Why become a member? ×

First Tour - Advice?

charic

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1423484053' post='2685244']
Buy a copy of the dirt by Mötley Crüe , and copy what they used to do
[/quote]

That`s a recipe for much ill-health. I think The Crue are all inhuman, no ordinary mortals could handle their (back then) lifestyles.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423490015' post='2685394']
That`s a recipe for much ill-health. I think The Crue are all inhuman, no ordinary mortals could handle their (back then) lifestyles.
[/quote]

I which case I shall follow the example set in Ozzys Auto Biography :lol:

1) If you have shared hotel rooms always agree on a time to be up and moving; allowing for food + stopping for toilet breaks.
2) with regard to toilet breaks on the road, don't get sucked in to buying things at motorway services, it's twice as expensive as stopping at a big supermarket; which a quick google will be nearby the motorway on your way out / in a city.
3) Be on time with the day sheets for the tour, don't be early for 2 reasons; the headline band may still be loading in and you'll get in their way, and also you'll probably be waiting around for an hour for your set up and soundcheck even if your 30 minutes late!
4) have at least one member of your band go over to the merch stand as soon as you finish your set, and have someone take their stuff off stage (even if you are taking a merch person with you) to flog your gear, if you go down well people want to meet the band afterwards, this is the best time to sell things and make money!
5) Don't use gear that you're not 100% sure on, as if it could go wrong, at some point it will!
6) If you're using wireless systems, keep those batteries fresh and charged!
7) Make sure you send Tech Specs and Riders to each venues, stating who you are touring with. (Don't be over demanding on Riders as the promoters will only give you water if they think you're taking the piss)

Never forget where your towel is...

and take a book, actually a couple of books. Squeeze in some exercise everyday and eat as well as you can. 5 days of junk food and debauchery sounds like fun, and it is, but you're also asking your body to do things that it's never done before, at least in the quantities that you need it to.

Like any other piece of your equipment, look after it.

Rest well too.

Enjoy the ride Charic.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423478131' post='2685125']
Ah well, if it's only 5 days you should be OK.
In that case, just take ten pairs of new M&S Y-Fronts and a 40-pack of 50mg Tramadol and you'll be fine.
[/quote]

I've done 6-7 nights in a row. I didn't know I was on tour.

Blue

My one and only big tour was as a classical musician.... 18 days, 2 rest days, sometimes 2 gigs a day in venues between 2000 seater and 5000 seater, school visits, media following us, overnight sleeper trains, some sightseeing (but not much), live TV performance to an estimated 30 million people. Through China, aged 15, in 1989 (giving away my age now :P).

Back in the day where there was no mobile phones and we had to arrange in advance a telephone call back to Wales so our parents knew we were OK!!

This is where my earlier story about the restaurant comes from!! It was my introduction to sake!

This tour was by far one of the best experiences of my life and I am godmother to my "roomies" children and godmother to another of the girls children and am in touch still with most of the gang!!

Couldn't do it now though :lol:

I rather like gigging on Saturday nights exclusively once or twice a month. Any more than that and I'd keel over with my full time job :lol:

That said to set up the full show does take around 4 hours!! And around 2 hours to take down again!! Back in 1989 I was a little diva that just opened up her Oboe case and got ready to play, 5 mins max!!

Edited by SpaceChick

I've only ever done a maximum of 3 days, usually sleeping in a van without facilities. All the major points above are correct - take any and all opportunities to go to the loo in comfort, get a wash, eat some healthy food, sleep as much as you can, rehydrate when you can etc etc. Take loo roll/pillow/baby wipes etc etc.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423561644' post='2686232']
My one and only big tour was as a classical musician.... 18 days, 2 rest days, sometimes 2 gigs a day in venues between 2000 seater and 5000 seater, school visits, media following us, overnight sleeper trains, some sightseeing (but not much), live TV performance to an estimated 30 million people. Through China, aged 15, in 1989 (giving away my age now :P).

Back in the day where there was no mobile phones and we had to arrange in advance a telephone call back to Wales so our parents knew we were OK!!

This is where my earlier story about the restaurant comes from!! It was my introduction to sake!

This tour was by far one of the best experiences of my life and I am godmother to my "roomies" children and godmother to another of the girls children and am in touch still with most of the gang!!

Couldn't do it now though :lol:

I rather like gigging on Saturday nights exclusively once or twice a month. Any more than that and I'd keel over with my full time job :lol:

That said to set up the full show does take around 4 hours!! And around 2 hours to take down again!! Back in 1989 I was a little diva that just opened up her Oboe case and got ready to play, 5 mins max!!
[/quote]

What orchestra were you in - National Youth Orchestra of Wales? I was in that! Around the same sort of time too though I didn't get to go on the China tour.
However, I did get to tour Holland with the wind band and ended up buying a very fetching leather cap from a lovely shop on Valkenburg... :blink: :blush:

Take a warm blanket and (as others have said) a pillow. I even have a special blanket with sleeves in that I bought at a motorway services years ago. That way you can catch up on any lost sleep while you're on the bus. Drink plenty of water, about 2 litres a day, and try to avoid greasy food as much as possible. If you can't get a healthy cooked meal provided, then reasonable fast food is a kebab (shish not doner) without onion or sauce, and ask if they have rice - if there's a Greek or Turkish community in the area they often sell rice even if it's not on the menu.

A useful little thing I took was a spare wash bag filled with a spare set of bass and guitar strings, Allen keys, precision screwdriver set, wire cutters, toothpicks & strap button screws, Polish and cloth. Took up minimal space and was an absolute lifesaver on the road.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1423564713' post='2686283']

What orchestra were you in - National Youth Orchestra of Wales? I was in that! Around the same sort of time too though I didn't get to go on the China tour.
However, I did get to tour Holland with the wind band and ended up buying a very fetching leather cap from a lovely shop on Valkenburg... :blink: :blush:
[/quote]

I was in the National Youth Orchestra of Wales. However, the China trip wasn't with them, it was a West Glam group. It meant I missed the Nat tour of Edinburgh though (I know what was better ;) )

What wind instrument did you play Chay? I remember a curly haired funny lad on the bassoon... That wasn't you was it?

Ha no I was a French horn player, although I did play string bass with West Glam when I first moved to Neath in 1992.
Sight reading! Stravinsky! In a competition! Could never do that now. :(

Actually maybe not Stravinsky but someone Russian anyway

Edited by chaypup