Why become a member? ×

Dilemma!

bong69

Hello everyone, used a Henry 8x8 for the last year and loved it but my back didn't etc....Nice bloke on here bought it as he was searching for one. Having played bass for 30 years I have no idea when it comes to amps haha, so I picked up a Markbass 4x10 locally at a good price, only thing is its 8ohm (I shoulda looked!) so scrappy research has given me the following options

Get a LittleMark 800 and get 500w outta the cab
Get a CMD 121H get the 500w using 4x10 as an extension, use the combo alone for smaller gigs
Buy the Ampeg Svt7 1000w (which was originally paired to the 4x10)
Sell up and start again!

Anyone tell me how the CMD is for pub gigs etc? Just cant get me head round a single 12 sounding big! (Stuck in the 80's I guess)

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated

Depends what sort of music you're playing.

I've gigged with my Markbass 1x12 combo with drums & guitar & it handled it easily with power to spare.
One of the other bands that played used it too - they were louder than us (punk/pop stuff) but the Markbass was fine, could be heard easily over the other instruments.

If you're playing in a band with two guitarists both using Marshall stacks & a heavy handed drummer I would think it's going to struggle without an extension cab though..

I did have it raised up on a combo stand which really seemed to help get the sound across.

The CMD is a great amp, fine for pub gigs, paired with a matching cab is an awesome set-up.

But the 4x10 with a Markbass head is also very good - I had the Little Mark Tube 500 (so only getting 300 or so watts) paired with the Markbass 410, never needed the volume on more than 3 or 4 for my old punk covers band. You`ll probably never need anymore volume than that but having the 800 watt head does give you more to play with.

[quote name='bong69' timestamp='1423567508' post='2686328']
Hello everyone, used a Henry 8x8 for the last year and loved it but my back didn't etc....Nice bloke on here bought it as he was searching for one. Having played bass for 30 years I have no idea when it comes to amps haha, so I picked up a Markbass 4x10 locally at a good price, only thing is its 8ohm (I shoulda looked!) so scrappy research has given me the following options

Get a LittleMark 800 and get 500w outta the cab
Get a CMD 121H get the 500w using 4x10 as an extension, use the combo alone for smaller gigs
Buy the Ampeg Svt7 1000w (which was originally paired to the 4x10)
Sell up and start again!

Anyone tell me how the CMD is for pub gigs etc? Just cant get me head round a single 12 sounding big! (Stuck in the 80's I guess)

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated
[/quote]

Well, it doesn't sound big but it might provide enough volume for certain gigs. To match that combo up with a 410
is going to have a lot of volume potentially on tap and the 112 is going to get unbalanced by the volume spread.
The 12 will be getting pushed hard and the 410 will be coasting... You could of course, unplug the 12 and run the combo
amp into the 410 but a kind of pointless carry, IMO

If you find the 410 a breeze to move around just add a 500w amp and you'll be getting 300w or so if pushing to the limit..
which I doubt the amp could do and you'll not to anyway..

Do you like the sound of the 410..?? if not scrap the idea and start again.

The compromise popular option these days is 500w head into 2x112 8 ohms cabs
but this is also the most expensive.
I'll save you a LOT of time and research...set aside £1500 and get a TH500 and 2xTKSs112's
as your lightweight carry option that packs a punch

Thanks for the replies, lots to ponder! The 4x10 is half the weight of the 8x8 so thats great but now I'm thinking smaller, the idea of 2 1x12s is very appealing, i'm quite poor tho so will have to buy used, will scour the classifieds, I just didn't realise smaller/less power could be as good!

I use a Markbass 210 combo
That sounds a lot bigger than it is
As an extension, for larger cabs,
I use an additional cab - a Phil Jones 4x5

I know some would say 5" speakers and even 10" speakers can never sound truly "big"
But honestly, they can, or at least are ample for the biggest of pubs or clubs

I played open air, without going through the PA at a large park, a little while back
The sound guys had to ask me to turn down!!

You could try using your cab with a 1x12 combo, or a 2x10 combo to give you 500W
Plenty of people on here seem to use a 1x12 combo and 1x 12 extension
and seem perfectly happy with it

I used to play in the 80's too
So I know where you're coming from

let us know what you opt for
.... and look after that back ;)

Remember that "500 watts" (even if accurate) is a measure of the maximum power output of an amplifier, or power handling capability of a cabinet. It is not a measure of volume! Volume is affected by many variables...

Many of us use 500W amps now as it has become a kind of industry standard - but how many of us ever need the full power of that amp? I have never got anywhere near that, even into a single 8 ohm cab.

Even through one decent 8 ohm cabinet (and stated impedance is an estimate of the true picture too!) a 500W amp should be as loud as most people will ever need.

I like the thought of a rig you can vary
I'm in a few bands / combos, and also play DB
or double up (on BG & DB) so I need flexibility

A Markbass combo will give you 350W on its' own
and 500W when you use an 8 ohm extension

Conan is quite right too, of course the amount of Watts doesn't necessarily indicate how loud a rig is
But most modern, decent gear is pretty loud for its size these days
My Markbass 210 certainly is, and with an extension cab..... whew

I used to use a heavy old Traynor valve head, a big, very heavy 2x15 and a 4x12
This wasn't as loud as my 210 combo on its' own :o

I got away with an ABM 2x10 combo for years, left the 1x15 what came with it in me mates garage! My problem is money (aint it always) at the moment I have the 4x10, an eden 400w head and a couple of hundered quid. The thought of smaller is really interesting me, plus the added bonus of it fitting in my mates small car = finally able to have a couple of pints at a gig haha, again thanks for all the comments, some really great suggestions/food for thought

Many moons ago we at Barefaced (well I say 'we', it was just me back then!) sent out our first model, the Compact, for a load of basschatters to take turns trying out. We learnt a lot from that and I think people enjoyed gigging it. I'm now wondering if there'd be some interest in us doing that with the new TWO10? We've been almost shocked at what it can do - I know the engineering behind it says that it should be able to match many 4x10"s for output but actually hearing it get that loud is another matter.

I'd be interested to hear how it works with lots of different players and different amps because the 4 ohm version does seem to get an improbable output from a small and relatively inexpensive cab.

Wow! As a 'gearophobe' even I have heard good stuff about Barefaced, only thing is we only have two bookings in the near future (feb 27th and 28th) although quite diverse, one a street food festival which is more or less outdoors and the other a cosy pub gig, perhaps with this in mind someone else can take the first slot and mebbies I could jump in line? Very honoured thank you Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1423577682' post='2686537']
Many moons ago we at Barefaced (well I say 'we', it was just me back then!) sent out our first model, the Compact, for a load of basschatters to take turns trying out. We learnt a lot from that and I think people enjoyed gigging it. I'm now wondering if there'd be some interest in us doing that with the new TWO10? We've been almost shocked at what it can do - I know the engineering behind it says that it should be able to match many 4x10"s for output but actually hearing it get that loud is another matter.

I'd be interested to hear how it works with lots of different players and different amps because the 4 ohm version does seem to get an improbable output from a small and relatively inexpensive cab.
[/quote]

On your second point Alex - this is precisely why my girlfriend and I have ordered a 4 ohm version from you, as although I don't play massively loud (I try and go through a PA as much as I can alongside an amp to spread the sound) I am a headroom freak - it just feels better to me :) Having played at least 100+ gigs with my trusty Compact, I'm extremely excited at the prospect of having both at our disposal!