Why become a member? ×

2 channel preamp suggestions

steviedee

The EBS microbass 2 is great, one of the inputs is optimised for piezo pickups so ideal for upright/EUB. One channel is a drive channel, however with the drive right down its still fairly clean/warm.
It also has an effects loop and headphone amp, not as easy to blend the signals as the radial :)

My 3-year-old memory is that the reason I sold my Tonebone was that it was purely a "tone shaper", something they don't exactly make a secret of so it was my failure that I didn't think that through.

It couldn't be used to add any significant boost, still less any drive, and at that time I felt I needed those options.

Like all Radial kit, the Tonebone is absolutely superb and I'm certainly not criticising it. Just make sure that it actually does what you need it to. :)

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1423329172' post='2683639']
The EBS microbass 2 is great, one of the inputs is optimised for piezo pickups so ideal for upright/EUB. One channel is a drive channel, however with the drive right down its still fairly clean/warm.
[/quote]
I was going to suggest this also. Didn't know about the piezo optimisation!

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1423336165' post='2683723']
Something like the K&K sound 2-channel battery preamp will do it. For something more sophisticated, have you considered a twin channel rack preamp?
[/quote]

I used to own the KK which was great but I'm looking for something that will work with the electric as well. Maybe a rack mounted thing but like the idea of a footswitch that's why the Headway is not quite right.

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1423334945' post='2683710']

I was going to suggest this also. Didn't know aut the piezo optimisation!
[/quote]

Channel B has a higher input impedance, than channel A ( A = 10 Mohm B = 1Mohm- i think this makes it a higher impedance).
I bought my original MB2 (I'm on my second) as I'd read the NS WAV I'd bought at the time required 1MOHM and i wanted to switch.
TBH not sure if optimised was the right word, but it did work very well with the WAV piezo. I had a radial bassbone which dones not have high impedance inputs and it does not drove a power amp very well ( I struggled with my Berg IP, with the bassbone).

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1423354769' post='2683959']
. I had a radial bassbone which dones not have high impedance inputs and it does not drove a power amp very well ( I struggled with my Berg IP, with the bassbone).
[/quote]

The new Bassbones do have a dedicated 10Meg piezo preamp now, but they are still unity gain pieces and as such are not meant to drive power amps.

I have a Providence Dual Bass Station, which I run with two basses, and it is a terrific piece of kit. It's 24 volt operation, so there's tons of headroom, 3 band eq with sweepable mids, mute, and tuner out. I much prefer it to the Tonebone I used to have, which I felt always sucked some tone out of the bass.

They are £300 in the UK, but I lucked into a new one from the US for £150 via eBay :)

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1423373878' post='2684011']

The new Bassbones do have a dedicated 10Meg piezo preamp now, but they are still unity gain pieces and as such are not meant to drive power amps.

yeah I did get very excited about the new bassbone, until I realised it was still unity gain. They have made a lot of improvements over the original. The RMI Bass witch looks great,however if I recall correctly the second channel does not have eq!

[/quote]

Edited by lee650

Thanks for all the replies, I've been speaking to a guy about potentially making a 2 channel version of the EWS Trilogic. It has a 1 mohm input impedance which I believe is good for the upright. I'd like something that allows me to switch between basses without having to mess about too much. Any thoughts on the EWS?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1423483905' post='2685236']
Given the price of many of the 2 channel preamps I'd be tempted to buy two cheaper preamps and set each one up differently for each instrument.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean, I'll wait and see what the custom builder guy comes back with.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1423387924' post='2684102']
I have a Providence Dual Bass Station, which I run with two basses, and it is a terrific piece of kit. It's 24 volt operation, so there's tons of headroom, 3 band eq with sweepable mids, mute, and tuner out. I much prefer it to the Tonebone I used to have, which I felt always sucked some tone out of the bass.

They are £300 in the UK, but I lucked into a new one from the US for £150 via eBay :)
[/quote]

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have been trying to find someone with one of these in the uk. Did you have to pay and duty or anything extra to get it from the US? also do you remember which store you bought it from?

Oh also do you need anything special to convert current?

Many thanks.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1423766478' post='2688849']
Sorry to derail the thread, but I have been trying to find someone with one of these in the uk. Did you have to pay and duty or anything extra to get it from the US? also do you remember which store you bought it from?

Oh also do you need anything special to convert current?

Many thanks.
[/quote]

It came from the US branch of Chuya Online via eBay, and I bought a PSU off eBay for a tenner.

You would normally pay duty and VAT on import.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1423387924' post='2684102']
[/quote]

I'm playing in the states in a couple of months, I'm going to try and pick one of these up.

Stevie, I just sold a brand new Basswitch :( great piece of kit, just too much going on for me. If I were running an e-bass and an upright, that would be my choice. I run a Dtar Solstice with my upright mixing two pickups. It's been the best option I've found so far.