Why become a member? ×

Funny things that people say to you at gigs

Tom Brookes Music

Years ago, we played at a hall in a village on the Isle of Mull. It was packed and turned into a great night. Next day on the ferry, this guy approached us and asked " were you the band that played in the hall last night?" We replied rather confidently, " yeah man" the guy looked us up and down and said " you should be called the loud machine, couldn't hear myself think, and that coat you were wearing" referring to our guitarists long stage wear , " I've got one like that, but I wear it to bed!"

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1427481855' post='2731051']
Donkeys years ago, at a pub or workie club in Tamworth, playing with a band of old fogies doing Dave Edmunds and Shadows type rock n roll covers to a disinterested dozen or so people, 2 of who were playing pool in front of what passed for a stage.

One of them walked up to me between numbers and asked me to turn my amp down as I was moving the balls on the pool table and it was affecting his game.

By the way, I was using an HH IC100 guitar amp and a 4 X 12. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

That happened to us years ago. We played at an ATC dance. Our PA set up was an HH 100 wat amp and one of the organisers , donned a pair of ear defenders and proceeded to walk around measuring noise levels!
Later he announced to us in disgust that we were louder than a Typhoon taking off!
Anyone who has used an HH 100 watt amp will realise that this is a physical impossibility!

After being heavily advertised as a punk-rock covers band:

"Do you guys play any jive?"

After a swift (ie half a song) soundcheck:

"Aw, have you finished playing already?"

Both of the above at the same gig, by the same guy, shortly before face planting the bar-room floor...

Although, so far the strangest experience was being approached by a midget in the bar toilets before the gig, and discussing the relative power outputs of hand-dryers... He then proceeded to get very drunk and started getting naked on the dance floor...

We had a couple of George Thorogood songs in our set which clearly was not enough for one guy at the back, who somewhat the worse for wear would not stop shouting "I Drink Alone" at the end of song. Eventually getting somewhat fed up, next time he did it I shoved my way to the mike and nailed him with "I'm not surprised". His mates fell about.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1423087813' post='2680711']
I can just imagine a didgeridoo set...
"Thank you very much, that was an original tune called 'Ooma-ooma-oomoomooma-oom'. Ok, i'd like to slow it down a bit now, here's one you might recognise, it's called 'Ooma-ooma-oomoomooma-oom'... Two three four..."
[/quote]

I've seen a digeridoo cover of 'Sex on Fire'. It went something like:

Ooma-ooma-oomoomooma-oom
WOOOOAAAOOOH
Ooma-ooma-oomoomooma-oom
MY SEX IS ON FIRE
Ooma-ooma-oomoomooma-oom

• 2 weeks later...

At a gig at a small pub with a very very small 'stage' in a small town near Tamworth a couple of years ago.

As soon as the doors opened a stroppy looking old boy comes up to me and in a very demanding tone wanted to know if there were any of the original members still playing with us.

He didnt stay for the gig, didnt even have a drink. I often wonder who he thought we were

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1428800520' post='2744706']
"You sound just like Roger Waters but you have better tits" a rather drunk fellow in tonight's gig in Pontypool
[/quote]

You know the rule, pictures or it never happened!
:D

Edited by Bikenbass

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1428800520' post='2744706']
"You sound just like Roger Waters but you have better tits" a rather drunk fellow in tonight's gig in Pontypool
[/quote]

This had led me to wonder how Guy Pratt's tits measured up...

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1428832503' post='2744901']

You know the rule, pictures or it never happened!
:D
[/quote]

You can see a pic of me from last nights gig in my black tshirt if you like!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1428832912' post='2744910']

This had led me to wonder how Guy Pratt's tits measured up...
[/quote]

This made me proper laugh!!

We (rocky blues) played after the bingo in a Grangemouth club years ago. The only two women under 60 in the place (they late twenties and attractive) approached me afterwards and made some small talk. Just as they were leaving one of them said...'by the way....you were s--t-'

Sorry to namedrop but once played a celebrity party and Sting approached the drummer in the loo and said "you guys are pretty good, how long have you been together as a band?", being a complete scratch band for the night he answed "about 31/2 hours", to which Sting replied "in that case you guys are F****ing great"

We played on Saturday night. Out and out classic rock, Zep, Cream, Free etc, etc.

Had a cracking gig and the place was rocking. A young couple at the bar spent the whole gig bouncing around and appearing to thoroughly enjoy themselves too.

I came off and was approached by said young couple and after exchanging a few kind words, the guy told me he used to play bass. He then asked "do you do any of your own songs?"

"No" I replied, "just covers".

"Cool" he said, "what sort of stuff do you do?"

I sh*t ye not.................

Edited by Deedee