Why become a member? ×

Why did I ever agree to that

Nicko

So I was thinking about songs I'd played. I was in one band who's set list included:

Cant Get You Outta my Head - Kylie
Lyin Eyes - The Eagles

The band included Brits, Yanks, a Jap, a Phillipino and a Russian and the audience was even more diverse and seemed to enjoy this rubbish. God I hated playing those songs.

Anyone got any similar skeletons in the closet?

Lyin' Eyes is a great song!

I'm doing a dep this weekend with a band that has 30 songs in the set - including, amongst others:
[list]
[*]Rock Around the Clock
[*]Mr. Brightside
[*]Livin' on a Prayer
[*]Wonderful Tonght
[*]That horrible Sexy Fire song
[*]Hey Brother (by some Swedish DJ. never heard it before now)
[/list]
Schitzophrenic? Yep.

At least it won't get boring.

In a previous band, I have also been subjected to Can't Get You Outta my Head. It seemed like a good idea at the time, unlike Brown Eyed Girl which we also did. Brown Eyed bloody Girl. If ever there was a 'stage, open up' song for me, it's bloody Brown feckin Eyed bleedin Girl.
Some members of the same band also wanted to do 'Dance The Night Away', that dreadful 2-chord Mavericks dirge. I drew the line at this, and told them that I would simply refuse to play it. They started playing it at a rehearsal, so I took off my bass and sat down, and they played it [i]sans[/i] bottom end. "Yeah, but you wouldn't do that at a gig" they said. "Try me" I replied. They didn't.
I left shortly afterwards, so I have no idea if they ever gigged it.
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1423657972' post='2687483']
Lyin' Eyes is a great song!
[/quote]
Agreed! The older I get, the more I like and appreciate Eagles' stuff. Apart from Hotel Calif, which has been done to death.

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423656142' post='2687447']
Lyin Eyes - The Eagles
[/quote]

First song is a crowd pleaser in the right setting and the second , if you can nail it vocally it is a beautiful song

I don't like having to play 500 miles , daydream believer , that kind of stuff but will do so if we are being paid to do so (as long as I love 3/4 of the set I consider myself lucky to be gigging and having fun)

It's godawful all right, but the title of Worst Song Ever Recorded will always go to Macarthur Park. [i]Any[/i] version of Macarthur Park, but especially Donna Summer's and Richard Harris'. Yes I know it's a Jimmy Webb song, but we all have off-days and my god he was having a real baddie when he penned that excreble bilgewater.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1423658873' post='2687506']
we were recently asked for a special request at a wedding

rita coolidge - all time high

got to be a serious contender for worst song ever recorded
[/quote]

You're right. Kinda puts mine into context.

Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
One Way or Another - Blondie
I Love Rock n Roll - I Dont even know who by I just know its cheesy as hell.

We entertained these a for a while before a couple of us just refused to carry on playing nicey haha.

One of the members of the band seem to like suggesting songs from 'Dads Rock 100' type CDs you see on fathers day or the playlist from a karaoke machine.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1423659411' post='2687519']
It's godawful all right, but the title of Worst Song Ever Recorded will always go to Macarthur Park. [i]Any[/i] version of Macarthur Park, but especially Donna Summer's and Richard Harris'. Yes I know it's a Jimmy Webb song, but we all have off-days and my god he was having a real baddie when he penned that excreble bilgewater.
[/quote]

That song does my head in. What kind of a crazy person leaves a cake out in the rain. And what kind of person gets rid of a recipe when they don't know if they like it or not. Irritates me like anything, but from a cookery perspective :P

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423656142' post='2687447']
So I was thinking about songs I'd played. I was in one band who's set list included:

Lyin Eyes - The Eagles

The band included Brits, Yanks, a Jap, a Phillipino and a Russian and the audience was even more diverse and seemed to enjoy this rubbish. God I hated playing those songs.

Anyone got any similar skeletons in the closet?
[/quote]

God, what on earth were you thinking trying to please an audience. Its really not the done thing on here ;-)

I was in a covers band once that played what I think are complete rotters...

Cant Get You Outta my Head
Rock dj
Life is a roller coaster
Livin la vida loca

Even though I hated them, it paid the bills for a while. I drew the line at hero by that Iglesias fella. I remember a big stand off between myself and the singer because I refused to play it, stubborn as singers are, he went on to do it solo with a keyboard. Rotten veg was thrown.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1423658602' post='2687500']
Some members of the same band also wanted to do 'Dance The Night Away', that dreadful 2-chord Mavericks dirge.
[/quote]

That really is a godawful turd of a song.

Brown eyed girl is f***ing terrible too.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423669572' post='2687729']
That really is a godawful turd of a song.

Brown eyed girl is f***ing terrible too.
[/quote]

I love those two songs. They are great songs to listen to and play.
They always get the audience up and dancing (which is what we get paid to do after all).

'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Stuck in the Middle with You'. Not necessarily because they're 'bad' songs but simply because they have been in the set of one of my bands for - I swear to God this is true - over 10 f**king years!! I'd happily never hear either of them again for as long as I live.

When I first joined my current combo, Brown Eyed Girl was a staple, the vocals / guitarist had even developed a little hip swinging dance to accentuate the happy go lucky feel of the song.

We no longer play it and to this day, if i see him perform that 'dance' while we're playing a song, its usually the last time it gets included in the set.

He's far better if he concentrates.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1423670790' post='2687756']
When I first joined my current combo, Brown Eyed Girl was a staple, the vocals / guitarist had even developed a little hip swinging dance to accentuate the happy go lucky feel of the song.

We no longer play it and to this day, if i see him perform that 'dance' while we're playing a song, its usually the last time it gets included in the set.

He's far better if he concentrates.
[/quote]

do you have video footage ? :ph34r: :lol: