Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1423054266' post='2680015']
With the learning from pros thing, has anyone had a lesson with a named pro player? Cause I certainly want some! The pros are pro for a reason and if I can learn a little bit from whomever I meet of them then I'll be happy!
[/quote]
Yes - well a lesson from a pro who plays with some very big name players (recommended by Jake).

I'm sure that everyone here could learn from the top pros, but probably not on a forum. What I would suggest is to book a one-off lesson, send him a few live YouTube clips and ask for a critique of your playing. Of course when you get there, ask them lots of questions.

There some pros who are incredible technical musicians, but most are very solid, experienced players with a great ear. I always thought that I had a decent ear, but the guy I went to was different class...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1423067269' post='2680285']
I dunno?
I've met quite a few pro footballers. Can they articulate about their sport with any insight?
I've met quite a few pro musicians....

PS

Never meet your heroes.
[/quote]

Same thing and a fascinating subject about what it takes to play at a level most of us can only imagine..
Friend of mine ...hard crafting midfield destroyer, not too much skill ... was playing at local Conference type level
and he said he was marking Peter Taylor in a game.. He said he was really looking forward to it and baring in mind Peter
Taylor was nearing 40 or so at the time. I asked him how he got on as he was so much younger and he said he couldn't get NEAR
him..even enough to kick him as the speed of movement and thought was on another level..

Just to remind people ...Peter T was capped for England 16 or so times, iirc... so just imagine how good was Gazza..and he struggled to
speak... just as well he didn't need to play football....

That is why you need to get close to these people to know/understand how good they are... IMO

Best muso I've played with may have been considered world class in his time and IMO, he is still the best
player around in our little world ...BY FAR... and that is a pretty decent pool with some very decent players in it...
but its all relative..IMO.

I had never really heard of compression before, so i can say i have learned a lot from having a pro on here. Not that it was the way i would`ve liked or intended to find out about a subject.
As for learning from a pro, i guess it depends on what you are asking. If you ask the right question, i would imagine they could be a treasure trove of info if they were willing to impart it. I find some of the Youtube clips of a couple of the pros we had on here very helpful. I would have liked to have asked one in particular a question on one of his videos he posted, sadly, i won`t get that chance.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423009884' post='2679659']
Totally agree. That was exactly my point on another thread. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It would be much more [b]useful[/b] on here to have professional techs, sound engineers, luthiers, recording engineers, producers, tour managers etc. than pro players.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yes it would wouldn't it....

Apologies to everyone for being a part of pissing someone off who turned up out of no where and stated a fact that isn't actually true with an over enthusiastic rebuttel. I didn't knoiw he was a pro bassist who has done a million miles on the strength of his playing, and I dont really care, sorry. Then again why should that make any difference at all?

What he said was his opinion (and stated incredibly rudely in the first place - although he subsequently deleted that post), he's welcome to it, my opinion was that what he said was in fact somewhat too black and white and not one he could back up with real data. The fact that he is a pro is not relevant to 99% of the people on this forum and the places they are playing so some of his advice wont marry up with their experiences, I gave the other view.

Should we not have our own opinion and make it if it is in someway different from a player who can label themselves a pro for some reason? Seriously? We aren't allowed to respond to a pro if we don't agree with them. Can I suggest that everyone who is a pro must now declare themselves a pro in their avatar so I know when to keep my enormous gob shut then for fear of causing offense.....

Or I could just follow him out the door if you'd all prefer

Its rather like all the antagonism towards Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Clabber though. And you wonder why they hardly ever post.

Edited by 51m0n

For what its worth the most inciteful pro player I've spent any time with at all was Herbie Flowers, I first met him in a studio in Brighton where I was tape oping in the very very early nineties.

He was 'producing' a band of young up and coming chaps at the time. The most down to earth guy I've ever met in the music business ever. He didnt worry about the tech stuff, but he got them in the right mood (oh yeah maaaan), helped them with structures kept their quality of output up, and their moral sky high too. I had no idea who he was. He treated me with kindness and humanity from the moment he met me.

I've subsequently met him many times, chatted to him a lot, heard what he had to say to my eldest when helping him, seen his generosity first hand as well.

But the single most amazing thing was watching him play a load of those old tracks he cut in the 70's with his little band, and realising how incredibly musical he could make one note, where I would probably have played 6. When I asked him about it his simple answer was "They didnt pay me by the note though, did they Si". Genius!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1423069681' post='2680328']

But the single most amazing thing was watching him play a load of those old tracks he cut in the 70's with his little band, and realising how incredibly musical he could make one note, where I would probably have played 6. When I asked him about it his simple answer was "They didnt pay me by the note though, did they Si". Genius!
[/quote] I guess that is an one answer to the people who ask what makes a musician a pro

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1423069360' post='2680323']

Apologies to everyone for being a part of pissing someone off who turned up out of no where and stated a fact that isn't actually true with an over enthusiastic rebuttel. I didn't knoiw he was a pro bassist who has done a million miles on the strength of his playing, and I dont really care, sorry. Then again why should that make any difference at all?

What he said was his opinion (and stated incredibly rudely in the first place - although he subsequently deleted that post), he's welcome to it, my opinion was that what he said was in fact somewhat too black and white and not one he could back up with real data. The fact that he is a pro is not relevant to 99% of the people on this forum and the places they are playing so some of his advice wont marry up with their experiences, I gave the other view.

Should we not have our own opinion and make it if it is in someway different from a player who can label themselves a pro for some reason? Seriously? We aren't allowed to respond to a pro if we don't agree with them. Can I suggest that everyone who is a pro must now declare themselves a pro in their avatar so I know when to keep my enormous gob shut then for fear of causing offense.....

Or I could just follow him out the door if you'd all prefer

Its rather like all the antagonism towards Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Clabber though. And you wonder why they hardly ever post.
[/quote]I'm totally with you on this . Though it appears I'm in the minority .

The outcome was really unfortunate , especially for someone who's playing many of us have probably admired for years .

Pro , or not pro , he really did himself no favours with his dogmatic approach .

Everyone is entitled to their opinion etc , and I personally don't use that effect ; but nor do I use chorus , but I'm hardly likely to say that those that do , use it as a crutch , instead of practicing good vibrato .

Think he alluded to something similar over on Talkbass - maybe a coincidence? Who knows .

All in though , bit of a shame all round .

[/quote]

I agree with you.

It's rather like all the antagonism towards Bill Fitzmaurice and Alex Claber...
[/quote]

Well I've never really understood that - my communications with both have been nothing if not a positive experience where I learn something new and interesting every time. Is it jealousy, do you think? Or are some people annoyed that the laws of physics don't correspond with their opinions? :biggrin:

[size=4][quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422994661' post='2679338']
...what do you think we would learn from them that is not available from other sources, including each other as members?
[/quote][/size]

[size=4]I think we'd learn that gear is probably nowhere near as important as we like to think it is.[/size]

[size=4]But nobody wants to hear that, right?? :D[/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1423073010' post='2680378']
I think we'd learn that gear is probably nowhere near as important as we like to think it is.
But nobody wants to hear that, right?? :D
[/quote]

You're spot on there Paul - and yes I DO want to hear it - I can't afford much more bloody gear. :mellow:
I haven't had a holiday for about twelve years!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422994908' post='2679344']
Not a lot really. Your average pro doesn't have the time or inclination to be as much of a gear nerd as your committed amateur or semi-pro. Though Guy Pratt did help SpaceChick with some Pink Floyd bass-tone information, I believe - before he mysteriously disappeared. ;)
[/quote]

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but yes. Guy Pratt was AWESOME helping me. He sorted out my pedal settings remotely for some of my set list tracks. He was friendly, helpful and happy to support simple old me playing in a Floyd tribute band when he'd spent time being the main man in Floyd after Roger Waters departure. I can honestly say his support was outstanding and really humbling to see such a legend prepared to help a fellow far less experienced bassist....... And then the community treated him badly and he left :(

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423076539' post='2680442']
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but yes. Guy Pratt was AWESOME helping me. He sorted out my pedal settings remotely for some of my set list tracks. He was friendly, helpful and happy to support simple old me playing in a Floyd tribute band when he'd spent time being the main man in Floyd after Roger Waters departure. I can honestly say his support was outstanding and really humbling to see such a legend prepared to help a fellow far less experienced bassist....... And then the community treated him badly and he left :(
[/quote]

Which is what we've ( collectively ) done over and over. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423076539' post='2680442']
[/quote]

"The main man in Floyd after Roger Waters departure"??

I would have thought that particular title belonged very much to David Gilmour.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423077142' post='2680457']

"The main man in Floyd after Roger Waters departure"??

I would have thought that particular title belonged very much to David Gilmour.
[/quote]

Nah, I think like a bassist ;)

Although in fairness, there are so many rumours that David Gilmour did much of the bass accredited to Waters. And certainly he didn't do the fretless work on the wall when I saw it live and left it to the session bassist ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423076972' post='2680454']
Which is what we've ( collectively ) done over and over. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
[/quote]

Yes but not all for the same reason. What I remember is (hopefully correctly) ..

I remember the Mani thread, IIRC there were some dozy questions, lots of welcomes, not a lot useful, just, I love me Rickenbackers. Yolanda Charles probably got inundated, as I imagine Mani did. Probably a ton of PMs.

Janek had too many spats and then had the piss taken excessively by tBBC.

Guy P was referred to in an anecdote about telling some iffy jokes and people jumped on the bandwagon.

Vail Johnson (who virtually no-one here had heard of, think I remember reading about him in '80s US guitar mags, completely forgotten about him though) made a very bold statement and got pounced on, fairly IMO but a bit too viciously.

Dunno what's happened to Jerry Scheff, but he refuted HJ's neggy book review and they became friendly.

Lemmy called discreet a w***er and couldn't believe the tornado-level backlash and got frightened off ..

Who else has been on here? What have we learned from them?

[/quote]

Mr Fitzmaurice does have a posting style which is sometimes less than entirely endearing though - I think it comes as standard with a certain type of technically inclined person. Like that thread on 10" speaker choices where he decided to brag about his car and how often he gets laid! Still, the useful advice outweighs this sort of thing, so I guess we live with this...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423077901' post='2680475']

Lemmy called discreet a w***er and couldn't believe the tornado-level backlash and got frightened off ..

[/quote]

:lol: PMSL I didn't know this! Funniest thing I have read today.

But he may have had a point....... ;)

Sorry Discreet, you know I loves ya really :P

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423077901' post='2680475']

[/quote]

Really?

Did Lemmy use red Marshalls? :P

I never knew Lemmy even knew about BC.