Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

A couple of albums I first heard way back in the 70s, before I even knew what music was.

Queen: Sheer Heart Attack. Such an incredibly imaginative, colourful, genre (and gender) bending explosion of downright joyous music and performance.

The Who - Quadrophenia. My introduction to the concept album, and it doesn't get any better. A brilliantly nuanced, powerful and intelligent collection of interconnected compositions, audacious musicianship and more pure emotion & energy than many bands manage in a career.

There are a handful of albums from the past that for me don't bring some element of nostalgia with them - and these two still sound as fresh & immediate as the first time I heard them.

Jon.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1423772937' post='2688962']
Just too many to choose a favourite but one album I absolutely love from my teens is Disintegration by The Cure, perfection in every way.
[/quote]
That's another album I was listening to just a few nights ago. Some of the basslines are just so much fun to play. Fascination Street being a prime example. :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1423751645' post='2688612']
My choice would be 'Made in Japan' by Deep Purple. As good as a live album can be.
[/quote]
listened to this the other night and totally agree. This, like many of the albums from this era works so much better on vinyl IMO. The CD remaster just sounds sterile in comparison IMO

Edited by leroydiamond

Oi! NO. If you choose more than 1, then it's gonna take forever to get through the list!!! :P

Ok then, here's another from me that you really need to listen to.
When I started listening to each song, I thought "this is guff". But as with every single song on the album, at the end of each one I thought "that songwriting is pure genius!

So get your Deezer or Spotify opened & put on Talking Heads 77.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1423780430' post='2689070']
Oi! NO. If you choose more than 1, then it's gonna take forever to get through the list!!! :P

Ok then, here's another from me that you really need to listen to...
[/quote]

Well, actually I did start to go through the topic, listening, as one 'needs to', to each offering. I agree that there are some splendid pieces here but, by jingo, there's a fair spattering of tosh (technical term...) too..! No names, of course, but I am seriously amazed, and not a little concerned, that anyone, let alone a musician, still less a bassist, could thrive on some of this fodder. Luckily, the balance is rather to the good, but I'm surely not going to be able to listen to absolutely all of them.
Isn't there a nursery rhyme to similar effect..? "When they are good, they are very, very good, but when they are bad, they are rotten..!"

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1423766708' post='2688854']
Déjà Vu by Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Every track a winner.
[/quote][quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1423765896' post='2688843']
Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me.
[/quote]

Both great albums that I more or less wore out in the 70s.

Anybody mentioned Whos Next ? [s] Or Fog on the Tyne. [/s]

oops, Just realised you only get one - sorry.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423752623' post='2688628']
I cant decide between two - which are both by the same artist : Neil Young

After the Gold Rush (1970) and Harvest (1972) are both stunning albums and I can also thoroughly recommend 'Live at Massey Hall' from 1971, which was only released officially a few years ago, and captures him between these two landmark albums, and playing what became classics for the first time live - Old Man' for example receives no recognition, but does warrant a nice back story introduction.

He's a fascinating artist of the sort we'll never see again,a s the industry would never support him now if he were just starting out - uncompromising, principled, experimental and a very gifted writer of intensely personal songs, but played in an idiosyncratic guitar style, which others struggle to emulate : 'ragged glory' encapsulates it beautifully.

Anyone who doesn't know his work should check him out. He has legions of long standing fans, including some high profile ones - Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher to name but two.
[/quote]

I think Harvest has the edge there. Both albums are an aquired taste though, like good whisky or curry, people dont like it at first, then, if you havent slashed your wrists you get to love it. :D

That's the funny thing about music. Different people like different stuff.
As a musician, I try to listen to as wide a range of genres as possible.
I could easily have chosen something from Holst, Miles Davis, Jean Michel Jarre or Technotrax.

Some of you lot do like some crap, mind.

Only kidding, I couldn't resist. :)