Why become a member? ×

Do smaller cabinets really work as well as their large cousins?

BigAlonBass

So - I'm getting on a bit, and am starting to really 'feel' the weight of my 4x10" / 1x15" stack.
Naturally, I'd like to buy some Cabs that are both smaller and lighter, but I play in a full-on Rock Band, and just wonder if the smaller stuff does the business?
When I set up and play, the speakers really 'punch' me in the back, and most times, I don't have to go through the PA, as they're powerful enough to fill in the gaps by themselves. ('Rock Trio' with Vocalist/Frontman) Fans of the Band say they love the sound I get, and the lads on stage with me always have smiles on their faces when I dig in a bit, so I'm wondering if smaller gear would compromise any of the above?
Just as an aside, it's no use telling me or the Band to turn down, as I'm nearly Deaf, not, I might add, from volume, but other Medical issues, and I can only hear loud music. Which is why I joined in the first place - apart from them asking me, they were the only Band I could flipping hear!
Help please, because I can't afford a Roadie!

Just bought a TC RS210 cab (poss a 2nd incoming) and I have to say it has blown me away... quite literally! A pair stacked vertically will win the laws of physics competition but more importantly the drivers are at the same height as an old fashioned stack. You know where I am if you want to give a blast and in the process save your back and knuckles. ;)

I run 2 x Baer ML112 , 16.5 kg each, or just the one in a pub. Usually I 'lend it out' to whoever we are playing with, and it cuts through beautifully. So certainly worth trying a Baer or similar that stresses the mids, e.g. a Fearful/Fearless, Bergantino, etc.

My Barefaced Super 12T (2x12) was enough on its own to easily fill out the venue we played on Friday - much more so when another band used it as well as their bassists bass must have had hotter pickups than mine. Weighs in at 40lbs. I could feel the bass thumping in my chest when they were playing.

And I`ve got two of them, the 2nd for extra big venues though I have to admit much of this is for the visuals as the sound. But lifting the S12T is a doddle, and the wheels are great as well.

I used an Ampeg SVT setup (810) just before Xmas and whilst it was great, I didn`t find it that much better than my single S12T - not used the two S12Ts together yet but I`m fairly confident I`d prefer those to the 810.

I play in a rock band myself and i have two 2x10 cabs also a 1x15. In pubs one 2x10 is really loud enough and there is headroom left if i want more. I rarely use both 2x10's unless we play festivals and never used the 1x15. I use a RH450 amp which i can use all 3 cabs if i so wish (this amp can go down to 2ohms using all 3 cabs) but i never had the need for them all. I too bought light weight gear as to save my back a bit as i was using trace elliot gear before and that was damn heavy! If anything i have a better sound now than i did with the Trace Elliot gear and it saves my back from a hell of a lot of lifting heavy gear. Best move i made.

Some of it has to do with the drivers ( magnets) used on the speakers. I'm not sure it's always cab or speaker dimensions. Small club or big stage my GK RBX cabs seem to give me what I want to hear and feel.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1423441901' post='2684914']
Whatever the size of cabinet you choose, given your medical circumstances, I would definitely invest in a very good "in-ear-monitor" system.
[/quote]
This. And those with "insanely loud" drummers, will be at serious risk also.
Good luck!

Another yes here! Went from Warwick 1x15 with either a 4x10 or 2x10 depending on gig, to my current rig of either a GB Shuttle 9.2 or my TC RH750 paired with a Barefaced Big Twin 2. I'm currently playing in a rock band with 3 guitars and have absolutely no issues with being heard!! 😊

Another convert here
I used to use a 4x12, valve head and a 1x15
I now use several combinations (depending on what band I'm with)

I've got a Markbass 210 combo, and a Phil Jones 4x5
Or I use the PJ cab with a PJ valve head

The Markbass alone gives me 350W, and it's a great, well-defined sound
Coupled with the PJ cab I get 500W, and find it's useful to sometimes be able to split the speaker positions...

I can't believe how lightweight the Markbass stuff is, and how loud it sounds

I too am of a "certain age" and don't think I'd ever gig again,
if all I had was the option of the old gear I used to use....
Don't risk putting your back out
Get some new lightweight gear

PS. A few months back, I was staggered at just how light the new Fender Rumble amps are!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1423478692' post='2685134']
There is a Barefaced Big Twin 2 in the Classifieds.

All the cab a rock bass player needs to dominate the world.
[/quote]
+1!
I can't believe it hasn't sold yet. They are amazing cabs, you simply can't believe the amount of oomph they deliver. You definitely wouldn't be lacking with one of these. I'm not a BF fanboi, they might not be to your taste, it works brilliantly for me but you should try as many as you can. There's some real good 2x12's on the market at the moment, I love the look of the Berg CN212, berg's always look classy.