Why become a member? ×

Classic albums that you need to listen to.

xgsjx

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1423727958' post='2688260']
...recently listened to Script for a Jesters Tear by Marillion.
[/quote]

I was going to suggest this, (cos it's still brilliant), so I'm going to go with ABBA's [i]Arrival [/i]instead. Magnificent songwriting.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423727310' post='2688255']
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

It is musical artistry and just has to be listened to from start to finish.
[/quote]

Completely agree. Lots of esoteric choices so far, and a lot of new names to me I'm playlisting. But sometimes the albums that need revisiting are the big ones hiding in plain sight.

Recent road trip to Michael Jackson - Thriller in its entirety, a masterclass in songwriting and production (and a stack of great basslines). Like DSOM or Sgt Pepper, worth reminding yourself why it is legendary.

Bob Marley Exodus - probably more associated with hit singles but for me this really works in album form (and hate to say it as a lover of vinyl, actually works even better on CD with no interruption being turned over)!

Edited by Mykesbass

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Absolute classic rock opera with Eddie Jacksons amazing bass sound (turned me on to the whole Spector/Sansamp grind along with Dirt by Alice in Chains....)
I think I played it every day for a year and then they followed it up with Empire which was also awesome.

Standout tracks for me are -

Suite Sister Mary - just lush...
Spreading the Disease - for the sneaky little playing outside the box lead run in the solo
Breaking the Silence - that bass sound!
I Don't Believe in Love - that bass sound again and the tortured vocals
Eyes of a Stranger - great closing track

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1423726626' post='2688246']
Close to the edge by Yes, the first album I ever bought (as a 14 year old) and I still think its great now, l would also suggest Seconds out by Genesis
[/quote]

We did the first family holiday with my mates family, hired a cottage in Angelsey, hired a minibus, 4 adults, 4 kids, 2 Irish Wolfhounds, Labradore, a Yorkie (dog) and an ounce of some herbal mayhem, this was about '72. I borrowed a portable cassette player from work and "Close to the Edge", just the one tape, only. Played it to death. To this day my 'Ex Wife (now) cannot stand it or them. Incidentally Jon Anderson ( a twin) used to be in a band called the Warriors with his brother and played the Cavern on a regular basis.

I still have the Album in Vinyl, I need to resurrect my vinyl now, see what you've started as if GAS wasn't enough ;)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423727871' post='2688259']
A Wizard, a True Star - Todd Rundgren
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Brian Eno & David Byrne
[/quote]

Oh yes. Although I could only have one Todd album it would be "Todd"

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1423730181' post='2688290']
Ship arriving too late to save a drowing Witch - Frank Zappa
[/quote]

Yes! Side 2 (in old money) is among his finest 17 minutes or so IMO. I just don't "get" No Not Now :-/