Why become a member? ×

martin kemp

Bay Splayer

Alot of those rumours were probably started by hard rock fans who hated their stuff back in the 80s!

I'm not a fan, but as far as I can tell, they all looked like they could play.

Duran Duran had a similar thing with their bassist didn't they? Again, not a great fan of their stuff, but John Taylor was and is a decent player who came up with some memorable lines.

i`m no duran fan but have to admit john taylor seems like he can play ok (or maybe he too just mimes better :) )

not familiar enough with spandau to know one way or the other :huh:

he probably did play but i thought if milli vanilli could get away with it, then so could spandau

milli bloke topped himself in the end didnt he?

[quote name='uptonmark' post='261766' date='Aug 13 2008, 05:52 PM']i`m no duran fan but have to admit john taylor seems like he can play ok (or maybe he too just mimes better :) )

not familiar enough with spandau to know one way or the other :huh:

he probably did play but i thought if milli vanilli could get away with it, then so could spandau

milli bloke topped himself in the end didnt he?[/quote]

I dont know about M Kemp, but John Taylor can def play!! I saw a very old YouTube clip of him on Bernard Edwards old Stingray which he owns...He is a very good bass player.

I had a bass teacher earlier in the year (I had to give up for a bit due to ill health) who used to be a session musician, help told me one horror story that he sometimes had to play bass on tracks recorded by chart bands and then spend time teaching the bands actual bass player how to play the song in a very basic way - I always imagined one of them bass players was Martina Kemp, he wouldn't admit who the bands were - I'd love to know.

Cheers

[quote name='bubinga5' post='261806' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:38 PM']I dont know about M Kemp, but John Taylor can def play!! I saw a very old YouTube clip of him on Bernard Edwards old Stingray which he owns...He is a very good bass player.[/quote]

John's bass tech cut the old strings which Bernard loved from the bass and fitted new ones without John's permission. He went mental!

[quote name='ped' post='262109' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:43 AM']John's bass tech cut the old strings which Bernard loved from the bass and fitted new ones without John's permission. He went mental![/quote]

Oops! too late for sellotape. How did you get info like that, JT was a year above me at junior school but probably doesn't remember me, there must have only been a certain quata of bass talent issued to our school because I'm still barely adequate.

Cheers

[quote name='brummie' post='262113' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:57 AM']Oops! too late for sellotape. How did you get info like that, JT was a year above me at junior school but probably doesn't remember me, there must have only been a certain quata of bass talent issued to our school because I'm still barely adequate.

Cheers[/quote]

That's cool, I will ask him - my best friend's uncle is Simon Le bon so we are 'round his house sometimes. What I didn't realise is that Bernard's bass and lots of other instruments were in the basement once when I went over but I didn't know until my friend mentioned it some time after!!! Do'h

Simon played me and my friend the 'new' Duran album which I was struggling to be polite about and a few weeks later they scrapped it (this was in 2004?) which was quite funny!

Cheers
ped

• 12 years later...

I know he mimed - or at least used to - on True, he says so in his book, as it was a synth bassline. Fair play to him, he’s not miming cos he couldn’t play it, but keeping “ahem” true to the sound of the recording.

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'm fairly certain on the tune  Chant no1, don't need this pressure on... the "Spands" were more than a little "assisted" on the recording by well known black funk type outfit of the day ( who's name escapes me unfortunately)

Beggar and Co - formed from members of Light of the World

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SusiQ58 said:

Martin Kemp was taught by his Brother Gary to play bass guitar & picked it up in just 3 months, I saw them in an interview tears ago talking about these (untrue) rumours, he can sing too btw!!

I'm not sure about 'sing' to be honest - here's him and his better half crucifying a classic.......

The first three Spandau singles were pretty original sounding…. I never knew they had ‘help’ though. Not keen on anything afterwards.

Not sure how if I rate Martin as a player though…… but that’s probably because I’m jealous that he was recruited and trained on bass on the basis of his good looks😃.

2 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

The first three Spandau singles were pretty original sounding…. I never knew they had ‘help’ though. Not keen on anything afterwards.

Not sure how if I rate Martin as a player though…… but that’s probably because I’m jealous that he was recruited and trained on bass on the basis of his good looks😃.

Probably more just that he was whats-his-face's brother.. :)