Why become a member? ×

Heard my rig tonight - and am very pleased

Lozz196

Let another bassist use my rig tonight, at our gig in The Hope & Anchor, and am very pleased. He used the same settings I do, but with his Jazz bass rather than my Precision, and it sounded awesome. Said rig btw is an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 into a Barefaced Super 12T (with tweeter fully off). I could actually feel the bass thudding in my chest. So whilst I`m delighted with how good the rig performs, I`ll now be on a quest for a Jazz bass as was really impressed with the sound he got.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1423310076' post='2683335']
How light is the Barefaced Super 12T??
[/quote]
Ridiculously so - I`ve a bad back/shoulder, yet lifting it is no problem at all. The handles - oh no, I`ve mentioned the handles - are situated in exactly the right place to make the lift really easy, and the wheels handle car-park surfaces as well as they do indoor flooring. I like it so much I`ve now got two of them, for gigs when I need to make a visual impact as well as audible.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1423310418' post='2683342']
Another barefaced convert yay!! Oh and Lozz I have a black MiM jazz if ya wanna have a lend to play around.
[/quote]
Cheers Russ, will take you up on that very kind offer. Doing a covers gig this eve in The Watts Arms, Hanslope if you`re about.

And yes peoples, I know the thought of me getting all misty over a Jazz bass sounds incredulous, but I was just so knocked out by the sound that I`ve got to try it and see if it works for me.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423315974' post='2683415']
And yes peoples, I know the thought of me getting all misty over a Jazz bass sounds incredulous, but I was just so knocked out by the sound that I`ve got to try it and see if it works for me.
[/quote]

I'm amazed! First I open up a thread and hear you waxing lyrical about a non-Markbass, non-Ampeg rig, and now you're harking on about a Jazz? You used to be cool man :P

In all seriousness, if you heard something new that sounds better than what you've got, you'd be daft not to give it a go. That's why we're all here, right? Let me know how you get on, I've always loved the [i]idea[/i] of a jazz but never quite taken the plunge.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423275824' post='2683130']
Let another bassist use my rig tonight, at our gig in The Hope & Anchor, and am very pleased. He used the same settings I do, but with his Jazz bass rather than my Precision, and it sounded awesome. Said rig btw is an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 into a Barefaced Super 12T (with tweeter fully off). I could actually feel the bass thudding in my chest. So whilst I`m delighted with how good the rig performs, I`ll now be on a quest for a Jazz bass as was really impressed with the sound he got.
[/quote]

I have been playing bass guitar for close to 45 years and I have never understood why we attribute our sound solely to our bass. Doesn't the amp we use have an impact on your sound? For example, take a guy with a beautiful American Standard Fender Jazz Bass, however he/she is playing it through a inexpensive poor quality and poor sounding amp.

I attribute my sound to my bass, my GK RBX cabs, my amp and whatever the sound person does to my signal.

Does that make any sense?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423360639' post='2683992']
I have been playing bass guitar for close to 45 years and I have never understood why we attribute our sound solely to our bass. Doesn't the amp we use have an impact on your sound? For example, take a guy with a beautiful American Standard Fender Jazz Bass, however he/she is playing it through a inexpensive poor quality and poor sounding amp.

I attribute my sound to my bass, my GK RBX cabs, my amp and whatever the sound person does to my signal.

Blue
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense Blue - the Precision is the instrument for me I`m sure, but I`ve only really ever heard one other Jazz player get a sound I liked until Friday. The previous players sound was a totally different (valve) amp - which as you`ve pointed out plays a major part, whereas Fridays great sound was through my rig so I`ll be able to replicate it - especially as it was with my regular settings.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423358155' post='2683974']
Well I now have Oopsdabassists spare Jazz which he`s kindly lent me, so will report once I`ve done a good rehearsal with it.
[/quote]

Very welcome mate, sorry about the missing 'G' string (insert yer own jokes)

Great gig last night, killer tone and I mean that most sincerely, 2nd set was rockin hard!!
I think wee Ross was struggling with your long strap for his guest slot though, the bass was almost on the deck!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423360639' post='2683992']

Blue
[/quote]
Add the other players and the room to that, a bass only sounds like it does if it sits well with the other players and the whole only sounds as it does as the result of the constraints of the physical space. A good band and good sound guy are big players in good bass tone.

Edited by Beedster

• 4 weeks later...

Well an update to this, last night two other bands used my rig. This time, intstead of with my trebly/gnarly settings, just with everything apart from volume set at midday (volume not needed that far up). Warm, rich, and again had a thump in the chest, but still with enough definition on the notes to clearly make out what was being played. I can`t get over how good this rig sounds, and the versatility too - from JJ/Foxton-esque punk sounds to warm, rich yet clearly defined notes. Am very pleased with it indeed.

I was with Lozz till about 2pm on Saturday so I can confirm that he was OK. Whether he was was kidnapped and a doppleganger put in his place after 2pm I can't say. I sure that we can agree that he is now acting suspiciously un-Lozz-like... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by TheGreek

Fear not peoples, it will still be Precisions for me through this awesome rig, but I am having to admit that other basses do sound great through it as well - maybe my ears are maturing?????

Edited by Lozz196