Why become a member? ×

Ibanez guitars - opinions?

mstefan@live.co.uk

[size=4]Are there any Ibanez owners, out there? What do you think of them? Ibanez have been recommended to me by a few musicians generally but I want other opinions, especially from bass players who own, or have owned them. I know there are many models so some advice as to what to look for would be useful. Advice on build quality, sound quality, and any known problems/faults etc would also be helpful. [/size]
[size=4]I'm looking for a 4-string fretless, preferably active. For example is the SDGR 300DXF any good?[/size]
[size=4]Cheers[/size]
[size=4]S[/size]

I have the SR300 which looks similar to the one you mention except that it has twin humbuckers and is active.

You won't go wrong with an Ibanez and mine is my favourite of the three bases I have had. The main thing is that they are great value but also they tend to have really slim necks which you will probably either love or you won't.

Build quality is great and you can't really go wrong. The main thing is to try before you buy so you can see if you like the slim neck.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

[quote name='[email protected]' timestamp='1423749812' post='2688582']
[size=4]Are there any Ibanez owners, out there? What do you think of them? Ibanez have been recommended to me by a few musicians generally but I want other opinions, especially from bass players who own, or have owned them. I know there are many models so some advice as to what to look for would be useful. Advice on build quality, sound quality, and any known problems/faults etc would also be helpful. [/size]
[size=4]I'm looking for a 4-string fretless, preferably active. For example is the SDGR 300DXF any good?[/size]
[size=4]Cheers[/size]
[size=4]S[/size]
[/quote]

Some ok, some good, some great. You pays your money, you takes your choice. Some of the bridges can be fragile so look carefully. There's two currently in the stock room at the local PMT suffering from the very same issue.
Personally I've had three (currently still have one), two SRs and one BTB. The SRs were a 505, and a 1205, and as far as weight, and playability went they were great (the 1205 being especially nice re weight), but the sound just left me twiddling and fiddling all the time trying to get a sound I liked, and for me they both failed. Plenty of players out there liking the range though.
Oops, I forgot, I also had a gsr 205 as a back up but never used it (no, really, I never even used it in the shop), and an ATK 305, really liked that, again the playability was great, but this time it had sounds I liked too, very nice basses (for me).!

Cheers Pete

Edited by tbonepete

I once owned an Ibanez EDB600 (luthite plastic body).

'Twas great! Very well built. Sounded good with lots of tone options. Had a very thin neck that was fast/easy to play.

I only sold it 'cos I switched to 5-strings and it wasn't getting the use it deserved. But my brief experience with Ibanez was certainly a positive one :)

I've got the GWB35 (the cheaper of the two Gary Willis Fretless 5 strings), and its well balanced, lovely slim neck, light. If I had a 4hr gig I'd take the Ibanez.

Never totally fallen for it though - find myself gravitating to something with more bite and character, especially for recording.

Edited by Drax

Big fan. I had two SR800s, fretted & fretless, regret selling them. I still have an EDA-900 Ergodyne, 1980s RS924 Roadster and early 70s 2366B Precision copy.

Modern Ibbys are amazing value/quality, the SRs are beautifully balanced & lightweight - but the ultra-skinny necks are a bit marmite, if you favour a chunky P-type you probably won't like it.

Also - buy secondhand, save a packet.

Jon.

[quote]Modern Ibbys are amazing value/quality, the SRs are beautifully balanced & lightweight - but the ultra-skinny necks are a bit marmite, if you favour a chunky P-type you probably won't like it.[/quote]

I've had two - an SR300 and an SR700 both were amazing, lovely to play, fab necks great sound on their own but somehow I just couldn't get on with them at a gig - I'm a P bass person but it was the sound I couldn't get rather than the neck

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1423773810' post='2688980']
Fantastic live basses, simple as. I finish a gig, no matter how long, and I could easily keep playing, almost no fatigue.
[/quote]

I found that also, I've had aches after an hour with some basses, but the two sr's I've had were a breeze.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1423767955' post='2688874']
I've got an SR300. Band mates can't believe how little I paid for it BRAND NEW. It's just a great bass...shame the 2nd hand values suck. They seem to lose value quicker than Gary Glitter LP's :(
[/quote]

Topical and funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good basses, especially the sr500 and above. I think I have owned most of the modern ones but always seem to have moved them on. Had a ATK 320 or something like that and that was a stonking bass but a bit ugly so it had to go.

As above, the s/hand value is shocking. I had a SR700 I paid around £500 for and I ended up getting shot of it for £250 including a hard case!

A big hanks to everyone for their replies and comments. Really helpful.
So it seems the consensus is that they are good bases throughout the range, well built and good tone (but not for everyone), with thin necks, so easy to play but not to everyone's taste, and buy second hand because they loose their value quickly (even though they are good). All great advice. I will go and try some out.
Huge thanks again.
S

FWIW I think the reason they lose value so quickly is the fact they're so common/popular. The SR range has been around now since 1987 and available in a mind-boggling range of permutations & variations, so there's no element of scarcity to keep prices high.

J.

I've had a couple of Ibanez basses
My first was a Roadstar 11 - which was a brilliant bass (my son now has it)
I had an SR500 - which must be the best sounding, best value bass ever
The electrics & Bartolini pickups produced a superb sound, which was really flexible & adaptable
Build quality was second to none - the neck was super slim Bubinga

Currently I have an Ibanez electro-acoustic which is a great instrument
Though the E string is a tad quiet when amplified...

I only sold the SR500 because although the neck was very slim & fast
I tend to prefer wider necks at the bridge end - so I can "dig in" with my fingers
and I found the strings a bit too close together for that...

If you prefer a slimmer neck, then this is the bass for you
You can get them for just over 200 quid second-hand
and I'd say they out perform anything costing twice that

Because it says "SDGR" on the headstock, and because it sounded so good
I always had other musicians coming up to me and asking what make it was
I did open mic with 2 bands once - the "main" bands bassist had a MusicMan
and was really impressed with my SR500
Another guy loaned my bass for 2 tracks - something I don't normally like to do,
but he reckoned it sounded way better than the MM - so I had to loan it to such a nice guy! ;)
Both he and the MM player made a note of what my bass was, so I take that as a compliment to its' sound

I would never have sold it if it had a slightly wider neck,
or I could justify having yet another bass around (I have a DB and an EUB also taking up domestic space!)

I also played an SR1000 a few years back, and that was brilliant too
In terms of build quality, you need to pay double the price of an Ibanez to get up to Ibby quality
But you have to like slimmer necks...
and buy a new Ibanez, and you'll lose money when you sell

If you want a 2nd hand one though - you'll get a load of bass for your money

EDIT: I meant to add, I don't think I've ever played a bad Ibanez - and I've tried quite a few...
Even those produced alongside other "brands" - the cheaper models (i.e SR200) are pretty good
and great value for money, if you're looking for an entry-level instrument

Edited by Marc S

It's the slim neck that really makes me an Ibby fan.

Whilst I love the tone quality, you can get comparable (and better) sound in a lot of cases.

Being a girl, my hands aren't very big, and I had a P bass and would be very quickly in pain through playing.

Switched to my original SR300 and never looked back!

I don't think I could play anything else now! Have had a tinkle on a few basses (a gorgeous Aria the other day) but I don't think I'd ever own anything else!

When I got back into playing after quite a few years off. I picked up an Ibby GSR200 as I didn't want to spend much. I was amazed at the sounds and quality of an entry level instrument. On reflection, I wish I hadn't sold it. Nice and easy to play, good sound for a cheapy.