Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1423733899' post='2688330']
Yes! Side 2 (in old money) is among his finest 17 minutes or so IMO. I just don't "get" No Not Now :-/
[/quote]

That's ok, I view side one as the antipasti for side two - but the tracks Drowning Witch / Envelopes - are very very fine indeed IMO. Listen to the whole thing regularly tho..

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1423695947' post='2688149']
I've been listening to Apollo in bed this past few months (falling asleep to it). Gonna give that album a turn.
[/quote]

Eno's largely mistaken for an ambient-only artist. His back catalog is full of great albums. Check out Before And After Science, Another Green World, Nerve Net, Another Day On Earth, Here Come The Warm Jets...

Lots of great Albums on here so far and a few I will have to check out.

For me it would have to be London calling.
Never got tired of listening to it since the day I picked it up in 1980.

Edit, funny I did wan to mention Exodus and Grin and bear it as well.

Edited by Highfox

Some really good suggestions so far. Nice to see the Dead and Carole King get a mention.
I'm going to go with Rickie Lee Jones eponymous debut album. Standout tracks for me would be Easy money and Last chance Texaco, Not forgetting Chuck E's in love. She's had some fine albums since but nothing quite up to this standard.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1423739676' post='2688405']
Eno's largely mistaken for an ambient-only artist. His back catalog is full of great albums. Check out Before And After Science, Another Green World, Nerve Net, Another Day On Earth, Here Come The Warm Jets...
[/quote]

And let's not forget Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy - the only album I own to feature a typewriter solo (courtesy of Robert Wyatt).

I hear your "script for a jesters tear" and raise you with "brave"

equally there have been loads raised that I'd forgotten about - before and after science and a walk across the rooftops although I prefer "hats" by the Blue Nile.

Two others that for me are "lost treasure" are Frampton comes alive! and "the seeds of love" Tears for fears.

There is some great stuff being listed.

My contribution is The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

This was the first bit of Hendrix I ever listened to. As a kid I had heard he was meant to be a great guitarist and in the very early 80s I bought a second-hand album off a school mate of Axis + Are You Experienced? When I got it home I put Axis on first, and started listening to the opening track EXP. I remember thinking to myself what the hell have I bought. The first track of noise and feedback was then followed by Up From The Skies. The contrast was mind blowing. I wish I could un-listen to it all just to experience it again.

Muse - Origin of Symmetry,
Possibly one of 3-4 albums I can listen to and enjoy every song for a different reason, and nothing feels 'filler'

Plus the bass playing is outstanding, if anyone can play newborn for 6 minutes without cramping up, they should be given a standing ovation.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1423734336' post='2688340']

That's ok, I view side one as the antipasti for side two - but the tracks Drowning Witch / Envelopes - are very very fine indeed IMO. Listen to the whole thing regularly tho..
[/quote]

I like it! I had it on earlier after I read your post. Cheers for that \m/

My three favourite Zappa bassists together on one album! (Well you know what I mean..)

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1423726626' post='2688246']
Close to the edge by Yes, the first album I ever bought (as a 14 year old) and I still think its great now, l would also suggest Seconds out by Genesis
[/quote]

Damn, I was going to nominate CTTE; so instead I will offer up Elton John and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Another album that I'd term as a 'classic', and would definitely merit a (re)visit, is Aladdin Sane by David Bowie.

Remember buying it as a kid from Boots (yep, they stocked records once upon a time) in Coventry and played it to death. Still sounds incredible today - and the lyrics make a bit more sense today then they did back then to a young kid!

Bjork - Homogenic. Always pops into the forefront of my mind when faced with the classic album question. Stunning piece of work.

Ref an earlier post, I listened Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient works for the first time last week too. I really like it.

Edited by Wil