Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1423964027' post='2691064']
So many albums to choose from, so little time... For me, the band is Focus, and I'll plump for Focus 3.
[/quote]

My Dad had Focus 3, got hooked back in...oh 73?. When I moved out I took it with me..still have it, double album on vinyl...brilliant stuff

Edited by Oopsdabassist

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1423868913' post='2690034']
Weren't Freur originally called a squiggly symbol? In that their name was simply a squiggly symbol, not an actual word/sound?

J.
[/quote]

The first two singles just had the squiggly logo and no actual band name on the cover, although the promo version of the first single did have the name "Freur" on the actual label and featured a "pronunciation guide" as one of the tracks on the B-Side. After that they were forced by the record company to have a proper name on the record sleeves

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1423922163' post='2690391']
That was Prince wasnt it?? :blink:
[/quote]

Long before Price ever thought about it.

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1423936913' post='2690624']
That's right. I remember one of the music papers at the time referring to them as 'Elephant holding a Biscuit', or something similar.
[/quote]

IIRC it was Sounds who decided to call them Elephant Holding A Stick Of Rhubarb!

As you can probably tell I was (and TBH still am) a bit of a fan. I loved the way everything about the band both image and sound-wise had been so carefully considered and was a complete package. And although Karl Hyde and Rick Smith went on to bigger things in the 90s many of the musical and production ideas that made Underworld stand out could be traced 10 years back to the records they made as Freur.

Interesting some of the Zappa albums mentioned here - with the exception of One Size Fits All none would even make my top 10. No love for Grand Wazoo, Zoot Allures, Hot Rats or Sleep Dirt? Although that was part of the beauty of the guy, a disparate set of of albums all linked by the man's genius.

As for my favourite ( and I will stick to just the one), I haven't made up my mind yet. ;)