Why become a member? ×

SOLD!
£1700

Rabbie

Price reduced to £1500
I have never been one for getting attached to instruments: they are tools to do a job. However, I did allow myself to get attached to this one, within reason of course, I never cuddled into it in bed...
My custom made DUKE double bass, a.k.a the best roots music bass to roam the earth (IMHO)!
I am at a time in my musical career where my needs have evolved and I really need a carved bass, which I need to purchase.
I also need a touring bass, but my Chadwick folding bass is absolutely perfect for those purposes.
My Duke bass is a true joy, but I need to free the space at home, and use the money of its sale, to go towards my carved purchase.

There's nothing I can say about this bass that I haven't already boasted about in one of these forums: it is a fantastic plywood and you can use it to boom, swing and slap your way throughout the great American songbook, as well as every kind of rockabilly, bluegrass or folk you may ever be involved with. It is dark, bassy, very loud and especially a joy to play, thanks in part to the excellent set up I have had carried out.
In the last couple of years I have been such an enthusiastic endorser of the Duke that I have probably convinced a few people to order one. I will indeed continue to promote Thomas's work, he makes a spot-on plywood bass.

This Duke is a lovely matte chocolate colour, special laminating technique resembling the way carved basses are carved at the top, Rubner machine heads, ebony fingerboard, brand new maple bridge with very expensive adjusters you can operate without loosening the string tension, custom wooden walnut endpin done by Ben Bastin, all gut setup with Dluglolecki wound gut E (mega expensive!), Lenzner wound gut A, Lenzner raw gut D and G. Comes with soft carry case in excellent condition. The bass is in perfect nick.
Every single professional player who has put their hands on it has been amazed by the sound of this bass. To call it a ply is to state the truth, but it is a disservice to how great it sounds.
Given the work I carried out and the conditions of the bass, the price of £1500 is fair and trades are not accepted sorry. By all means if you are after a custom pay job, import a new one from Thomann, but here all the expensive luthier work has been done for you and it is ready to make an awesome sound.

Edited by Rabbie

I have always admired this bass Rabbie - the chocolate matte finish is gorgeous and I have no doubt it plays and sounds fantastically! If DBs could be slung in a cardboard box and posted through Interparcel for £20, like electric basses, it would be very dangerous for many of us on BC :-)

Hi fellow Basschatters,
There have been a lot of enquiries and interest in this bass in the last couple of days, but one issue is common to every single person: you all seem to live in England and the Middle of Scotland is a tad too far to travel.
Here's what I think:
1 - a good bass is worth a trip as you know, but...
2 - I realise it's a long trip for some so please, drop me a PM, explain your situation. You'd be surprised how much can be achieved with a bit of flexibility and negotiation on both parts.
Of course I want to sell the bass, but I do want it to go to a good home and a happy bassist too, and I think I need to be approachable and flexible to achieve that.
PS - still no trades though.... Have a great weekend everyone.

Forgot to mention: the Duke is currently set up for gut strings so I have had a bridge cut with action around 9mm on the G side. However I have a second bridge which makes the bass go down to a high tension steel strings setup which I used on some recordings a couple of years ago, and let the action go much lower. The second bridge also has quality adjusters and is of course included in the sale.

Ok call it £1500 and that's a big bargain. Basically all the upgrades and added benefits come free, and some. Chance to further negotiate on the price are now much slimmer, sorry.

Edited by Rabbie