Why become a member? ×

De Gier

Swingong1979

Just bought a De Gier Soulmate yesterday and wanted to right a review.

The last few months Ive been struggling weather to buy an old Fender or go with a Custom Shop model.
Ive tried many basses from pre-cbs to 70's to Custom Shop models and also a few Tokai's. They all had their positive and not-so-positive aspects to them.

In the end I decided to go with the De Gier because as soon as I picked it up and played it I new that this was THE bass I was looking for. Light weight 1 piece alder body. Amazing wide and thin neck which feel very stable. Super resonant! More than any of the basses I tried. I put a set of well used flat wounds on and still the tone was clear and punchy everywhere on the fingerboard.

Anyway I wanted to recommend trying one of these out if you can. Great basses!

Cheers

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1423732153' post='2688310']
[i]nice [/i]- but :o that is a lot of money for a P bass
[/quote]
Yes, that is a lot of money. But I own a Bebop, and that's actually quite brilliant. I've played a lot of Jazzes in my life (including Celinder, Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo and such) and the Bebops cost half as much and are (almost) as good as those more expensive brands. Knowing Sander (the luthier) he'll be sure to make the Soulmates as good as the Bebops. I'd choose a Soulmate over an equally expensive Fender AVRI any day.

Congrats with your new bass TS!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1423732153' post='2688310']
[i]nice [/i]- but :o that is a lot of money for a P bass
[/quote] cheaper than a US vintage reissue new in Guitarguitar.... mass produced fender or handbuilt high spec bass - I know what I would choose

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Swingong1979' timestamp='1423729734' post='2688285']
Its the Soulmate sunburst gold pick guard.
[/quote]
... so that was you...! Darnit - I was GASing over that bass the minute I saw it on Sander's homepage...
Pleeease tell me it turned out being a piece of sh... after a few weeks of playing... otherwise you'll make me have Sander build one like that for me...