Why become a member? ×

Kanye West

UglyDog

TBH I kind of respect someone who is willing to speak out rather than grumble in private - makes showbiz a bit more interesting anyway :-D
He obviously feels passionately about it, but I disagree hugely. I see Beck as a visionary, an artist with enourmous creativity. Yes Beyoncé is talented, but I don't see a smidgen of Beck's originality in her.

Edited by Roland Rock

Oh yes, he obviously feels passionately, but to suggest that Beyonce and his royal self (oh sorry, it's "Ye" isn't it? [i]*barf* [/i]) are the only 'real artists' deserving of the award, while Beck is neither 'real' nor deserving? Seriously?
Stratospheric arrogance.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1423486455' post='2685306']
Stratospheric arrogance.
[/quote]

He's entitled to his opinion, but mostly ^ ^ ^ this. To suggest that one artist give away his award (for what they're worth...) to another just on [i]his [/i]say-so is laughable. Why doesn't KW just run the whole thing then he can give all the awards to his buddies. ;)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423491900' post='2685431']
Beck is infinitely more original than Beyonce. I'm not sure the Grammys are too concerned with originality though?
[/quote]

Not sure originality is high on my want-list for likeable music. I think originality is highly overrated.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1423492632' post='2685439']
But Beyonce doesn't even write, being a great performer doesn't make you a great artist.
[/quote]

I know. She is a fabulous performer and vocalist. She has a big ol production team because she's an industry. Beck is my type of musician, and he's a great performer too. Never ben that keen on what he does though. But then I detest the Beatles and the Stones, don't like the Beach Boys either ..

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1423492785' post='2685442']
Yeah, that whole originality thing has been done to death!
[/quote]

As a writer you have have to be honest with yourself. Some folks try too hard to be original. You can be highly original and still be meaningless sh*te, you know :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423492431' post='2685437']
Not sure originality is high on my want-list for likeable music. I think originality is highly overrated.
[/quote]

Although I'm sure you're right in terms of "likeable music", I personally love it when I'm surprised by something new, and I always strive to be at least a little weird when I'm writing music

Anyway, I wasn't commenting on whether Beyonce or Beck deserved the award. God knows what criteria the judges use

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423493351' post='2685453']

Although I'm sure you're right in terms of "likeable music", I personally love it when I'm surprised by something new, and I always strive to be at least a little weird when I'm writing music

Anyway, I wasn't commenting on whether Beyonce or Beck deserved the award. God knows what criteria the judges use
[/quote]

So am I Ched, but how do you know it's 'new'? It's only new to [i]you[/i], right?

Like when paul h posted that Tokyo Jihen video a few years ago, it blew me away, never heard anything like it. Then you start looking at Japanese pop music and there are tons of bands doing that scene.

It's bizarre - and patronising to Beyonce.
And are artists really bothered about awards? FFS even that free U2 album was nominated - there's not much integrity in the voting.

If nothing else, the Kayne tantrum has made me check out Beck's album today.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423493526' post='2685456']
So am I Ched, but how do you know it's 'new'? It's only new to [i]you[/i], right?...
[/quote]

Yeh... define "original". I don't really want to get into that debate. I got into quite a few debates about Jean Baudrillard and simulacra and all that bollocks with my bands mates. I find it incredibly frustrating and cannot accept the notion that no art will ever be "original".

Not that it's not a valid debate, just I'm so tired of it!

My personal approach is to try and write what I "feel" or what's in my imagination. Then if it turns out to be a fairly straight up rock/pop song I get rid. If it turns out to be a bit weird I play it to my girlfriend and she says "It sounds like martin grech but heavier", which is a great compliment (to me) but obviously compares it to someone else... Arrgh!!!

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423495628' post='2685484']
Yeh... define "original". I don't really want to get into that debate. I got into quite a few debates about Jean Baudrillard and simulacra and all that bollocks with my bands mates. I find it incredibly frustrating and cannot accept the notion that no art will ever be "original".

Not that it's not a valid debate, just I'm so tired of it!

My personal approach is to try and write what I "feel" or what's in my imagination. Then if it turns out to be a fairly straight up rock/pop song I get rid. If it turns out to be a bit weird I play it to my girlfriend and she says "It sounds like martin grech but heavier", which is a great compliment (to me) but obviously compares it to someone else... Arrgh!!!
[/quote]

Yep :)

I just read Steve Jenkin's (American bassist, check him out), post on Facebook, this is what he said "[color=#141823][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hearing Kanye West talk about artistry is like listening to Mitt Romney talk about poor folks".[/font][/color]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1423496123' post='2685494']
I just read Steve Jenkin's (American bassist, check him out), post on Facebook, this is what he said "[color=#141823]Hearing Kanye West talk about artistry is like listening to Mitt Romney talk about poor folks".[/color]
[/quote]

:D

Beyoncé has her place and yes, she is a great performer, but Beck, whatever you think of his music, is an all round musician, singer, performer, if you like. He writes and performs his own material, which in my book, makes you infinitely more talented and eligible for awards than someone who sings other people's songs.
Not knocking old Beyoncé , who can fair chant when she wants and can also bust a few very shapely moves, but in my mind there's no contest. Maybe I'm biased as I tend to look to the musicians side of things.
Whatever the result, I think Kanye has just made himself look even more of a dick than he was previously!

Kanye West reckons he's sticking it to the "white establishment" and standing up for poverty stricken black folks. He's doing it by promoting his good friend Beyonce as artistically superior to Beck. Beyonce being a multimillionaire karaoke singer who has her songs written by recognised plagiarists (Timbaland for instance). Irony much?