Why become a member? ×

If there were more Pro/Name Bassists on BC ..

xilddx

.. who actually had the time and inclination to contribute, say, 200 posts a year, what do you think we would learn from them that is not available from other sources, including each other as members?

And another thought, are there things they can learn from us amateur/semi pro members?

[size=5][color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Without going into WHY they are [b]NOT[/b] posting here please! [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by xilddx

Not a lot really. Your average pro doesn't have the time or inclination to be as much of a gear nerd as your committed amateur or semi-pro. Though Guy Pratt did help SpaceChick with some Pink Floyd bass-tone information, I believe - before he mysteriously disappeared. ;)

Edited by discreet

In other words, what do we think they know, that we don't know? Good question!

I once read an interview with Leland Sklar, and the two 'professional secrets' that stuck in my mind were:
(1) On a job, he acts like he [i]does[/i] give a sh!t; and
(2) A good bass sound is a good bass sound, and he'll use it on any kind of music.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422994908' post='2679344']
Not a lot really. Your average pro doesn't have the time or inclination to be as much of a gear nerd as your committed amateur or semi-pro. Though Guy Pratt did help SpaceChick with some Pink Floyd bass-tone information, I believe - before he mysteriously disappeared. ;)
[/quote]
Yes we do seem to scare them off, don't we!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1422995862' post='2679376']
Both Yolanda Charles and Mani were overwhelmed/ inundated when they were more active - you can sort of understand why some would want to try to fly under the Radar....
[/quote]

Yep, but not really related to the question :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422994661' post='2679338']
.. who actually had the time and inclination to contribute, say, 200 posts a year, what do you think we would learn from them that is not available from other sources, including each other as members?

And another thought, are there things they can learn from us amateur/semi pro members?
[/quote]
Well I learnt that at least some top end pros won't even consider using compression as part of their rig and leave it all to FoH, so that they can retain some feel.

They might learn that playing the Dog and Duck without PA support might require compression to be added by the bassist. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1422996151' post='2679382']
Ironically I have a pro mate that is the biggest gear nerd I know so I'm not so sure about the idea they don't have time for playing with new gadgets etc.
[/quote]

Maybe they don't have time to be gear nerds AND frequent basschat then?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1422996463' post='2679393']

Maybe they don't have time to be gear nerds AND frequent basschat then?
[/quote]

That might be nearer the mark! He is a member here actually but how would you know what people are up to anyway unless they posted about it, maybe its the quiet ones with the best gigs?

Possibly get some insight to the more general things that get discussed on here - image being one (including the use of specific basses for that reason), there are probably some crackers Pro/Name bassists could add to the Strange Things People Say To You At Gigs thread. Not sure what value they would be on here on the gear front though, as they are playing in such a different setting from most.

I would say that , to echo what's been said , that most 'pros' would actually learn more about the intricacies of gear from us , than we would of most of them .

The 'compression gate' thread , I would say proved that - I'd wager 51mon knows more than most .

I am sure there are a few "pro" players on basschat ....wateroftyne has gigged with Marknopfler ...how much more "Pro" can you get :lol: ( I for one am very envious!)

I know that's not what you asked Nigel ( I know your name via osmosis rather than any real friendship so I apologies if that is too personal :blush: )

I think that the example earlier of spacechick being helped by Guy Pratt is a good example of what the Pro/named player can bring to the forum.

I would also be interested in anything they can say about how they got the breaks and some "on the road" stories would be fun ...but maybe that's a little too trivial for here and best left to a book or blog.

This is the second thread that has alluded to a compression thread being contensious....I must seek it out .....I have no idea what compression does :ph34r:

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1422997889' post='2679431']
I am sure there are a few "pro" players on basschat ....wateroftyne has gigged with Marknopfler ...how much more "Pro" can you get :lol: ( I for one am very envious!)

I know that's not what you asked Nigel ( I know your name via osmosis rather than any real friendship so I apologies if that is too personal :blush: )

I think that the example earlier of spacechick being helped by Guy Pratt is a good example of what the Pro/named player can bring to the forum.

I would also be interested in anything they can say about how they got the breaks and some "on the road" stories would be fun ...but maybe that's a little too trivial for here and best left to a book or blog.

This is the second thread that has alluded to a compression thread being contensious....I must seek it out .....I have no idea what compression does :ph34r:
[/quote]

Mate, call me what you like :)

Apart from 'Brian' ;)

Apologies to Brian :D

On another forum that I moderate, there was question of being able to have contact with a very big name in the lefty bass world. The forum members were asked "What would you like to ask the fellow..?". There was an embarrassed silence for a while; one or two wanted to know what strings he preferred, another couple "Which bass did you play on that famous song..?". In short, no-one really had any idea as to how to address him with anything more 'meaningful', and the occasion passed by.
It's not certain that the points of view of 'names' are really that much in phase with forums at all. There are exceptions, and it's no reflection on either the quality of the forum nor that of the 'name', but I doubt, if there was a Venn diagram, that there'd be an enormous overlap.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1422998112' post='2679439']
They can always answer, with absolute authority, any questions about how they got [i]that[/i] tone on [i]that [/i]song.
[/quote]

Hahaha! You reckon? They can possibly tell you what bass they played, maybe what amp they used, but after that the sound is all in the hands of the geezer mixing the album :)

And I'm wondering if that information is of any use anyway. But I've an open mind on that.