Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

I haven't heard 90% of the above and will not be searching them out as I am an autodidact by nature and like to find my own way. It interests me that so many so called 'classics' are completely absent from the experiences of many of us. For instance, I only heard Dark Side of The Moon for the first time last year (or was it the year before that) and thought it a loud of turgid old tosh :lol:. Nevertheless, the LPS (yes, it is that far back) that I heard as a teenager that still find their way into my consciousness on a reasonably regular basis would be:

Greenslade - Time and Tide (1975) (one of the very few Rock LPs on my ipod)

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972) - I came to it later as I was only 9 then!! (not on the ipod)

Jon Anderson - Animation (1982) - on the ipod.

Honourable mentions to Seconds Out and the rest of the Yes catalogue

I did spend a lot of time with ELO as a 10-12 year old and Rush later on but lost interest a long time ago and don't even go there for nostalgia reasons.

Like most of us, I could come up with dozens... but I've been listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy recently and rediscovering just how good some/most of their material was/is.

Narrowing it down to one is just about impossible though - so I will suggest two from (IMO) their best period:

Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox

As well as the well-known rockier tracks there are some heart-achingly beautiful mid-tempo and slower songs on there too. Even from a bass-playing point of view (and Lynott is a far better player than he ever gets credit for) there are some great lines - often harder to play than you think!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1423744272' post='2688474']
A couple for me really.
Frank Sinatra 'Live at the Sands' with County Basie and his Orchestra, and Quincy Jones conducting.
Tower of Power 'Back to Oakland'.
[/quote]

That Sinatra album is fantastic, including the extended stand up routine mid set and the Basie orchestra are cooking - Quincy Jones arrangements I believe too, so a link to your second choice.

I cant decide between two - which are both by the same artist : Neil Young

After the Gold Rush (1970) and Harvest (1972) are both stunning albums and I can also thoroughly recommend 'Live at Massey Hall' from 1971, which was only released officially a few years ago, and captures him between these two landmark albums, and playing what became classics for the first time live - Old Man' for example receives no recognition, but does warrant a nice back story introduction.

He's a fascinating artist of the sort we'll never see again,a s the industry would never support him now if he were just starting out - uncompromising, principled, experimental and a very gifted writer of intensely personal songs, but played in an idiosyncratic guitar style, which others struggle to emulate : 'ragged glory' encapsulates it beautifully.

Anyone who doesn't know his work should check him out. He has legions of long standing fans, including some high profile ones - Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher to name but two.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1423758317' post='2688727']
I would have to go for Surrealistc Pillow - Jefferson Airplane.
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

First disk I ever bought; just struck lucky, really. I've bought it goodness knows how many times since, in all sorts of formats (worn out, lost...). My favourite version is still the UK running order, now no longer available, which starts with 'My Best Friend' (the drum taps as an intro..!). Certainly a 'Desert Island Disk'. Sublime.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423758829' post='2688733']

First disk I ever bought; just struck lucky, really. I've bought it goodness knows how many times since, in all sorts of formats (worn out, lost...). My favourite version is still the UK running order, now no longer available, which starts with 'My Best Friend' (the drum taps as an intro..!). Certainly a 'Desert Island Disk'. Sublime.
[/quote]I am a fairly late starter in the San-Francisco Bay sound. They screened Woodstock on one of the terrestrial channels about 15 years or so ago. I got into the music from that really. I like The Who, so watched it becuase they were on it. I liked Janis Joplin before i watched it, but started discovering more of her stuff, along with all the other bands that were on it. Although Surreal Pillow is not my all time favourite album, it captures that psychedelic hippy sound of the time perfectly. That is why i put it down as a classic that needs listening to, along with Them Kozmic Blues that was mentioned earlier. Off to listen to some QMS now :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423727310' post='2688255']
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

It is musical artistry and just has to be listened to from start to finish.
[/quote]

Definitely agree! It's not an album you can dip in and out of - it only works if you play all the way through in one sitting.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1423743170' post='2688448']
Massive Attack - Mezzanine. Rediscovered it again recently. It has a really brooding atmosphere. Great late night driving album.
[/quote]

Loved MA's early work i.e Blue Lines and Protection, but didn't get on with Mezzanine. Having said that,my favourite track on Mezzanine is 'Angel', if only for the absolutely massive amounts of sub-bass :)

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1423743953' post='2688464']
The one album that turned my young self away from pop music and opened up whole new vistas....I give you Tubular Bells!
[/quote]

Actually Tubular Bells II was the very first album I bought. Still think it's a seminal work

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1423745816' post='2688507']
Muse - Origin of Symmetry,
Possibly one of 3-4 albums I can listen to and enjoy every song for a different reason, and nothing feels 'filler'

Plus the bass playing is outstanding, if anyone can play newborn for 6 minutes without cramping up, they should be given a standing ovation.
[/quote]

TBH I think OoS is Muse's high-water mark. Can't say they've produced anything better - just listen to Citizen Erased/Microcuts on Symmetry and tell me I'm wrong.....hehehe

In that vein, my classic album is Stanley Road by Paul Weller. Absolutely fantastic bass playing by Damon Minchella and Yolanda Charles - 'You Do Something To Me' is the standout track (closely followed by 'Whirlpools' End')

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1423744806' post='2688486']
There is some great stuff being listed.

My contribution is The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

This was the first bit of Hendrix I ever listened to. As a kid I had heard he was meant to be a great guitarist and in the very early 80s I bought a second-hand album off a school mate of Axis + Are You Experienced? When I got it home I put Axis on first, and started listening to the opening track EXP. I remember thinking to myself what the hell have I bought. The first track of noise and feedback was then followed by Up From The Skies. The contrast was mind blowing. I wish I could un-listen to it all just to experience it again.
[/quote]

probably my favourite Hendrix album. .. If 6 was 9... perfection