Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423752623' post='2688628']
I cant decide between two - which are both by the same artist : Neil Young

After the Gold Rush (1970) and Harvest (1972) are both stunning albums and I can also thoroughly recommend 'Live at Massey Hall' from 1971, which was only released officially a few years ago, and captures him between these two landmark albums, and playing what became classics for the first time live - Old Man' for example receives no recognition, but does warrant a nice back story introduction.

He's a fascinating artist of the sort we'll never see again,a s the industry would never support him now if he were just starting out - uncompromising, principled, experimental and a very gifted writer of intensely personal songs, but played in an idiosyncratic guitar style, which others struggle to emulate : 'ragged glory' encapsulates it beautifully.

Anyone who doesn't know his work should check him out. He has legions of long standing fans, including some high profile ones - Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher to name but two.
[/quote]

Two of my favourites!

One from each decade that I have been interested in music:

From the 70s "Parachute" by The Pretty Things. Not their best known album, but a more developed offering to their better known previous recording SF Sorrow. With Norman (Hurricane) Smith in the producer's seat and recorded at Abbey Road, one of the great overlooked albums.

From the 80s "Doot-Doot" by Freur. Although two of the band went on to bigger things in the 90s this is where all their ideas stemmed from. If you want a album that showcases every production trick for synth-based pop, this one has them all. Only has actual bass guitar on 2 of the tracks but of of them is the work of Pino Paladino.

From the 90s "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" by Mansun. A sort of concept album, but the concept doesn't get in the way of the fact that it's also a collection of catchy songs.

From the 2000s "Give Up" by The Postal Service. A collaboration that is far greater than the sum of it parts. Indie-pop meets glitchy electronica and produces a whole album of brilliant songs with off-beat sounds.

Nothing from the current decade because it's not finished yet!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1423766708' post='2688854']
Déjà Vu by Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Every track a winner.
[/quote]

I love CSN , particularly Stills, but I struggle with the track "teach your children" as David Crosby gave away his son, I know it was written by Nash.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1423788210' post='2689170']
From the 80s "Doot-Doot" by Freur. Although two of the band went on to bigger things in the 90s this is where all their ideas stemmed from. If you want a album that showcases every production trick for synth-based pop, this one has them all. Only has actual bass guitar on 2 of the tracks but of of them is the work of Pino Paladino.

From the 90s "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" by Mansun. A sort of concept album, but the concept doesn't get in the way of the fact that it's also a collection of catchy songs.
[/quote]

Great choices!

Edited by RhysP

The best thing about this thread is that it is prompting me to dig stuff out of my collection and play the records again. When you think of all the great music out there it's really hard to amke a call on one or two seminal works. So easy to pick something like Ziggy or Led Zep, but every post makes you think 'yeah that is pretty good too'.

Great thread, congrats to the OP.

Love these:
Visions of the Emerald beyond - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Wingful of Eyes - Gong
Babylon by Bus - Bob Marley
Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear
Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Chili Peppers
Live in Lousiville -Bootsy
Mothership Connection - Parliament
Pungent effulgent - Ozric Tentacles
Ultra Obscene - Breakbeat Era
A few useful tips about living underground - JTQ