cost under £50.

Last year I went to a hi fi shop with my bass set up and £250, hoping to come home with some better headphones. Though the mp3's I play along to sounded better on the expensive ones, the bass was massively better on the Panasonic, more depth, clarity and punch. The bass tone was most important for me,always nice to hear the tone of your bass. I came home with my original headphones and my cash. Nice.

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/rp-htx7/review

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423957855' post='2691005']
All true, and I would add that as well as sounding muddy, Ashdowns will also spontaneously burst into flames - so be careful.
[/quote]

Sounds ideal for heavy rock and they don't charge extra for the pyrotechnics....bargain :)