Why become a member? ×

10's, 12's or 15's?

Skybone

One thing to bear in mind, is that when you are regularly playing venues of more than a couple of hundred capacity your choice of back line and cabs in particular are of little relevance other than looks and pose value.

For the audience, apart from a handful at the front directly in front of the cabs the bass sound will be 100% delivered through the PA. On stage unless your performance consists entirely of standing still a couple of feet away from your rig, the bass sound will be mostly supplied through the monitors whether those of in-ears or side-fills and wedge speakers.

Even if you do have your rig mic'd up it will be a single mic as close as possible to one speaker in one cab. Therefore everything else is simply there for show to look good.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1432286492' post='2779983']
Not in music maybe (where creativity and individuality are valued - unless you are a certain type of session player!) but in pretty much every other field, the pros are significantly better than the talented amateurs - which is why people are prepared to [b][i]pay[/i][/b] for their services! :)
[/quote]

What if someone chooses not to go pro? ;)

This is the usual tedious one-sided tug-of-war. One side thinks the text book is more important than your ears and shouts down anyone who disagrees or thinks that ears are more important.

There are talented cab builders who will impart the facts in a helpful way and those who prefer to use a sledgehammer.

Some don't care for anything other than the purest message. There are no shades of grey, only black and white. That approach causes more problems than the message.

Apparently there is something wrong with me and everyone else who don't accept that black and white are the only choices. There are many talented cab builders who are building "shades of grey" cabs and, in actual fact, they sound great.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432295127' post='2780104']
This is the usual tedious one-sided tug-of-war. One side thinks the text book is more important than your ears and shouts down anyone who disagrees or thinks that ears are more important.
[/quote]Show us an example. The only 'shouting' I've seen is from those who say that what they hear, or what they think that they hear, is all important, and that the science behind it is irrelevent, if not flat out wrong. Innumerable scientists have had to suffer this same nonsense, no matter what their field of study, going all the way back to Aristotle, extending right through to Hawking. If you don't understand how gear works and have only your ears to rely on that's all well and good. You don't have to be Enzo Ferrari to know how to drive a Ferrari. You do have to be Enzo Ferrari to invent the Ferrari. :happy:

I don't know anyone who has said the science is irrelevant, but you are constantly telling people that what they hear and like is wrong because the science says it isn't right. So no one can like anything if it doesn't fit with your view of how the science should be implemented.

We get the science but there is a place in this world for a good 410's and 810's without us being constantly derided for our choices.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1432286770' post='2779989']
I think there certainly is now! :( To be fair, BFM's comment about being as good as "anybody" was a bit inflammatory given the present company... But this is turing into a bit of a willy-waving contest, isn't it? <_< :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Well, BFM did kind of ask for it, posting that... and tbf, VJ's all over youtube so it is kind of out there for all to see, anyway.

Obviously, some people get lucky in a professional environment and they might never really have the skill-set to
play for anyone else..or certainly not as a polular sideman but you don't get lucky as a 1st call.

Another thing... it is always cool to get the drummer liking what you do. That way, if you hit it off, then you can be regarded as a pair
and you both recommend each other on the gig as you know you compliment each other,
I did a BB King Tribute gig last night and it was good to get nice things said from 3 drummers...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432315128' post='2780435']
...you are constantly telling people that what they hear and like is wrong because the science says it isn't right.
[/quote]Show me where I did so. Please. Just once I'd like to see proof of what I'm accused of. Or ignore me. But do me the courtesy of not putting words in my mouth.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='vailbass' timestamp='1432245797' post='2779762']
but I was responding to someone who wrote that they would trust the ears, experience, perspective and judgement of a novice over a pro.
[/quote]

I never said "novice" so thats a gross misrepresentation of what I said. I value the opinions of people who buy gear using their own money and who in many cases have been playing for decades in the same sorts of venues that I play more than I value the opinion of someone who gets given stuff and has other people to take care of what they sound like.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1432252441' post='2779817']
That comes across as a bit personal. Is there some history of conflict here?

Frank.
[/quote] absolutely, he pulled the same crap on Talkbass website; lording scientific knowledge over all else; everyone is sick of his drivel there and now he's polluting this website with the same acedemic elitist approach. Now that he wants to compare actual bass playing, I'm so happy!! :-) still waiting for those clips to back up your statements Mr. F. :-) :D :D :D

Edited by vailbass

[quote name='vailbass' timestamp='1432382424' post='2781008']
absolutely, he pulled the same crap on Talkbass website; lording scientific knowledge over all else; everyone is sick of his drivel there and now he's polluting this website with the same acedemic elitist approach. Now that he wants to compare actual bass playing, I'm so happy!! :-) still waiting for those clips to back up your statements Mr. F. :-) :D :D :D
[/quote]

That's a bit harsh!

It's only an internet forum. That sounds like he's insulted your mother or something equally monstrous. :D

I for one enjoy Bill's posts and he's welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

That doesn't mean I won't enjoy your posts as well. ;)

Frank.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1432411703' post='2781277']
[/quote]

Amen to that.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1432411703' post='2781277']

[/quote]

I agree, he has good knowledge and is very useful suggesting typical chassis replacement which is indicative of
his general knowledge of various speakers gained over the years.

Havings said that, VJ's perspective from the top end of the playing scale is a great resource as well. IMO

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432462032' post='2781602']

Havings said that, VJ's perspective from the top end of the playing scale is a great resource as well. IMO
[/quote]

Most definately!

I did say that in my post as well but maybe didn't make it as clear as I should.

Frank.