Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1423854990' post='2689837']
Dark Side... turgid tosh - really?!
[/quote]

Well, coming from Bilbo, I'd say that's sounds like more of a compliment..! Don't get him stated on some of the jazz standards, though, or we'll be here all year..!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1423854990' post='2689837']
Dark Side... turgid tosh - really?!
[/quote]

Bores me rigid. Sorry. Not my fault. Liked The Wall and Ummagumma and quite liked Wish You Were Here but DSOTM? Piffle :lol:

(PS its an opinion. Just ignore it)

PPS there is a lot of turgid Jazz as well )half the ECM catalogue for a start!!)

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1423727958' post='2688260']
Not a huge fan of these. But recently listened to Script for a Jesters Tear by Marillion.
[/quote]
Would have been my choice too so I will go for Twelfth Night - Live and let live. Some great Shergold six string stuff.

Or failing that The Enid - In the region of the summer stars.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1423788210' post='2689170']
One from each decade that I have been interested in music:

From the 80s "Doot-Doot" by Freur. Although two of the band went on to bigger things in the 90s this is where all their ideas stemmed from. If you want a album that showcases every production trick for synth-based pop, this one has them all. Only has actual bass guitar on 2 of the tracks but of of them is the work of Pino Paladino. [/quote]

Hell. I forgot Freur. That was a great album. I have it somewhere on tape but would struggle for something to play it on.

Deeply personal stuff, I wouldn't knock anyone for liking what they do.
How do you pick just one, they all have merit for different reasons.
I'd have to go for the Double White, just for the diversity of the songs, eg, from Revolution No9 to Honey Pie to Obla Di, but it wouldn't be my favourite, but favourite isn't the question is it?

I've listened to at least part of the Eno/Budd albums Plateaux of Mirror and The Pearl every day since 1984! Despite being very sparse instrumentally, I'm still finding new things in there.
Otherwise, I'd suggest #1 Record by Big Star. Criminally ignored at the time, but massively influential all the same.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423812462' post='2689219']

I love CSN , particularly Stills, but I struggle with the track "teach your children" as David Crosby gave away his son, I know it was written by Nash.
[/quote]

And I've never quite recovered from seeing Rod, Jane and Freddy cover it on Rainbow one random lunchtime years ago!

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1423879598' post='2690110']
The The's Soul Mining.....played loud in a very dark room as per the instructions.
[/quote]

I used to go out, back in the dark ages, with a goth girl who loved that album, and would play it as the background of choice to.... Well, I am sure you can imagine. Hardly Luther Vandross or Sade, but it was either that or The Smiths - and Morrissey has never floated my boat I must say. Ahhhh..... Happy days.

She was as mad as cheese to by the way, but by turns exhilarating and exasperating to be around.

10 live albums everyone should hear:

Alive In America - Steely Dan
Waiting For Columbus - Little Feat
Rock Of Ages - The Band
Mo Hippa Live - Jon Cleary
Live - Delbert McClinton
Roadwork - Edgar Winter
Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Joe Cocker
Live In Europe - Otis Redding
Sessions At West 54th - Keb Mo
Live At The Regal - BB King

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1423868913' post='2690034']
Weren't Freur originally called a squiggly symbol? In that their name was simply a squiggly symbol, not an actual word/sound?

J.
[/quote]
That's right. I remember one of the music papers at the time referring to them as 'Elephant holding a Biscuit', or something similar.

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1423936913' post='2690624']
That's right. I remember one of the music papers at the time referring to them as 'Elephant holding a Biscuit', or something similar.
[/quote]

Glad I wasn't just hallucinating again!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1423922163' post='2690391']
That was Prince wasnt it?? :blink:
[/quote]

I think he did something similar a few years later, and was subsequently referred to as "The Artist Formerly Named After A Dog", or something.

J.