Why become a member? ×

Squier Dimension Deluxe.

Painy

Recently I've started a complete change around of my basses moving away from 'boutique coffee tables' and towards the more classically styled Ps and Js.
Currently my recent acquisitions are a cheap and cheerful Harley Benton PJ and a Fender Modern Player Jazz (both fivers - don't do fours). Next on the cards I plan to get a Squier VM P5 but after that I'd like to complete the 'holy trinity' of P/J/MM. Now my budget would likely be more Sterling SUB than EBMM but I've also been looking at the Squier Dimension and wondered if anyone on here could give any insight into these basses and whether they can do the Ray thing effectively?

Weirdly I've had no luck finding anything on YouTube for the Squier. There are videos for the Fender USA Standard and the Modern Player (which is a bit of a different animal anyway with its passive circuit and triplebucker). To my ears the Standard does seem to do a pretty good MM impression in those videos so I'm hoping that the Squire version will get as close to the Fender as the VM P5 does to it's own Fender equivalent in terms of tone and quality.

Edited by Painy

I owned a modern player (?) dimension bass for about 5 hours, and took it back to swap for a jazz, for me there was one half way decent position out of the five on the pickup, and through a proper big gigging amp it sounded awful. To me,anyway, I play hard rock mostly. It was beautifully made, however,and looked great. So I would say make sure its a sound you want before commiting, because it's pretty much a one trick pony ( assuming its the same pup as on the one I had ).

All I can say is I had the Fender Modern Player Made in China one, and it had a terrible pickup! I didnt like the 5 way tone knob either, the volumes dramatically changed between the five of them. It was also awful playing with a pick as I do because if the pick made contact with the pickup it would make an absolutely awful sound.

I sold it pretty quickly! Its the worst bass I've owned but it was the best looking bass I've owned at the same time.

Saying that, it could be that I picked up one of dogs, as I bought the bass on looks when I was in the shop rather than how it played to me - amateur mistake!

Edited by Weststarx

The 2 posts above show the reason I was looking at the Squier rather than the Modern Player - I don't like the look of the pickup with its 3 rails or the idea of the selector instead of any kind of actual tone control.
The Squier appears to be more of a classic MM style humbucker and has a 3 band active pre which I was hoping would allow it to give a Ray type sound.

I took delivery of my Squier Dimension Dlx V 2 days ago. My mate has the full US spec Dlx V and I fell in love with it so when these came up, it was a no brainier as I only want it as a back up / travel bass. The bass out of the box wasn't badly setup but, it's not how I have my basses setup, obviously. It looks wonderful, feels wonderful and built well and, on first testing, the pickup sounds great. I'll wait to give a more in depth report once it has been set up the way I like it and played properly through my rig and, next to my mates US Dlx V. So far though, it's ace and a much nicer weight and feel to the Squier VM Jazz V I had and, that was lovely. Definitely punching above it's weight for £271 via Thomann.

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 1

It reminds me a lot of my Status Groove.
I would be tempted if it had a flatter fingerboard radius,but the 1 pup/3 band eq ticks my boxes.
A previous poster said the Modern Player version was a one trick pony,but I think that the Squier one will be more versatile.
My Groove has a 2 band eq,and I have got a passable P-bass tone from it,so don't let the 1 pup put you off,

I tried the new Squier Dimension bass yesterday and compared it with an SUB. To be honest, as nice as the Dimension was (and it really was up to the Squier VM standards) the pickup sound didn't do the classic MM sound to me. It felt too much like a modern, active bass and lacked a bit of soul. It sounded good though, it just didn't do that funky honk sound. The SUB had that classic tone. I had a go of a mate's OLP 5 string that, despite being passive, got that stingray tone down a treat too.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1423394298' post='2684204']
I tried the new Squier Dimension bass yesterday and compared it with an SUB. To be honest, as nice as the Dimension was (and it really was up to the Squier VM standards) the pickup sound didn't do the classic MM sound to me. It felt too much like a modern, active bass and lacked a bit of soul. It sounded good though, it just didn't do that funky honk sound. The SUB had that classic tone. I had a go of a mate's OLP 5 string that, despite being passive, got that stingray tone down a treat too.
[/quote]

Interesting. A bit disappointing as I really do love the look of it but it's the classic Ray sound that I'm really after. Still might be worth trying one out though if the quality is there as you say.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1423397727' post='2684250']
Interesting. A bit disappointing as I really do love the look of it but it's the classic Ray sound that I'm really after. Still might be worth trying one out though if the quality is there as you say.
[/quote]

Yes, definitely worth checking out still. You may hear the tone you want from it still :)

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1423398009' post='2684255']
Size-wise,how do they compare to a P-bass?
[/quote]

I have had a couple of US P Basses and the neck on the Dimension is a little friendlier than a P bass and the body is smaller but, still very comfortable. The neck is a nice C shape and very comfortable to play. I'd say it was an 18mm string spacing in the 5 string Dimension :)

• Like 1

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1423394298' post='2684204']
[/quote]

I wasn't looking for a MM tone to be honest. I just wanted something a little different that wasn't a Precision or a Jazz and the Dimension basses fitted that bill. If you are an MM fan (please don't shoot me but I'm not though I have tried) I can see why there might be a need to try and compare but not knowing enough about MMs, I'm probably not best qualified to set out a comparison. Interesting point though Mornats :)

No worries! I'm actually a jazz bass man but I thought the pickup position of the Dimension would suggest a Musicman type sound. But if you're after a different sound to a P, J or MM then this bass might be right up your street. It's a quality instrument for sure with a different sound to other Fender instruments.

My main squeeze is my Vigier Excess V which does everything and my go to bass so, the Dimension, as you say, just offers something a little different. I've been a P bass man (both 4 & 5) most of my life, I've tried Jazz basses etc so the Vigier, the Dimension and my '86 P covers all ground I feel :)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1423397727' post='2684250']

[/quote]
When I was chasing the MM tone I found out that the easiest way to obtain it was to save up and buy a musicman. It will save you money in the long run.

Tried one today in a head to head with an Ibanez ATK200 and I was underwhelmed to say the least.
First,I found that the sound was uninspiring and weak compared to the ATK,and secondly the bass wanted to hang horizontally,not at a neck up angle which I prefer.
This has finally put me off Fender completely,but for others this will be a dream bass.

The beauty of taste and bass, not everything works for everyone. We all have our own needs when it comes to our basses. Luckily, the Dimension is not a main bass for me, it was to have something different as stated before and for that reason, it works well. It was never going to compete with my Vigier but then, I didn't want it to :) I've been having fun with the Squier and can see it staying around for a while. Horses for courses. Happy days :)