Why become a member? ×

Fare thee well Steve Strange

sprocketflup

Never really a fan but Visage was part of the backdrop to my musical youth (I bought the first Spandau Ballet single 'To cut a long story short' on release and flirted with New Romanticism). Makes me sad in an utterly selfish way, as I am of a similar age and he was there in the NME etc that I used to read avidly as a teen. I said it was a selfish viewpoint but thats how I feel

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1423783902' post='2689125']
Makes me sad in an utterly selfish way, as I am of a similar age and he was there in the NME etc that I used to read avidly as a teen. I said it was a selfish viewpoint but thats how I feel
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same Clarky if it's any consolation.

Great shame, although I was never really into the New Romantic scene, Visage were a part of my youth, their music being around when I was 15/16. 55 is just too darn early, it does make you think - the ones of us that are near that age a bit more probably.

I met him a few times at Billy's, pre-Blitz era, when I was friends with George O'Dowd and Peter Robinson (later to become 'Boy' and Marilyn).

He wasn't that strange then and seemed a decent bloke. Always had great clothes though!

A lot of the original clubbers from that era said he was bit 'fake' but I always assume they were just jealous that he achieved some fame and they just remained strangely dressed nightclubbers :)